Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How to do a 3-way setup?

vwrado is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How to do a 3-way setup?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I want to do a 3 way setup for my car as I have never been satisfied with any of the components I have installed. My car is a e36 bmw and stock location I can fit tweeters and 4" mids in my door panel and 6.5" in the kicks.

Currently running kicker freeair 6.5" in kicks w/ LPG tweeters and using an active crossover powering my mids and highs on a seperate channel. The midbass is ok but there is a big between the highs and the mids.

question is if I get a focal 3 way setup should i used the passive crossover instead and bridging my amp (75x4) to each side? I think it is really hard for me to adjust the crossover to get a flat respond.

Also what 3-way components do you recomend? So far I have focal and boston acoustic pro in mind.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to do a 3-way setup?

Quote Originally Posted by vwrado
    question is if I get a focal 3 way setup should i used the passive crossover instead and bridging my amp (75x4) to each side? I think it is really hard for me to adjust the crossover to get a flat respond.
    If you don't feel comfortable running a 3-way comp set active, then by all means keep the passive and bridge the amp.

Also what 3-way components do you recomend? So far I have focal and boston acoustic pro in mind.
    DLS Iridiums, Dynaudio, Morel, Rainbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DLS Anything. My DLS UR6 set of 6.5's and 1.1" tweets sound amazing in kicks. I seriously think they can take a 50hz 12db/octave xover and still be loud as hell

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the response.

What model is the DLS 3 way setup? Also is there anywhere I can see it online?

Also should I build pods for the tweeters in the mirror base and have it point towards me? Is there any advantages for doing this over just flush mounting it on the door?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GCAdidas13
    DLS Anything. My DLS UR6 set of 6.5's and 1.1" tweets sound amazing in kicks. I seriously think they can take a 50hz 12db/octave xover and still be loud as hell
    I notice you glass your sail. Any reason why you didnt point the tweeters towards the driver side more?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What model is the DLS 3 way setup? Also is there anywhere I can see it online?
    http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-...ogno=IRIDIUM63

http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/Iridium63.htm

Also should I build pods for the tweeters in the mirror base and have it point towards me? Is there any advantages for doing this over just flush mounting it on the door?
    Depends on the acoustics of your car and how you want them aimed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I notice you glass your sail. Any reason why you didnt point the tweeters towards the driver side more?
    The passenger side tweeter is pointed toward the driver, and the driver side tweeter is pointed toward the passenger.

I did this because when I had double-sided tape, and was aiming my tweeters for just testing and stuff, I found that if I aimed my driver side tweeter directly at me, that tweeter was WAY louder than the other tweeter because it was half the distance to me than the other one. By aiming the driver side tweeter at the passenger, it evened this up because the tweeter was mounted off-axis.

Hope I helped ya

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GCAdidas13
    The passenger side tweeter is pointed toward the driver, and the driver side tweeter is pointed toward the passenger.

I did this because when I had double-sided tape, and was aiming my tweeters for just testing and stuff, I found that if I aimed my driver side tweeter directly at me, that tweeter was WAY louder than the other tweeter because it was half the distance to me than the other one. By aiming the driver side tweeter at the passenger, it evened this up because the tweeter was mounted off-axis.

Hope I helped ya
    Thanks! That was exactly what I wanted to hear.

One more question, does your new tweeter location sound better than having it on your door panels? assuming you had it on there before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By far, yes. Think about it from your hearing perspective... In my old setup, I had my tweeters halfway back from my doors, as you can see in a picture if you would look at the first link in my signature.

When I had that setup, from the listening points, the tweeter and woofer were in a straight line, from the listening point down to the floor, and that's where the sound came from - the floor.

Moving the tweeters to the sail panels imaged the sound to be coming more from the windshield.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help!

Closed Thread