Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2 12" SI D2s inital impressions, not properly installed yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 12" SI D2s inital impressions, not properly installed yet.

*Disclaimer* I **** at writing reviews. *Disclaimer*
    I threw the D2's in my car today. They are in the same box that I used for my kappa perfects.
    5 cubes net, 70 square inches of port tuned to 28 hz. Total volume 7.3 cu. ft.
    I am running them at 300 RMS each from my KX650.4 (mid amp)
    LOUDNESS
    I've been without subs for probably 5-6 months. But since then I've had the pleasure of listening to ALOT of loud systems. 18 XXX, 15" Brahma Extreme, 15" MT are the most notable, as I spent the most time listening to them.
    That being said... as it is currently, I don't find this setup to be that loud. But it must be taken into consideration that I'm not running these anywhere near the drivers' RMS. Also it should be noted that they are in a trunk.
    If I hadn't gotten so used to Noah's systems and was going directly from the Kappa Perfects to these, I probably wouldn't think it was as quiet as I do, but again, all things considered it's pretty loud for what it is.
    LOW END
    They have PLENTY
    On some songs it seems like it's about on par with the Kappas, then the heavy low bass kicks in and I'm reminded why I bought these subs... My side mirror never shook like this with the kappas... ever.
    There is no doubt in my mind that these things kill the Kappas in LFE.
    PUNCHY BASS
    There is simply no comparison between these and the Kappas in the punch catagory. These things completely annihilate the kappas in higher frequency reproduction in a box that doesn't exactly facilitate higher frequencies.
    It's... just... a whole lot better.
    TRANSIENT RESPONSE
    Once again, no comparison. The D2s sound much cleaner going from low to high, high to low, MUCH LESS SLOPPY. They keep up with double kick drums flawlessly. Symphony in Peril sounds immaculate.
    FINAL WORDS AND THOUGHTS
    Although I don't consider this setup 'loud', it's way underpowered, and it is in a trunk.
    What have I learned?
    I CANNOT WAIT TO GET DOWN TO CINCI TO THROW MORE POWER ON THEM.
    It's loud, but it will get alot louder. And I'm not going to sleep right until I get more power on them.
    I can say in all honesty that the SQ of this driver, for me, leaves nothing to be desired. I just wish I could run these with my mids.
    Nick, thank you for producing such a capable driver.
    Later note:
    I just listened to them for about another hour...
    They are with out a doubt MUCH LOUDER THAN MY IKPs!!!
    They arn't capable of hurting my ears, but I really wouldn't expect them to on this power.
    It definately FILLS the cabin with bass, and in a Caprice, that's not always easy with 2 12's and 300 watts.
    Nick, it's killing me not to be able to listen to these with the mids.... it's just KILLIN ME!

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

UndercoverPunk is offline DOT

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2 12" SI D2s inital impressions, not properly installed yet.

Ok, so here's the deal...

DISREGARD THE ENTIRE REVIEW.
    I got a new DMM, my old one wasn't reading right. I checked to see what the amp was set at before and it was right around 20 volts... about 100watts...
    I re-set the gains with a 0db 40 hz tone... to 34.6V... 300 watts each.

All I have to say is, F*CK THOSE INFINITIES! These D2s are SO loud and still SO clean.... IDK, I think I might have pooped a little when I played "Bass I love you".
    These things are in fact retarded, I could feel the bass in my kidneys... I'm in a HUGE car with a trunk and they were still punching me in the back.... I've never had that to this degree in my car before...
    300 WATTS EACH! I'm simply amazed, even though I knew they could do it, I'm still amazed!

Nick, I'm gonna buy you a pizza.

FEEL FREE TO PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS DRIVER

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Closed Thread