Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

jtgwinatl is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, i want to thank those who have commented on my previous posts. I am a very open minded person, and hold your opinions highly in my decision making process. Now that being said, let me list my questions.

My vehicle (1999 f250 Lariat) Crew-cab (4 doors)

My system:
    Head unit- Alpine cda-9835
    Amplifier-alpine mvrf 450 (5 channel amp) will be purchasing it tomorrow
    Existing speakers (boston acoustics coaxials). You can fit 5x7/6x8's or 51/4 separates.

Now. My questions are:

First: what speaker would you recommend to use in my truck's front doors. I read a review which gave the Alpine Spr-136a's bigger brother the Spr-176a a really good review (well more like a good/wise buy for the money). That being said, what (in your personal experience) would you say would be a good fit for my front doors?.

Second: I read in this website http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html
    That for rear fill it is better to use a mid-bass speaker , than a coaxial. I would like to know what midbass speaker you would recommend. I was thinking maybe just purchasing 2 sets of the spr-136a and leaving out the tweeters in the rears (fill), given that they are really favorably priced.

Lastly: I Want to have nice tight bass...not too loud , and i'll be using the mvrf-450's 5th channel (i believe it's 150watts) to power the sub. Would an 8 inch sub single/dual voice coil work for me, or would i need a 10 inch sub?...What brand/brands are readily available, and are of good build quality. More importantly, will reproduce tight, accurate bass?. I have a budget of about $400 for the front/rear speakers, and a budget of $200 for the sub...I had posted previously, but i wasn't thorough enough in my inquiry, hopefully you will understand what i'm talking about, and be able to point me in the right direction. I really appreciate anyone's input on this....

pwnt by pat is offline Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Run the front's the way you have them, one channel a piece. Then bridge channel 3+4 or 5 or whatever combo to run a sub, say SE10 or Shiva or something...

You can save the money you would have spent on rear fill midbass for some nice actual bass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

who makes that se10 /shiba?

2kchevy06civic is offline Learn to swim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the SE 10 is made by a company called "Resonant Engineering" , check them out at reaudio.com

The shiva is made by a company called "adire audio" check them out at adireaudio.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, i'm going there in a minute. I'm just curious, Will my truck not sound bad if i don't put anything in the rear? i mean if i don't have midbass in the rear, won't it sound like something is missing? it's a crew cab. I'm just curious. I mean you most likely know more about car audio than i do. And if that is the case, i can save pretty good cash by bypassing putting a rear speaker,and jumping to a subwoofer, not to mention getting a 4 channel amp instead of a 5 channel amp. thanks.
    j.t.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow. nice speakers. i'm leaning more to the koda 8's ...I think if i install 2 8"s ill get nice tight bass.

Thanks for the tip

pwnt by pat is offline Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, forget the midbass. If you NEED anything or are unsatisfied with it after you do fronts + subs, then do 'em.

2 koda 8's might not get a lot of power from your amp. If you go one Shiva, which does well with as low as 60w, on the fifth channel at four ohms, you should be plenty happy. Shiva's used are like... cheap as woah.

Bridged 40Wx4 + 4ohm; 150Wx1 4ohm; (shiva are dvc 8ohm - 150w should be plenty)

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jtgwinatl
    Thanks for the info, i'm going there in a minute. I'm just curious, Will my truck not sound bad if i don't put anything in the rear? i mean if i don't have midbass in the rear, won't it sound like something is missing? it's a crew cab. I'm just curious. I mean you most likely know more about car audio than i do. And if that is the case, i can save pretty good cash by bypassing putting a rear speaker,and jumping to a subwoofer, not to mention getting a 4 channel amp instead of a 5 channel amp. thanks.
    j.t.

Don't put anything in the rear. If you read through that article you linked, they actually say that the bandpassed midbass in rear is simply to minimize the effects of rear fill, but that the best thing to do is run no rear fill at all.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the tip (you've saved me some good cash ) i definitely appreciate it as i won't be purchasing any rear speakers (except for the sub...now . Today I took a small step today towards finishing my system.

A local guy (off ebay) had a pair of boston pro 5.5's (yes they're a little old, but i think that they're in pretty good shape). I paid less than 200 bucks so i guess it's a sweet deal. I got pics of them let me know what you think. All i need now are subs. I'll post pics of the sub/finished system later

I think they look mega-sweet. I hope they sound as good as they look I was going to purchase alpine separates, but with my past experience with boston acoustics, i'm hoping i didn't make a bad decision. What do u all think???

j.t.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm running BA coaxials in my van...I like 'em

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good deal on the BA Pro's! I had the Pro6.5 comps with 400w RMS per side (yes, 800w RMS going to the pair), damned fine speakers.

rocchi is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the orion P series components, but watch the depth on these I have a set of 5.2's that won't fit in my doors.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would put them in kicks if you could as for the 8's why not 2 re 8 or if your 5th channel is 2 ohm stable and you have room and or depth for one of these http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_ser...subwoofer.html. id bridge your front and rear channels to the bostons if the amp is bridgable (i dont do alpine so i dont even bother to look lol)

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

2kchevy06civic is offline Learn to swim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, you don't need rear fill. I drive a reg cab truck and I only have front stage. If you have a good enough Front stage, trust me, you won't need rear fill.

My focals get plenty loud and aren't drowned out by my sub, but then again I don't have my sub cranked

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by audiolife
    i would put them in kicks if you could

I would rather keep the speakers in the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kchevy
    No, you don't need rear fill. I drive a reg cab truck
    You're right , and from what squeak said
    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Good deal on the BA Pro's! I had the Pro6.5 comps with 400w RMS per side (yes, 800w RMS going to the pair), ****ed fine speakers.
    I don't think i'll have to worry about the Bostons not gettin loud enuff...I'm just worried 'bout the mids....i guess i'll cross that bridge when i get to it...for now i just need a 5 channel amp..
    Anyone willing to sell a 5 channel amp of high quality (memphis belle, alpine, etc. let me know)

Again i want to thank you all, for your input as i woulda spent more cash than was necessary if i hadn't checked with u all...If i could buy u all a beer i would

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast