+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Reload Thread: Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

TomBrooklyn is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

Hi squeak,

How are you going to get the door panel back on? Doesn't the Deadener on the inside make the panel not sit right? And I suppose your're going to cut a hole in it to let the MDF spacer stick through? What do you do with that whole thing sticking out, put some kind of molding around it?

Mx3guy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I just finished deadening my doors with the peel n seal roofing stuff I only used 10 squared feet per door and the difference is amazing. My subs used to rattle the heck out of my doors at half vol. Now they bearly rattle at full vol. but the subs pretty much drowned it out, you have to get right up to the door to hear it. Any way I only spent $25 for 25 squared ft. at lowes. If you have trouble with subs rattleling your car you should get this stuff its cheap and works really well. There is a slight smell but not as bad as I thought it would be. Even my door speakers sound better. This stuff is a real good buy.

AJČ06 is offline 8====D ---> ( | ) = win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I NEED some!!

http://www.myspace.com/unknownbelow
    Refs: Showrides|IonSQL x2|mattmcss|QtrHorse x2|DaGh0st|bjfish11
    حَتَّى إِذَا اجْتَزْتُ وَادِي ظِلاَلِ الْمَوْتِ، لاَ أَخَافُ سُوءاً لأَنَّكَ تُرَافِقُنِي. عَصَاكَ وَعُكَّازُكَ هُمَا مَعِي يُشَدِّدَانِ عَزِيمَتِي.
    Ebay:aj06silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Reson8 View Post
    Much as I shudder at the thought of potentially seeing your *****, writing caraudio.com on your dick would kick ***. Que the joke about only being able to get up to "CAR" on it....

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
    Wow, i just spent the better part of 2 hours reading http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
    That was the best write up I have ever seen on just about any topic. He will deff get a little paypal help when i get the chance!

I do have a question for anyone who can help me. Ive decided on the Damplifier sound deadener but im STILL not sure how much im going to need. I plan to do 50% coverage on both front doors and most of the rear deck in a Lexus IS300. Anyone have a decent EDUCATED guess on how much i will need?
    I'd get 125 sq ft or so, whatever you don't use there you can always put somewhere else or double up.

ItalynStylion is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    I'd get 125 sq ft or so, whatever you don't use there you can always put somewhere else or double up.
    I finished the intstall last weekend and I must say im inpressed with how it turned out. I didnt get crazy with the deadener but the difference is unreal.

As a matter of fact one of my friends on the cross country team got in my car this morning and she said, "****, your car is sooo quite!"
    Biggest...smile.....evar

Quote Originally Posted by qtipextra View Post
    is 2 12's overkill for HT?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    It's a start.

ItalynStylion is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used damplifier by the way. I would recommend it to anyone and suggest using nothing else....I know I won't

Quote Originally Posted by qtipextra View Post
    is 2 12's overkill for HT?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    It's a start.

Glaucus is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over the next few days, I'm going to attempt to fab up acrylic plates, get photos of it being done, and hopefully post them up here to clear this mess of a post (mine) up.
    So... any progress on this???

- Mike

Jared530 is offline Drop bombs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i was wondering, instead up placing eg cartong foam inside your door panl, if its ok to put fiber glass in fora substitute, the reason is because i cant find any egg carton foam, and regular foam at fabric stores are about $30for a yard.

Refs: Kevokrook77, Cheapo, Killahbean, Coolwazabi, ShinyChromes(SCAMMER), Jnoel, matrxx dude, ssackett, Josh #44(SCAMMER), tc3k101, matrxx dude

Buffalohed is offline Music Snob Extraordinare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there are some misconceptions going around here. At least I have certainly ran into some after reading tons of pages on multiple forums about "sound deadening".

The most important thing imo is that sound deadening can be split into two categories:

1) Stopping rattles/reverberations from your car stereo
    2) Dampening noise coming in from the outside

The problem is that almost everyone talks exclusively about the butyl/asphalt mass products designed to stop rattling and vibration in your car. These are great for what they do, especially if you have a system that causes stuff to rattle and shake. However, I am skeptical as to how much this actually helps stop road noise from entering your car! I am sure it works to an extent but it seems like a mixture of some other techniques more commonly used to dampen sound would have a greater effect.

I don't know very much about this so I am posting this mainly as a question. Say if you did not plan on playing an extremely loud system, therefore having few instances of stereo induced rattling, but wanted a high level of dampening from outside sound, what should you do to your car?

Foam, carpet padding, fiberglass, extra layers of butyl, caulking? What should you use and where should you put it? In my car, a ton of noise comes in from the engine compartment through the firewall. Should I load up the area with flame retardant foam, or something else?

Thanks.

"The endeavor to understand is the first and only basis of virtue." - Spinoza

“The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven.” - Milton

Kicker comps / Stereo Integrity subs / Sundown + Kicker amps / lots of room for improvement

phatcat600 is offline yeah my name is stupid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just applied deadener to the plastic panel that comes off...I thought that was what was meant by inner door skin. Is this completely worthless?

Lil Poot is offline you sturrin at me brah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phatcat600 View Post
    I just applied deadener to the plastic panel that comes off...I thought that was what was meant by inner door skin. Is this completely worthless?
    yes. deadener is for stopping metal from resonating.

Alpine W205/H701
    Revolution Design D9 - 2 AQ HDC3 18s
    Genesis Profile Four Ultra - Creative SDX7 mids, TBI HDSS tweets
    Iraggi 240a, Optima g34 YT, 3 C&D 134ah, 15.3v MLA module, 120 ft 1/0, 200 ft^2 RAAMmat

WTT/S - 2 HDC3 18s, RD HW 10, 880prs + ipod + 6 disc changer, Alumapro ALC6.2 Components, Zed built US Acoustics USA4050 + USA2200, Fisher Customs boxes

phenryiv1 is offline Custom user title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohed View Post
    Say if you did not plan on playing an extremely loud system, therefore having few instances of stereo induced rattling, but wanted a high level of dampening from outside sound, what should you do to your car?

Foam, carpet padding, fiberglass, extra layers of butyl, caulking? What should you use and where should you put it? In my car, a ton of noise comes in from the engine compartment through the firewall. Should I load up the area with flame retardant foam, or something else?

Thanks.
    Closed cell foam. Line your floor, inner door skin, roof (?), interior fenders, and firewall with it. Also, caulk or foam any gaps where sound might be transferred through a passageway.

Also, you can fill your frame rails, trunk support beams, and floor crossmembers with the NON-pressure expanding foam for windows and doors (this is really important). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...612&lpage=none

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what a waste of deadener

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

plus I already ripped out all the stock insulation stuff....ouch

ironchef b is offline Ainokea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Also, you can fill your frame rails, trunk support beams, and floor crossmembers with the NON-pressure expanding foam for windows and doors (this is really important). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...612&lpage=none
    By any chance do you or someone else have any pics of this application especially the bolded part???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast