Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Improving Imaging

psycho72 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Improving Imaging

Okay so my current install has my tweets high up in the doors and the mids at the bottom (bad for imaging-currently the best seat in the house is where the HU is located-not very comfortable). So what I was thinking is that I could get some 3.5" Midranges (anyone got a pair of good quality ones or any links) and put them in a pod in the corners of the dash right next to the tweets both of which I would aim as close to the dome light as possible. So tweets and midrange would be close and high up aimed for proper imaging and the old 6.5" Mids can be relegated to Midbass duties only and stay in their current locations.

So the questions are

1. seem like a good idea?
    2. can a 3.5" midrange handle the midrange signal nicely (say like 275Hz-5000Hz)?
    3. can you see a downside?
    4. any suggestions?

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Improving Imaging

in my opinion kickpanels offer the best imaging. try putting a 6.5" comps set in some kicks and see what that does for ya

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psycho72
    So what I was thinking is that I could get some 3.5" Midranges (anyone got a pair of good quality ones or any links) and put them in a pod in the corners of the dash right next to the tweets both of which I would aim as close to the dome light as possible. So tweets and midrange would be close and high up aimed for proper imaging and the old 6.5" Mids can be relegated to Midbass duties only and stay in their current locations.

Bad idea. Midrange frequencies are sensitive to pathlenghts as well as aiming. You want their pathlengths to be as close to the same (to your ear) as possible. This is why kickpanels are used so effective.....the minimize the pathlength difference from each speaker to your ears.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I am going to sacrafice my kickpanels. Kickpanel mounted speakers make me feel like there is no room for my feet. Not to mention I already have my components I was simply thinking of a cheap and easy way to make things better ($60-100 for some midanges is cool), $300 for some new components is not doable right now.

Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak? Oh well so another idea bites the dust!
    Last edited by psycho72; 12-31-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak?
    Yup....the one on your side would be WAY closer to you than the other one....which = not good. Have you tried placing your tweeters down low??

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah that was actually my next idea. Anyone know how to seal up holes in the door panels (daymn so called professionals-I knew I should have done it myself).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I am going to sacrafice my kickpanels. Kickpanel mounted speakers make me feel like there is no room for my feet. Not to mention I already have my components I was simply thinking of a cheap and easy way to make things better ($60-100 for some midanges is cool), $300 for some new components is not doable right now.

Ah so then placing them high up shortens the path for the one closest to me screwing up imaging even more. Do I have that right Squeak? Oh well so another idea bites the dust!

why couldn't you put your mids and tweets in kicks? why would you need a new set? they really don't take up much foot room.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    why couldn't you put your mids and tweets in kicks? why would you need a new set? they really don't take up much foot room.
    Oh were you saying the tweet and the 3.5"? I thought you meant the 6.5's which take up way too much foot room for a guy who has size EEE feet and likes to wear steel toed boots (CAT Alaskas to be precise) which are huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oh were you saying the tweet and the 3.5"? I thought you meant the 6.5's which take up way too much foot room for a guy who has size EEE feet and likes to wear steel toed boots (CAT Alaskas to be precise) which are huge.

you could do something like a 4" or 3.5" with the tweets in kicks and 6.5's in doors. i have a 5.25 comp set in kicks with 6.5's in doors and i like it. i'm not the pickiest of listeners though. i where a size 13 shoe and i have plenty of foot room.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    you could do something like a 4" or 3.5" with the tweets in kicks and 6.5's in doors. i have a 5.25 comp set in kicks with 6.5's in doors and i like it. i'm not the pickiest of listeners though. i where a size 13 shoe and i have plenty of foot room.
    Got any pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Got any pics?

no, but i could do some tommorrow. i have q-logic kicks though. i had a disaster when i tried to fiberglass, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Got any pics?

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthrea...062#post688062 if you take a look at the first pic you can kinda see the kick panel.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks just like a normal kick installation and i just don't like giving up all that foot space. I think I am gonna scap this idea and get some horns in a couple of months or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what kinda car you have......but, if you don't mind some cuttin' and hackin', you could fit the speakers behind where the current factory kickpanel area is.....so no added room would be consumed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    I don't know what kinda car you have......but, if you don't mind some cuttin' and hackin', you could fit the speakers behind where the current factory kickpanel area is.....so no added room would be consumed.
    Naw its cool I decided to demote the seperates to the rear and install some horns in the front. Only problem is the money especially since I just got one of those "**** you pay us we caught you on photo running a red" letters. $341.00. Mother****ers!!!!!!! Ah my own fault but **** could'nt they teach me a $100 lesson???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast