Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

17 Kia Soul Speaker Questions

Hello, I'm having a difficult time understanding some things about car audio. I have a 2017 Kia Soul. I would like to upgrade the tweeters, front, and back door speakers. I cant seem to find the answer I'm looking for online.

How do I know how much power the stock system supports?

Can I install new speakers without running out of power? or do I have to have an amp?

Would I need to upgrade the wiring?

Thank you for any help

- I don't have a sub, and I plan to upgrade the in dash LCD (media display?) if that means anything to the questions above

Jcsaudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Re: 17 Kia Soul Speaker Questions

Figure on the stock radio putting out about 8 to 10 watts RMS (root mean square). RMS power is the average continuous power that the built in amplifier in the radio puts out. what you want to do is match the RMS rating of the speaker to the RMS rating of the amplifier or radio RMS rating. It’s better to have the amplifier or radio put out more power than the speaker needs and a good place to start there is about 125%. This is more important with power hungry speakers like woofers and subwoofers though. Tweeters are where it’s less important mainly because they do not require a lot of power. You also want to match the ohm rating of the tweeter/speaker to what was already there unless you’re upgrading all the speakers in which case you could go from 8 ohm to 4 ohms. Also pay attention the sensitivity ratings. Chances are you won’t be able to find out what is already there. I would however guess that the sensitivity rating is high like in the 92-95 percent range.

Here are some good articles related to what you want to know. https://www.crutchfield.com/lc_3/Car...ng-Guides.html
    https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/le...akers.html?c=3
    https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/le...guide.html?c=3
    https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/le...rades.html?c=3

The first two Dayton tweeters ND16FA & ND20FA listed in this link are nice factory ratio replacement tweeters that you could wire in place of the factory ones and hot glue them in. These are 6 ohms but I think they will work great. Just make sure you put a cap in-line or reuse the existing one to filter out the lower frequencies so you don’t blow the tweeter.
    https://www.parts-express.com/cat/tweeters/17
    Last edited by Jcsaudio; 05-24-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Grammar

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10 Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.
    2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10 sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.
    2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12 2 cube/33Hz.

youdoofus is offline Well, hello Mr.Fancypants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1039 Post(s)

Re: 17 Kia Soul Speaker Questions

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondStrange View Post
    Hello, I'm having a difficult time understanding some things about car audio. I have a 2017 Kia Soul. I would like to upgrade the tweeters, front, and back door speakers. I cant seem to find the answer I'm looking for online.

How do I know how much power the stock system supports?

Can I install new speakers without running out of power? or do I have to have an amp?

Would I need to upgrade the wiring?

Thank you for any help

- I don't have a sub, and I plan to upgrade the in dash LCD (media display?) if that means anything to the questions above
    youd get more out of replacing the deck than the speakers if youre just doing one or the other.

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)
    2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)
    Pioneer AVH-2300NEX
    2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff
    Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters
    Rear speakers: stock
    I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List