+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

  1. #1
    Papermaker85's Avatar
    Papermaker85 is online now Better built than bought!



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New orleans LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)

    Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    ceramic dome tweeters initial impression

    1" ceramic dome tweeter cloth surround. Edge driven but for me as a prototype!

    Head unit is a AVH-X4800BS

    not exactly the best sounding unit but it has a decent amount of processing power.

    X over 3.15khz and 4khz ceramic dome tweeters
    Placement for now on the dash next to the a-pillar 15 degrees off axis.

    Amp phoenix gold xenon 200.4 im gonna take a wil guess and say a solid 50 watts is plenty. Excellent sensitivity.

    Mids are custom build based on a platform the build house had. Its long gap long coil design with a coil would for very low inductance and excellent heat dissipation. Carbon cone. Crossed between 2500hz and 3150hz 90 degrees off axis. Has No problem play up to 5k+ but of course as with all 6.5s off axis more realistically 2500 to 3k.

    As compared to silks
    Just as forgiving but better damped down low. More airy and higher energy.

    As compared to cloth. Very similar to the excellent cloth/fiber tweeters still over all more airy and more natural around 2500..

    As compared to hard dome. Not quite as sharp but not quite the air similar output an efficiency but without the harshness! Every bit as detailed] maybe abit less attack bit less delay.

    This tweeter seems to bridge the gap between the smooth forgiving natural upper mid range silks with more air but not the harshness associated with the hard domes. I love them!

    sorry typed this on my phone n a hurry
    Last edited by Papermaker85; 04-18-2017 at 11:00 PM.



    Insidious Audio

  2. Thanks beak81champ thanked for this post



  3. #2
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Ceramics are real nice. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Try magnesium or carbon next.

    I had a very similar experience with my first pair of Transducer Lab tweeters, carbon domes. My favorite tweeter behind the Fostex magnesium dome.



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  4. #3
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4430 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Could we get ah spell check please.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  5. #4
    BMayes36's Avatar
    BMayes36 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Could we get ah spell check please.
    While you're at it let's see if we can get one here as well.




  6. #5
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4430 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by BMayes36 View Post
    While you're at it let's see if we can get one here as well.
    That was on purpose *******.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  7. #6
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    lol



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  8. #7
    BMayes36's Avatar
    BMayes36 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    That was on purpose *******.
    Then it makes you look like and idiot and a hypocrite. If you are going to be the spelling and grammar police then you need to make sure your post are perfect. I don't even know what the last word is.




  9. #8
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4430 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by BMayes36 View Post
    Then it makes you look like and idiot and a hypocrite. If you are going to be the spelling and grammar police then you need to make sure your post are perfect. I don't even know what the last word is.
    If you don't know and can't figure it out, then that's not my problem. Good day.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  10. #9
    Papermaker85's Avatar
    Papermaker85 is online now Better built than bought!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New orleans LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Ceramics are real nice. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Try magnesium or carbon next.

    I had a very similar experience with my first pair of Transducer Lab tweeters, carbon domes. My favorite tweeter behind the Fostex magnesium dome.
    yea. I doubt this build house is as good as vifa, fostex or focal but i can honestly say not bad. still abit lacking above 18k but lets face it what really goes that high?



    Insidious Audio

  11. #10
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    13,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6505 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    sounds like my type of tweeter. Coupled it with a massive substage yet?



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  12. #11
    Papermaker85's Avatar
    Papermaker85 is online now Better built than bought!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New orleans LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    sounds like my type of tweeter. Coupled it with a massive substage yet?
    I haven't measured the woofer yet. Im pretty sure its around 144 or so. Its tuned low. Drops to 25 or so plays well past 80hz but falls off slow after around 65. Good enough to slightly blur your vision.
    Im sure i cou6kd tune it to get alot more output but it really sounds so good i don't care.
    One of my old friends who is a local drummer said it sounds like an idmax. Which is a winner im my book.



    Insidious Audio

  13. #12
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by papermaker View Post
    yea. I doubt this build house is as good as vifa, fostex or focal but i can honestly say not bad. still abit lacking above 18k but lets face it what really goes that high?
    (1 Pair) TRANSDUCER LAB ATR-3721 N26CFR-A CARBON FIber Dome Tweeters | eBay


    Grab a set of these, if not solely for a reference. You will not be sorry. Honestly, the best $200 I've ever spent on HF drivers and I would pay more for them. Sold in closely matched pairs for level and FR. Very open, incredibly revealing and they will play bass tones with ease (nearfield). Not in the vehicle, of course. lol



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  14. #13
    Papermaker85's Avatar
    Papermaker85 is online now Better built than bought!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New orleans LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4280 Post(s)

    Re: Custom built ceramic dome tweeter! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    (1 Pair) TRANSDUCER LAB ATR-3721 N26CFR-A CARBON FIber Dome Tweeters | eBay


    Grab a set of these, if not solely for a reference. You will not be sorry. Honestly, the best $200 I've ever spent on HF drivers and I would pay more for them. Sold in closely matched pairs for level and FR. Very open, incredibly revealing and they will play bass tones with ease (nearfield). Not in the vehicle, of course. lol
    i need to explore again. i'm getting good response up to about 17k and it falls FAST after that. I never like to boost but i finally put A half *** RTA on it and boy you was right i have a KILLER mid-range. cut from 125 to 2500 and added abit of boost around 16k. it sounds ever more realistic now. i don't know anyone with a good RTA anymore i been out of the secne so its hard to do accurate tuning. I'm thinking about ordering a good mic for my S7 that has a good pass-band just for shits.



    Insidious Audio

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum