Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Component/Tweeters Layout

Slarti is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Component/Tweeters Layout

Hi,

I am about to buy a set of front speakers for my Focus (to match an Alpine 9827 HU).

Obviously, I lean towards a Component system. However, the focus does not have built in spots for the tweeters, and we have some car-burglary in the area, and I really do not wish to attract thieves by having tweeters visible through the window. I have therefore received an offer from a guy installing systems in the area, which can solve the problem, and would like to get the forum's opinion regarding how much it will impair the sound quality:

The idea is this. I will purchase a 5.25" component system (the focus has room for 6"x8" speakers). He will then take an MDF board, and place on its lower part the Mid unit, and on it's upper part the tweeter, diagonally tilted. Then, all this will be fitted into the front door.

So, basically, the tweeter will be approximately 5-8 inches below the window line of the car, BUT, it will be positioned so that its "sound beam" is aimed upwards, hitting directly the ears.

Theoretically, this sounds to me that it should have similar quality to placing the tweeters near the mirror-control area, and aiming them towards the driver, but I would like to hear professional opinion.

Thanks,

Ofer.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Component/Tweeters Layout

Sounds like a good plan. Another thing you could so is to mount the tweeter co-axially (in the middle of the mid) with a "bridge" of some kind (like a metal strap, etc).

Depression is offline ISSUES

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On this topic I want to pose a question....I read in the "Car Stereo Cookbook" (which I highly question on some philosophies) that you should "NEVER" place the Tweeter more than 6" away from the mid...Sounds good but there must be exeptions???
    I have an AMAZING mounting option in my truck yet it places the Tweeter about 24 " from the Midbass???
    Any opinions

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, there are exceptions. It's just a general "rule of thumb" and not something that needs to be followed religiously.

Closed Thread