+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Reload Thread: Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

lil azn 06 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

Quote Originally Posted by chibahawk View Post
    just started deadening my doors today. question for people in the know. im a plumber and we've got plumbers putty that we use to seal up sink drains, shower drains, and basically anything we want to prevent from leaking - ive swiped a few containers from my van to use on the mdf rings.

the container says "keep away from strong oxidizers"
    --problem= im not a scientist.

can i use this putty instead of clay?
    Does it harden? Because you would want to use something non-hardening.

Alpine 9855
    JL 300/4
    JL 500/1
    Rainbow Profi 2 way active
    JL 12w6v2 ported

chibahawk is offline oe squeezer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no it doesnt harden or retain moisture. as for heat resistance i havent been able to find an exact number regarding whether or not itll stand up to a ny summer.

im just not sure if using it against the back of the speaker is a good idea in case it oxidizes??

refs: Blunt, BassAddictJ, Pickler, Blazin_Jason, 3onDubs, jeremyzach, mexcansa, baastard

chibahawk is offline oe squeezer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heres some stuff I did today. Did about 2/2.5 layers. Still have plenty more eDv1. I'm applying it with a blowdryer and really sticking the edges on so hopefully I won't have to deal with it coming off.

****Also has anyone ever tried using Great Stuf foam in the doors? I used some in my left door... I'm thinking of being real careful and filling up the very innermost part closest to the engine that I can't really reach with deadener. Have to watch out for the window track and also not to block the drains for water. Anyone think it's a good/bad idea? Should I not bother?

I'm using the stuff for windows that WILL NOT expand to the point of bending the door frame.

refs: Blunt, BassAddictJ, Pickler, Blazin_Jason, 3onDubs, jeremyzach, mexcansa, baastard

websterbud is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What type of non-hardening modeling clay are you guys using? Went to the crafts store today and they had Roma Plastina, but only #1 and #2...are these okay to use?

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by websterbud View Post
    What type of non-hardening modeling clay are you guys using? Went to the crafts store today and they had Roma Plastina, but only #1 and #2...are these okay to use?
    Yes.

The non-hardening clay I buy is just regular clay with wax added to it so that it doesn't harden over time.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

mpbojangles is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This may have been asked in the previous 21 pages, but is there anything that you can do to the egg carton foam to make it water resistant. cover it with a plastic bag and melt it on (with a lighter) might be an idea? What do yall think?

TriXR4Kids is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would extra pads of ensolite behind the speaker be comparable to the egg carton foam for breaking up the waves?

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TriXR4Kids View Post
    Would extra pads of ensolite behind the speaker be comparable to the egg carton foam for breaking up the waves?
    What do you mean "extra"?

Ensolite is a brand of closed cell foam which is often used for its waterproof qualities (sports equipment, industrial apps where there is water, etc). There are many types of Ensolite and many more types of CC foam.

Typically egg carton foam is open cell, but you have to check and see for sure which one you have. Technically, it should be more absorptive of sound because of its material properties. The draw back is that it can also absorb water, too.

If you want to defract or "break up" sound waves you need a blocker or a barrier. This is where products like Deflex pads come in handy. They are resonably good (depends on frequency band) at "scattering" sound waves, but not so good at absorbing them. They are almost always made out of low durometer rubber or silicone and have a convoluted surface to "soften" the blow of a rear wave from a close distance.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

KB15 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this happend to work for just basic installs or is this for speakers that will be used for midbass... etc.. etc...

I would look to install bunch of infinity 6012i to replace the stockys nothing big... but by doing thsi will this improve anything?

outspoken is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Between The Golden Gate And The Bay Bridge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KB15 View Post
    Does this happend to work for just basic installs or is this for speakers that will be used for midbass... etc.. etc...

I would look to install bunch of infinity 6012i to replace the stockys nothing big... but by doing thsi will this improve anything?
    if by doing this you mean deadening, then yes you will notice a major difference...

Refs: vitveet(x2)-audiobahnuser18(x2)-fargof-mazzasec-loudcartunez-jeeper07-NE14MX-pitbull12887-datboiroy-littleviet-XxSuperAdamxX(x2)-uS3-craigzter-LazyRider-juckstapose

Quote Originally Posted by endofdays89 View Post
    yeah, put in some white girl or three 6 mafia and sit in your car and let us see how much the rear view mirrors move. It usually is the best indicator that the low lows are hitting well or not. Cuz it should vibrate quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by matrxx dude View Post
    my girl ask me once to choose between her and my car audio,i told that ***** i had made harder decisions at the coke machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i look to change the speakers anyways i guess ill throw the remaning i have left around the speaker and work outwards... by dynamating the door (i have that elemental design one forget the name) but yea will it also help keep some of the road noise out aswell??

outspoken is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Between The Golden Gate And The Bay Bridge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KB15 View Post
    well i look to change the speakers anyways i guess ill throw the remaning i have left around the speaker and work outwards... by dynamating the door (i have that elemental design one forget the name) but yea will it also help keep some of the road noise out aswell??
    yes it will keep road noise out... edead is what you are using i believe, and i assume you read this thread, the instructions i mean... if you don't do the whole door properly, i wouldn't expect a major improvement...

Refs: vitveet(x2)-audiobahnuser18(x2)-fargof-mazzasec-loudcartunez-jeeper07-NE14MX-pitbull12887-datboiroy-littleviet-XxSuperAdamxX(x2)-uS3-craigzter-LazyRider-juckstapose

Quote Originally Posted by endofdays89 View Post
    yeah, put in some white girl or three 6 mafia and sit in your car and let us see how much the rear view mirrors move. It usually is the best indicator that the low lows are hitting well or not. Cuz it should vibrate quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by matrxx dude View Post
    my girl ask me once to choose between her and my car audio,i told that ***** i had made harder decisions at the coke machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got the .75mm thick one its a pretty thick pieice and i ahve enough for maybe about 65% of the entire door n alot of it i mite not need because of the holes in the door what wil i fill thoes with not messing with the window from going up and down?

Sheetal K is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice Article. I went for Dynamat.. bit costly..but, I never regret.
    check this: http://acousticsforyou.com/articles/...ing-sound.html

zoo keeper is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why do you guys put 2 or 3 layers of deaden? i never did any, but soon when it stops snowing here in PA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast