Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

$400 - $600 for 3 way?

I originally wanted to upgrade my head unit and add an amp and a sub to my car and eveutally I would upgrade the stock speakers and possibly add an amp to them later on.

Well, I have completely switched my concept and now I'm going to only focus on the speaker setup in the car; not worrying about a subwoofer in the trunk until sometime down the road. I don't even care right now.

Anyway, I drive a 96' Honda Civic Coupe and just last Friday I installed the Alpine CDA-9833 (I hope this was a good choice, feel free to input). I originally wanted to say within the budget of $1000 dollars, and I spent $300 on the HU which might have been a bit overboard. However, I'm not planning on buying some expensive crossover and I'm hoping this HU has enough capability.

I have been looking into an ADS amp that was suggested by someone here on the boards. It runs 6 channels, 75 x 6 @ 4 ohms or another more powerful setting running @ 2 ohms. (I believe like 110 x 4 + 150 x 2). The cost of this amp is approximately $280 shipped on eBay from Ikesound. (refurbished)

This leaves me with roughly $400 dollars (I'm not including sound deadener or wiring or any other special materials) to spend on 6 different speakers. I would like a decent component set as well as another pair of decent mid-bass speakers. I would like something that is fully capable when playing all sorts of music. (Jam Bands, Reggae, Rap, R&B, Rock, etc etc).

My plan is to build a custom fiberglass kick-panel or buy a set of Q-panels (I really don't want to spend $180 on these) for a mid-bass driver and then I will also replace the factory speaker in the door as well as the factory tweeter that resides in the window.

My goal is to have a system with a complete feel to it, with power as well, I'm hoping 75 watts x 6 channels would get the job done. All of this without having a subwoofer in the trunk.

At the same time I realize $400 for 6 different speakers isn't much. So let's bump up that up to $600. In coming up with ideas I've changed my thoughts quite a bit, so if this is not even realistic. Feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for all the info and help,
    Gary

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: $400 - $600 for 3 way?

First, great buy on the head unit. Second, If you buy a good comp set you probably really wont need an extra midbass driver. Unless you use your doors for midbass and the kick panel for the midrange and highs.

There are some very good choices in that price range. Some brands to research, JBL, Focal, CDT, Re, ID, JL, Rainbow... Just to name a few. I'de go down to your local stores and listen to what they have. Let your "ears" dicide for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

someone16 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    First, great buy on the head unit. Second, If you buy a good comp set you probably really wont need an extra midbass driver. Unless you use your doors for midbass and the kick panel for the midrange and highs.

There are some very good choices in that price range. Some brands to research, JBL, Focal, CDT, Re, ID, JL, Rainbow... Just to name a few. I'de go down to your local stores and listen to what they have. Let your "ears" dicide for you.
    ^^^All very good brands but also check out DLS, Morel, and Seas

2000 Honda S2000
    H/U: Alpine 7995
    Front Speakers: CDT HD-62's
    Amp for Speakers: JL 300/4

syntekz is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In a setup I had a few years ago, I had a set of a/d/s 346 components. 6.5" mid and 1" tweeter I believe. I was running 120 Watts RMS per side and I didn't get the sound I was looking for with those. It lacked mid-bass and until I put in my 2 12" Brahma's in the back seat I hated the sound I was getting, these were $300+ components too. That's the reason I'm so tempted to have a component set plus a seperate pair of more specific mid-bass drivers. (Seen those RE XXX's yet? LOL)

I'm hoping to not even feel the need for a subwoofer if that's capable with an up-front setup.

Also, when you read the RMS rating for component sets and it reads 150 wRMS. Does that mean 150 watts per Tweeter and Mid-speaker or 150 watts to each speaker (all four?).

Gary

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by syntekz
    In a setup I had a few years ago, I had a set of a/d/s 346 components. 6.5" mid and 1" tweeter I believe. I was running 120 Watts RMS per side and I didn't get the sound I was looking for with those. It lacked mid-bass and until I put in my 2 12" Brahma's in the back seat I hated the sound I was getting, these were $300+ components too. That's the reason I'm so tempted to have a component set plus a seperate pair of more specific mid-bass drivers. (Seen those RE XXX's yet? LOL)

I'm hoping to not even feel the need for a subwoofer if that's capable with an up-front setup.

Also, when you read the RMS rating for component sets and it reads 150 wRMS. Does that mean 150 watts per Tweeter and Mid-speaker or 150 watts to each speaker (all four?).

Gary

Its 150 per component side set. So 1 mid 75 plus the tweet 75 = 150. Normally you just connect the crossover to the amp. That will split the power.

If you want some serious mid bass check out that XXX mid. It does look insane. Also the not needing a sub in the back is dependant on your tastes. Do you like frequencys below 60hz??? If yes then a sub will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

MSSOKC is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm currently debating between 2 sets of 3 ways that I'm going to use. I'll be putting one of the sets up for sale as soon as I figure out which one I'm using. It'll either be ID's or Maxfi's. PM me if you're interested.

Closed Thread