+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Looking for good midbass speakers & crossover to pair with my Tymphany tweeters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Looking for good midbass speakers & crossover to pair with my Tymphany tweeters

Hi,

I have a 2013 Chevy Volt and I am currently in the process of bypassing the factory Bose amp and upgrading speakers. I have another thread about that, Just looking for recommendations about speakers and crossovers here.

I currently have Tymphany NE19VTS-04 tweeters installed in the pillars. The only crossover for them is the factory spec capacitor I installed with them when I put them in.

My first thoughts on speakers based on other recommendations was the Silver Flute W17RC38-04 however I am not sure if that's a good option or not and they will be cutting it close with space. I know for sure speakers with a 2.75" mounting depth fit with a little room to spare but those are 2.95"

So here's what I am looking for. A good clean natural sounding midbass speaker if the Silver Flute's aren't a good option, and recommendations on what kind of passive crossover to use for them. I found some cheap ones on Amazon but I am really not sure if they will be the best option for the money.

youdoofus is online now Well, hello Mr.Fancypants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    911 Post(s)

Re: Looking for good midbass speakers & crossover to pair with my Tymphany tweeters

stick with parts-express for separates and why not run active with a DSP?

PRV is an awesome bang for the buck driver

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-au...-ohm--294-2703

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)
    2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)
    Pioneer AVH-2300NEX
    2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff
    Stock front and rears (theyre actually squirrels listening to headphones that ive trained to sing what theyre hearing)

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Popwarhomie is online now Team Lethal Pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2413 Post(s)

Re: Looking for good midbass speakers & crossover to pair with my Tymphany tweeters

I will never go back to PA mids after running Silver flutes. They sound amazing and get very loud as well.

2016 Focus ST - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /
    2010 Focus coupe [email protected]
    Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /
    https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINGRANDPA View Post
    I have no idea what i'm talking about.

Jcsaudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

I used the 1" version of those tweeters and they had lots of detail but sounded kind of flat and they sound strained when I tried to cross them below 2600 hz. The SB Acoustics tweeters are much better.

Mid bass drivers are tough to find for near IB car doors. I have the Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers, which are 5-1/4" drivers and they have fantastic midrange, but lack a little in mid bass in my Fords F150 doors. You will need a clean sounding sub woofer to make up for it their lack of mid bass. I also have the NVX XSP65 mid woofers (same as SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4) and they have a nice detailed and warm sound, but they cannot match the mid bass of the Polk Audio mid woofers from my old DB 6501 set I had installed there before. Many of the lower line component sets from companies like Morel and some Focal have decent mid woofers but not so decent tweeters. The mid woofers from these sets are really only what you need and they are designed for car doors. You may be able to use the passive crossovers too, depending on the crossover point, FR, and ohm rating of the tweeter you have. Do not discount Image Dynamics and some of the not so well known brands such as Sundown, SoundQube, and many other that you can find on Sound Solutions Audio Website. O have Focal PS165V mid woofers in my Sienna and those sound nice and have good mid bass.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.
    2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Alpine 40 WPC x 4. Alpine MRP 450 at 400 watts RMS x1. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub sealed .5 cubes.
    2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” sealed.

killeraxemannic is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    I will never go back to PA mids after running Silver flutes. They sound amazing and get very loud as well.
    What do you use for a crossover with yours?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by youdoofus View Post
    stick with parts-express for separates and why not run active with a DSP?

PRV is an awesome bang for the buck driver

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-au...-ohm--294-2703
    I'm not against active however I don't have a whole lot of room to work with so the smaller the better. Honestly I've never done anything with active crossovers. I'm sure I could figure it out though. Anything you recommend?

Popwarhomie is online now Team Lethal Pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2413 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
    What do you use for a crossover with yours?
    Ran active.

2016 Focus ST - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /
    2010 Focus coupe [email protected]
    Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /
    https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMINGRANDPA View Post
    I have no idea what i'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Run mine all active too. Many of the newer head units have the capability to run your amplifiers as an active crossover.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.
    2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Alpine 40 WPC x 4. Alpine MRP 450 at 400 watts RMS x1. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub sealed .5 cubes.
    2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” sealed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

If I got a 4 channel amp dedicated to the front stage and used the Rockford DSR1 I would be able to use that as an active crossover correct? I think that's the way I am thinking about going now. Something like 2 Alpine 445U's for power, one dedicated to the front stage and the second using 1 and 2 for the rears and either use the 3 and 4 channel on the second 445U bridged for a small subwoofer or go with an active hideaway subwoofer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

The DSR1 is a POS and the Alpine 445U's isn’t the best choice power wise unless you have size constraints. I have owned and tried both. A good budget 4 channel amplifier would be the Pioneer D8604 (~$125 new) or the SoundQubed S4-100 $149). Both put out at least 100 watts per channel and will give you the dynamic headroom your speakers need. The best DSP on a budget that is user friendly would be a JL Audio Twk 88. I compared the DSR1 to my JL TwK and there is no comparison in my opinion. I’ve read good things about Mini DSP but have no personal experience with that brand. Helix also makes a high end DSP but Helix is pricy and then there is AudioControl, which makes a DSP and amplifier all in one. The best budget mono subwoofer amplifier I have found and have is the JBL GTX500 selling for just $99 on Crutchfield right now. That amplifier has been shown on a dyno to put out well over 600 watts RMS. The infinity series amplifiers sold by Crutchfield are solid performers too and very efficient. You will need 4 gauge OFC wire though For all of the above mentioned amplifiers for each amplifier for power and ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5721 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    I've used the flutes. If I was you I'd invest in a good driver. 200 a pair is a good price point.
    Something built to lower harmonic distortion.

Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7783 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
    If I got a 4 channel amp dedicated to the front stage and used the Rockford DSR1 I would be able to use that as an active crossover correct? I think that's the way I am thinking about going now. Something like 2 Alpine 445U's for power, one dedicated to the front stage and the second using 1 and 2 for the rears and either use the 3 and 4 channel on the second 445U bridged for a small subwoofer or go with an active hideaway subwoofer.
    too little power and too expensive. wont be worth jack sh*t.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

youdoofus is online now Well, hello Mr.Fancypants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    911 Post(s)

ive never seen a bad opinion of the silver flutes

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)
    2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)
    Pioneer AVH-2300NEX
    2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff
    Stock front and rears (theyre actually squirrels listening to headphones that ive trained to sing what theyre hearing)

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5721 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by youdoofus View Post
    ive never seen a bad opinion of the silver flutes
    They aren't bad. They are decent for the price no doubt.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1187 Post(s)

The flutes are okay, nothing wrong with them. But a little bit more money will get you a lot more refinement.

These are both great for killer bass.

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speake...chy7-4ohm.html

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-398

Don't worry about the Dayton being 8ohms, it destroys on normal power. It's some of the best bass I've heard, period.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Tag List