Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Components for a McIntosh (40 x 2)

nilus is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Components for a McIntosh (40 x 2)

Hi. Noob here. I'm looking to put some SQ stuff into my Scion Xb. Quality and stealth factor are more important than anything else. I don't listen to my music loud.

So, here's the deal...I just bought an older McIntosh MCC82 amp that puts out 40 watts x 2 (I'm sure that's RMS since they don't mess around with their numbers). I got it in mint condition for $200 so I'm pretty happy. My fear is that the component sets I'm looking at--Dynaudio 240GT, Focal 165, and DLS Iridium 6.2--are claiming 100 watts nominal. I'm especially interested in the Dyns, but a lot of people say they need power. I mean, 40 watts and 100 watts isn't that big of a difference, especially when they're high quality watts, right? Any advice?

By the way, I'm not sure what H/U I'll be using yet, but I'm thinking of picking up the Alpine IVA-d310 when it comes out this month...if that makes any difference for the discussion.

I have so many other questions (where/how to install, etc.), but this is my first major hurdle. Any help is appreciated..

Thanks,
    Nilus

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: Components for a McIntosh (40 x 2)

Really no such thing as a "high quality watt", electricity either is, or it isn't. That's why its usually a better idea to pick the match the comps to an amp, not the other way around. You can always try, you'll only use the full power at max volume anyway. So for daily driving it should be fine.

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest
    Really no such thing as a "high quality watt", electricity either is, or it isn't.
    words to live by, preach it!

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you'll be fine...that amp is probably not severely underated but probably puts down a nice 50+rms per channel. Try considering a set that doesnt utilize that much power- Rainbow Soundlines and Seas Performance are 80watt nomimal but should play nice off that power.

I would love an amp like that to run an active set- dedicate it to the tweets of your choice and a nice beefy 2ch to the mids.

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm thinking I'd be okay, too...but any more suggestions are welcome.

I mean, my home system has MartinLogan Ascents (200 watts nominal) easily being driven by a 125 watt p/ch Blue Circle amp (conservatively rated, but still).

Nilus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

trial and error my friend....you may be surprised how well that lil sucker pushes a set-what do you have to lose?

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True. I guess at worst, I could throw the Mcintosh (bridged) on a sub and then get a different amp for the components. I actually got a response from Dynaudio today--they said 100 watts is what it would take to get the full potential out of the speakers, but 40 clean watts should be fine at normal listening volumes. So, I guess I'll see what happens. Wish me luck...

Sincerely,
    Nilus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah - the prob you may encounter is midbass response-lack thereof....the tweets always come through being the most efficient....from my experiences one gets more performance out of a set driving some serious power to them. But like I said you wont know until you try.
    If you put those mids in a well prepared door you may maximize its efficiency with the power you have as well. Good luck, let us know. Its a sweet amp to keep, I'm sure some use can be made of it.

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

bose301s,qwertvt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will definitely post an update once I get everything installed. I actually just bought my H/U today-- a Rockford Fosgate 8250 Platinum...the re-badged Denon DCT (yeah, decided not to go with the multimedia Alpine stuff--this is about as far away from that as you can get...LOL). I may seek comments on that decision in the H/U section.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on prepping the doors...that makes a lot of sense. I'm probably going to go to a pro for installation so that should do the trick.

Nilus

Closed Thread