Closed Thread

Reload Thread: coaxials vs. comp in factory location

vec2000 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

coaxials vs. comp in factory location

Here is yet another coaxial vs. component question. I want to replace the front speakers in my Honda Accord, I was originally thinking about getting some high quality coaxials, but now might be leaning towards a comp set. There are 2 tweeters waaay up on the dash where it practically meets the winshield. Would mounting the tweets there sound alright (with the midbass in the stock lower door location?) I thought I read where it is a good idea to mount tweets and midbass close together, and the factory locations don't really do that. Otherwise, I am going to go with a good set of coaxials and run them from the HU. Any thoughts? Thanks

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: coaxials vs. comp in factory location

Well, it really depends on what you are after. If you just want something better than stock, then good quality co-axials will do that for you. If you are going after high fidelity sound, then a quality set of components with a healthy amp on them will do that for you. Also, if you go with comps I'd absolutely recommend that you sound deaden your doors (added cost, if that matters). Wouldn't hurt to do it with co-axials aswell....but I'm not really sure if the benefits would outweigh the cost. So, it really comes down to what you are looking for.

As for the tweeter placement; yes, the general rule is to keep the tweeter as close to the mid as possible. Is this a rule that is set in stone? No. Many people have their tweeters mounted high and mids low in the door and are very happy with the sound. Will you be? Hard to say...it's very install/vehicle/listener dependent. Also remember that you don't have to use the factory tweeter locations. You could always use a metal strap create a tweeter bridge to "co-axially" mount the tweeter of a component set over the middle of the mid. Or, you can use tweeter mount brackets and mount the tweeters down low on the door by the mid. Honestly, the best thing to do when deciding on tweeter placement is to go buy some velcro and just try them in different locations on the door/a-pillars.

Closed Thread