Closed Thread

Reload Thread: DIY Component Questions

canadiancav is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DIY Component Questions

Hi, I haven't really been able to find any components that are decently priced and sound good being that I live in an area with only 2 small shops and those are overpriced. So I decided to look into the DIY route. I've been looking at Morel, Scanspeak, Seas, Lpg, Vifa, Eton, Max Fidelity, Peerless, and Adire. I was just wondering what are some opinions on some mids and tweets to look into? For mids I would like good mid bass and I would like the tweeters to be smooth and not too harsh so I'm looking mainly at soft domes. I listen to mostly rap but also country,rock, and metal so it would have to be able to play all these kinds of music accurately. I was also wondering what the advantages/disadvantages would be to a 3 way rather than a 2 way since amplification isn't really an issue. So if you could help with some of this and kind of give me some opinions on what would be good or bad about going with DIY I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Warren G is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DIY Component Questions

2 or 3 way would be your choice ie installation space, budget wise, etc... for brands, you just answered your own question. Morel, Scanspeak, Seas, Lpg, Vifa, Eton, Max Fidelity, Peerless, and Adire would be all good brands. Usually it depends on your budget. If money ain't a thang, then go with Scanspeak revelators or Seas Excel. Very expensive equipment but also good. Theres many topics on these brands, just do a search for them.

canadiancav is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Warren. Sorry I wasn't a little clearer on that, I meant some more specific drivers from some of those brands (i.e. mids that have good midbass and good tweeters). Space is sort of limited but the stock location in my car (1990 Cadillac Brougham) is 4x6's in the dash so if i decided to go 3 way I could fit a 6 1/2 in the door in the pods that I'm going to make, with the ~4" midrange in the dash and the tweeters somewhere in the upper door/a-pillar area, or i could have the mids in the same place, tweeters in the a-pillar and the midrange in the upper part of the door. And as for price I would like to stay below $300 US and $500 CAN.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadiancav
    Thanks Warren. Sorry I wasn't a little clearer on that, I meant some more specific drivers from some of those brands (i.e. mids that have good midbass and good tweeters).
    For mids, the Vifa XT, PL, P & MG series are all good. Peerless HDS (without phase plug), CSC and CSX are good. Max Fidelity high-Q mids are good. Scanspeak Carbon Fiber mids are good. Seas Excel and Lotus mids are excellent. Usher has mids that are said to be "clones" of the SS Carbon Fiber mids. Eton and Morel do have good gear aswell, though I'm not familiar with their model numbers. Dayton Reference series is great.

Tweeters: LPG 25/26nfa are good. Just about anything Morel, I used to gear great things about the MDT29. Most of Seas' tweeters are pretty good. Max Fidelity Neo tweeters have been getting good reviews. Vifa XT tweeters are pretty good also.

Space is sort of limited but the stock location in my car (1990 Cadillac Brougham) is 4x6's in the dash so if i decided to go 3 way I could fit a 6 1/2 in the door in the pods that I'm going to make, with the ~4" midrange in the dash and the tweeters somewhere in the upper door/a-pillar area, or i could have the mids in the same place, tweeters in the a-pillar and the midrange in the upper part of the door.
    I wouldn't put the mids in the dash or upper door. It would be great if you could build kicks for the 4's/tweets and then put the midbass in the lower door.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wouldnt mind using a pair of kodas as my midbass/midrange drivers, Image Dynamics CX are very nice as well. it all depends on how far ud like to go with the install. a pair of 8's would be ideal...

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

osiris999 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what are some sites to buy seas

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

www.madisound.com
    www.zalytron.com

PS: Don't tell the guys @ madisound that it's for your car They'll try to tell you it won't work

preunnerv6 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've used the Vifa PL's before. Very strong midbass. But they may break up around 2,500 hz. They would be good with a tweeter that could play pretty low.

I hear that the Vifa MG's have better range.

diesel_kid is offline Diesel Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would you guys suggest for a midbass, tweeter and x-over for listening mostly to metal and hardcore stuff, but also listening to alot of classic rock such as sabbath, eagles, beatles and such. I am going to the DIY route as I am in the same boat having only one speaker shop in town thats overpriced and I think you will end up better in the end with making your own. Thanks

Closed Thread