Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" Review

Disclaimer: I am not a professional reviewer. I am just an enthusiast and competitor who likes to test things out from time to time and give my feedback on them for other consumers to consider. Hopefully this review will serve as an accurate testament to what this driver is all about and help you make and educated decision on whether this driver is for you or not. With that said, lets get started...

Incriminator Audio is run by Nick Wright and Josh Proctor and the company is based out of Alabama. While the company name gets a somewhat mixed reaction, their company slogan "No Chrome, No Carbon Fiber, No B.S." is something we need from more companies these days. As their product line will show, they do indeed hold true to their moto with some nice looking and very solid built speakers.

Upon opening the box for the Lethal Injection 10" I was greeted with a build quality inspection sheet outlining the fact that this driver passed the quality control inspection. I also found a sheet with all of the driver's parameters as well as a bag of screws to use for mounting the sub. The overall packaging was very nice and solid to prevent anything getting banged up during shipping. The driver itself boasts a black four spoke venezuala basket and a pretty beefy magnet structure. Its a pretty clean little driver. Lets get this thing set up...

According to the parameter sheet, this woofer works equally well in sealed and ported applications. In my experience sealed boxes are more my speed and the recommendation was 0.5-1.5 cubic feet for this beast with an RMS rating of 500w. I generally prefer a larger box to maximize efficiency and give a bit more grunt down low and I'm also an advocate of less power, so I loaded the 10" into approximately 1.25 cubic foot sealed box with around 300w of power. It was crossed over at 50Hz and loaded into the car (tested in both my Trans Am and Neon with similar results). The listening material used in this test ran the gammet from classical, blues, and jazz to soft and heavy rock to rap and hip hop. How did it fare? Lets find out...

In car audio there are usually two types of sounds that speakers attribute. One sound is a smooth, mellow sound that is easy on the ears much like a silk dome tweeter. The other type of sound is more of an aggressive sound that attacks the listener with the music much like a metal dome tweeter. Most woofers fall somewhere in between these two types of sound. The Lethal Injection 10" is more toward the latter. Tonally this sub reminds me very much of the Resonant Engineering SE series from with I tested a 10" version. I personally felt that this sub lacked a little in the classical/blues/jazz area but takes especially well to double kick drum assaults from heavy metal and throbbing bass lines from hip hop and rap. It's impact is top-notch as it kicks you right in the chest beat after beat. Overhang is very minimal, only getting tripped up on the very complex bass lines. To top all of this off, this thing can get loud, bringing out quite a few rattles in both vehicles it was tested in and putting the hurt on this listener. There are always compromises though, and for these good attributes, there will likely be a few bad ones as well.

The shortcomings of this subwoofer I will attribute to the box I was using. While Incriminator states that the driver is equally suited for sealed and ported applications, I feel this would be a much stronger subwoofer ported in a low tuned box. I'm a large sealed box kind of guy and this sub just doesn't work for the applications I like. The very low frequency information, while present, was a little weak compared to the rest of the bass and contributed to a bit of a "tubby" sound. To me, this isn't a sealed box subwoofer unless you have an equalizer to work with. A low tuned ported enclosure would have picked up that lower bass and leveled everything out, not to mention make this thing that much more brutal in the output department. If you're looking to go ported and need a woofer to sound great and still pound, I think this is an amazing value. An equalizer could have tuned down the upper peak in the sealed box and allowed the sub to play a more balanced bass line, but these tests were conducted without any equalization since most people dont use heavy equalization in their vehicles. Also keep in mind that this was a review of a 10" subwoofer, and the 12" Lethal Injection's advantage in cone area may help out in the subsonic department as well.

Besides the tubbiness of the frequency response and the resulting peak in upper bass of this particular application there wasn't alot of shortcomings to this driver. Most drivers that exhibit this aggressive sound take a little work to blend properly into a front stage if you're going for a transparent sound but the results can be very worthwhile if you take the time to set it up right. The beauty of a design such as this is also nice for the average Joe next door who doesn't have a set of capable speakers up front and wants his sub to fill in some of the lower midbass notes making for a very flexible speaker that can work for anyone ranging from the guy who wants a little low end fill to Billy Basshead who wants the loudest street beater on the block.

In conclusion, Incriminator Audio's midline offering (lower line offering is the 187 series and the beast of the product lineup is the Death Penalty drivers) packs quite a punch for the money. It can provide sledge hammer bass that bring the pain to your ears and your chest or it can sit back and fill in where your front stage leaves off. I think the true strength of this driver is it's versatility for a wide variety of applications. If you think this may be a driver you're interested in, visit Incriminator's website at www.incriminatoraudio.com and give Nick Wright or Josh Proctor a call and let them set you up with one.