Manufacturer: Eclipse
    Type: 12" subwoofer

Fs: 32hz
    Qts: 0.56
    DCR: 3.6 ohm (SVC 4 ohm nominal)
    Vas: 2.75 Cubic Feet
    Xmax: 0.27"
    Pe: 250w

Overview: This is the entry level driver by Eclipse. You find this woofer in any dealer that sells Eclipse. The average dealer can get you one for $99. The internet can get you one for about $60 and whatever they feel like charging for shipping. I found this one on ebay for significantly less than both those but with no guarantee it'd work. I took a risk and was rewarded with a basically new SW4200 for peanuts.

Cosmetics:
    Overall this woofer is polished on the outside, but still has rough edges. Like my Adire Shiva, the basket has sharp edges you should be careful with carrying around. The cone is concave with a full dustcap. The surround is treated foam, and seems a hint thicker than necessary. The spade terminals are thicker and heavier than the ones on any other woofer I've ever seen, to the point that they seem out of place against the rest of the woofer. The magnet and front / backplates look roughly cut, and could benefit from a rubber boot IMO. Overall it's easy to overlook the cosmetic flaws in this woofer.

8/10

Test setup:

My room!
    16v 3.3am power supply attached to a Mobile Authority Rockbox. 8-12 wrms / channel.
    Left channel attached to the Eclipse Woofer in 0.8 CF sealed dowfiring. Not crossed over.
    Right channel attached to a 100uf capacitor, 12ohm resistor, and 2" Aura Midrange driver.

Listening:
    I'll try to get a good variety of music.

Breaking Benjamin - Diary of Jane:
    The woofer takes to the bass guitar much easier than it does to the percussion. Percussion hits seem weak but not out of place. Transients are accurate and easily blend in with the front. The low end is lacking authority, but the rolloff seems pretty smooth and it's not something I'd inherently miss, at least not in this song.

Temper D & K Fire - The Decision:
    The fast paced beat of this hovers over the high end rolloff of the woofer. So in place of high speed "percussion" I get a slow rolling synthetic bassline. What little of the high beat it does play seems to fit in well but it's like the woofer decides what beats to play and which not to at it's own leisure, but in a very controlled manner. There is no low end at all.

Hybrid - Finished Symphony:
    Again, the woofer blends nicely with the front end. Smaller notes in front end are omitted or at least hard to hear. The woofer has little trouble keeping pace with the front. Strangely enough, the lower frequencies came through on this song. Nothing to write home about.

Kolias - 250 bpm drum solo:
    Honestly, I was expecting the woofer to mud out with this clip. Instead it kept easy pace. Little low end, as usual.

KMFDM - She Moves in Mysterious Ways:
    The percussion and slow drumline are taken to quite well with nothing really for me to nitpick over besides the usual lack of low end.

Tristania - Beyond the Veil:
    The woofer is more than humbled trying to fill in the guitar and percussion while the Aura sits back and laughs - making for a unique sound. The low end is not existant. In the chorus the woofer seems to pick what notes to play and what notes not to.

Overall:
    It seems the more you give this woofer the more likely it is to mud out. Playing some of the fastest drumlines in the world is peanuts to it, but add in a bass guitar or an extra synth line and the quality drops. It lacks serious low end in the listening setup but I do not blame the woofer with it working on 10 watts.

I don't have any other woofers that retail in the same range of ~$60 online to compare this against. But in the sense of a woofer in general, I don't think it's as bad as I have been told. It takes to a lot of things without any hassle lacking only the low end. Considering the prices you find them for on ebay, I would label these as a feasable option for a street beater looking for a little SQ on a very tight budget.

Raven is offline Lacking social skills!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Eclipse SW4200

Just to update, it was warm outside and I didn't have to work today so I pulled the box out to the garage for a cosmetic overhaul. A close inspection found an air leak and the cone being too close to the floor. Guess that's expected from a box made of scrap. =\

I'm contributing to this review with a sealed sealed enclosure of the same size with better spacing between the cone and the floor.

The difference between a partially sealed scrap MDF box and a fully sealed scrap MDF box is huge. Highs play higher. Lows play lower. It sounds much more natural. Bass is felt more and it's louder, why I'd need to downgrade to a 6 ohm resistor to get the same level matching with the Aura it used to have. Sections that had nothing now give a light foot massage. It still breaks up under stress but now manages to holds out during tracks that used to kill it.

And I'm contributing with an in car review:
    SETUP:
    1992 Ford Taurus
    Rainbow SLC 6.5" comps with Aura Tweeters attached to Aura 2300
    Orion 1200D attached to the Eclipse at 4 ohm. Same box.

All I got to listen to really was some Arch Enemy. Crossed over and given a little extra gain this thing produced enough output to vibrate the rear view mirror! Woo! </sacasm>

Sadly it didn't get much further than that. In fact the low end was so lacking, even with 160% of it's rated power that it didn't stay in the car long. Not sitting right next to the woofer when it was playing really doesn't go well with the woofer. Sure, it still blended well and was fairly accurate, but the lack of low end and output make this woofer totally inappropriate for the demanding situation of being in a vehicle.

Seeing this thing for $100 at CC is laughable. Seeing it for $60 online is laughable. Seeing it for $20 shipped or so on ebay is more practical. Yeah, it's got good high end and it sounds nice right next to it, but that's all it's good for. Cheap PC Sub maybe?

Closed Thread