Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Advise on tweeter upgrade

I recently upgrade my front mids to precision power 6.5 pro audio but my polk mm tweets don't seem to keep up with them at high volume and seem to lose detail....I was looking to get the massive ct-2 tweets are they decent or anything better?ps I have a ppi phatom 900.4 150w X 4 channel amp.

ciaonzo is online now TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1156 Post(s)

Re: Advise on tweeter upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7696 Post(s)

I've had both, the sb acoustics neo dont even come close to the ct-2s in every aspect lol. They are nice and solid feel but thats just about it. Soundstage, upper frequency response, overall output capabilities/sensitivity are all sub par in comparison even directly on axis or whatever orientation you can think of. However if i never heard the ct-2s, I would have liked the sb neos.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

ciaonzo is online now TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1156 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    I've had both, the sb acoustics neo dont even come close to the ct-2s in every aspect lol. They are nice and solid feel but thats just about it. Soundstage, upper frequency response, overall output capabilities/sensitivity are all sub par in comparison even directly on axis or whatever orientation you can think of. However if i never heard the ct-2s, I would have liked the sb neos.
    Just throwing out a responsible suggestion for the guy. Never heard the ct-2 so I'll take your word for it.

I have plenty of other suggestions and believe me, they would leave a shit print on both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

criddopher is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I had the ct-2, It's loud. I found the sq to be terrible. At louder volumes it was also quite fatiguing . I use a vifa xt right now that sounds wonderful smooth, full of detail, a wide open lively tone. it handles my system at full volume keeping up with dayton 7's getting 180w a channel and my dayton midrange, it along with the vifa tweeter are seeing 80w I believe from my ppi black ice? I do have the gain dialed back some though. ( and yeah i registered to post this, thats how much i, personally, disliked the ct-2 lol )

Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7696 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by criddopher View Post
    I had the ct-2, It's loud. I found the sq to be terrible. At louder volumes it was also quite fatiguing . I use a vifa xt right now that sounds wonderful smooth, full of detail, a wide open lively tone. it handles my system at full volume keeping up with dayton 7's getting 180w a channel and my dayton midrange, it along with the vifa tweeter are seeing 80w I believe from my ppi black ice? I do have the gain dialed back some though. ( and yeah i registered to post this, thats how much i, personally, disliked the ct-2 lol )
    how was your EQ set? depending on your vehicle acoustics and tweeter positioning, you might need to tone down 3khz to 8khz.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

audiobaun is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bajbass View Post
    I recently upgrade my front mids to precision power 6.5 pro audio but my polk mm tweets don't seem to keep up with them at high volume and seem to lose detail....I was looking to get the massive ct-2 tweets are they decent or anything better?ps I have a ppi phatom 900.4 150w X 4 channel amp.
    You might be like me and need to step up and get a set of titanium tweets and get away from soft dome tweets

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid [email protected] Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm [email protected] Ft [email protected] CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine [email protected],Autotek BTX [email protected] AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

evilmonstertruk is online now Premium Member evilmonstertruk is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    You might be like me and need to step up and get a set of titanium tweets and get away from soft dome tweets
    Which ones did you get? Im in the market for tweeters now. Thx

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LosIsATool is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7615 Post(s)

Tweeters need EQ to work well. They are very reflective.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T
    JBL MS-8
    DD M1c, DD SS4A
    IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed
    Hertz HT28
    Hertz HV165XL
    Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

Papermaker85 is online now Better built than bought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5559 Post(s)

https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...eeter--277-084 no way on earth you can get a better tweeter for the money. they keep up with my 18s and they are soft domes..

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

bajbass is online now Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Papermaker85 View Post
    https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...eeter--277-084 no way on earth you can get a better tweeter for the money. they keep up with my 18s and they are soft domes..
    wow those look impressive... sry i didnt see those before but i already ordered the ct-2s so ill see how they go i have a alpine 164bt head unit with a 9 band parametric eq and active should be enough to get them sound to my liking...i hope...

Jcsaudio is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

I have the SB Acoustics ring dome tweeters mentioned above and love them. So smooth and detailed with a wide soundstage although they do tend to roll off early off axis more than some above 15k. Their midrange clarity and detail in a two way setup and their low fs is very good for a tweeter their size.

I had the Massive Audio CT2 tweeters and they definitely have good off axis response and get loud but in a two way setup I personally like great solid midrange and smooth detailed highs where you can hear every tiny detail; the SB Acoustics tweeters win for me their. The Massive Audio tweeters also needed more EQ from my DSP compared to other tweeters I tried from Morel and Peerless. I can see why Jeff likes the Massive Audio tweeters. Just look at the power he is running compared to mine. My front stage is just 300 watts RMS and 500 Watts RMS for the sub and although I like my systems to be able to get loud, I typically listen to them at low volumes like 10-20 out of 50.

Parts Express has some really good tweeters that are penny’s on the dollar compared to car audio specific brands and can sound as good or better. The Tang Bang tweeters in my truck are one axample. Madisound is another good online store to look for speaker drivers and they have many other SB Acoustics tweeters you can try too.

Currently I have Celestion 2-7/8” full range drivers covering from 800 to 15,000 hz with Dayton Audio air motion tweeters taking care of 15k and up in the dash of my CX5. Of all the setups and tweeters I have tried, these Celestion full range drivers have the widest sound stage, the most detail, and just sound the most realistic I have ever heard. I don’t think that they would be a good fit for anyone who wants it louder than what my systems are capable of though with their 8 ohm impedance and small size but they do keep up with my SB door woofers and Sundown sub just fine. They may be a good fit for you but I’m not sure what you’re after.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10 Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.
    2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Alpine 40 WPC x 4. Alpine MRP 450 at 400 watts RMS x1. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10 sub sealed .5 cubes.
    2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12 sealed.

ChaseinBass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    933 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    Still loving my ct2 s Jeff ! Glad I took your advice !

Pioneer Prs80, Rockford DSR1, Taramps 15000 HD, two 18 team FI , 4x PPI900.4s, Massive Audio CT2 tweeters, CDT 6.5 mids and 2 pr Anarchy midbass, 3 group31 juice box batterys , lots of 0 gauge and NRG aluminum hardware, Triple 300 amp CES hairpins, 4 Banks of 6 ultra caps.

bajbass is online now Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Ok so the tweeters were delivered yesterday and i install them lastnight i must say they really shine in the upper frequencies where the mm tweeters were more tame..really give my music more sparkle to it, didnt really had to chance to tune them just right but they dont seem harsh at all and they keep up with my PA speakers better that the mm tweeters, right now i have them cross at 4k with a 24 db slope will try a lower crossover point and play with the slopes to get them perfect...THX

wew lad is online now wew lad inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2678 Post(s)

I really enjoy my CDT tweeters, but they're run on their own channels

I still have some of the polk mm tweeters in my kicks, might change them out to the CT-2S as recommended

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudz View Post
    Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List