Closed Thread

Reload Thread: sq setup in dakota club cab...

95TsiAWD is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sq setup in dakota club cab...

I have a dodge dakota club cab. Im putting the MTX thunderform w 2 10's under the rear seat ran by an MTX 2300x amp.

I ordered a set of 5.25" q-form kickpanels. I want to put a component system in there, was thinking kenwood excelon since they go down to 40hz.

then a 6.5" component system in the back, same excelon that goes down to 35hz.

I planned to power both component systems by an MTX 2150x amp, both left channels ran parallel into the left, and both right channels parallel into the right.

I then want some 6.5" Midbass's for the front doors powered by another MTX 2150x amp (300RMS at 2 ohms mono at 12.5 volts, birthsheet says 440)

Recommend me some midbass's or any better component systems as well. Or does anyone know if I can cram 8" midbass into the doors?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: sq setup in dakota club cab...

No offense....but that sounds like a pretty bad plan so far.

1) You need to forget about putting a component set in the rear. Spend more money on the component set for the front, and then buy some decent co-axials for the back.

2) By paralleling both L speakers to one channel and both R speakers to one channel, you will lose your ability to balance front to rear. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that you will have bigger speakers in the rear than you will in the front, and you will have no way to attenuate the speakers in the rear (since you want most of the sound coming from the set in front of you, not from behind you).

3) How do you plan on bandpassing the additional midbass in your door?? Does the amp or HU have all the crossover functions that you need (BOTH a highpass and a lowpass) at the frequencies that you need. Or do you need an active crossover?

4) You do realize that you can't run the amp mono to the additional midbasses, correct?

5) You do realize that you will probably blow those component sets trying to play them down that low. Just because it is listed in their "frequency response" doesn't mean that they will effectively play them. Try shooting a 35hz sine wave at a high volume through them and tell me what happens

And if you want suggestions, you gotta tell us a budget

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, a set of components in the rear is overkill and will ruin you imaging- a good set of coaxes will be fine

you lost me with your plans on how you'll wire your frontstage...... do you mean series? to get a 2ohm stereo load you need to wire them in series- preferably the fronts off 1 channel, the rears off another- since you lose your abilty fade w/ a 2ch amp- you can use the balance
    function to fade fronts from rears off your HU

I highly doubt you'll like the sound of anything below 80-100hz off those speakers, anything below should be handled by your subs

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    you lost me with your plans on how you'll wire your frontstage...... do you mean series? to get a 2ohm stereo load you need to wire them in series
    If they are 4ohm speakers, then they would need to be wired in parallel, not series.

preferably the fronts off 1 channel, the rears off another- since you lose your abilty fade w/ a 2ch amp- you can use the balance
    function to fade fronts from rears off your HU
    Actually, that would be worse. If he wired both fronts off of one channel, and both rears off of the other channel, then he would lose stereo sound (since both L & R would be getting the same signal, it would be mono and not stereo) which is a lot worse than losing front to rear fading and having them both at the same volume level. But, running both front & rear off of one channel is less than ideal also.

Probably a better idea is to run the front components off of the two channel amp, and then running rear co-axials off of the headunits internal amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I meant parallel...I always get those confused......just ownedmyself ....long day......too busy thinking about gettin th fock out of work

But doesnt wiring a a 2 ch parallel produce a 2ohm stereo load? I see why you you thought my initial comment would draw a 2ohm mono load (which by the way not too many 2ch class a/b amps out there can handle)

I ran in my last car a 2ch Soundstrean SA180 (60x2- 90x2 @2ohms) and was able to run my whole fronstage off of it ~45rms a piece and was able to fade using my balance function....
    Last edited by 3.5Max6spd; 07-12-2004 at 05:16 PM.

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    But doesnt wiring a a 2 ch parallel produce a 2ohm stereo load? I see why you you thought my initial comment would draw a 2ohm mono load (which by the way not too many 2ch class a/b amps out there can handle)
    What?!?! You really just lost me....LOL. If you have 4 speakers (as the original poster will have), and wire both left speakers together on one channel, and both right speakers together on the other channel, then each channel would have a 2ohm load (assuming the speakers were 4ohm each as most car speakers are).

I ran in my last car a 2ch Soundstrean SA180 (60x2- 90x2 @2ohms) and was able to run my whole fronstage off of it ~45rms a piece and was able to fade using my balance function....
    How did you have it wired?? And what all speakers were wired?? Again, you lost me....LOL

But, long story short, you don't want to run BOTH front speakers off of ONE channel, and BOTH rear speakers off of ONE channel because you would not have stereo sound, you would only have mono sound (because both front speakers would need to play the left & the right signal, and both rear speakers would have to play the left and the right signal. And if both pairs of speakers are playing the same signal, that is mono and not stereo.). You can physically do it.....but it is a very bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I realize my speakers weren't in stereo, but the amp draw was 2ohms stereo is what I was implying- not the most ideal thing to do for imaging but at the time I was running ported and all I wanted was loud, but it is possible to do- when all you have is a 2ch up front you try everything

This was also back in '95, the vehicle was a Toyota Paseo I had 4in" in the doors and 6.5"in the rear and a vented 12" Round Solobaric (yes , vented) off a Kicker ZR360 and it was so **** loud for me that I could not distinguish wether they sounded in stereo or not- alot has changed since '95
    Last edited by 3.5Max6spd; 07-12-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

bose301s,qwertvt

m1122 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just get a 3 way comp set up front. then you wont have to waste money on a comp set in the back and mids in the doors.

cdt cl641.........little over 200
    or....
    dynaudios running over $700.

neways check out the cdt's

hu: nak cd400
    comps: adire koda 6.1
    subs: dual e12o's
    amps: hifonics bx1500d and zeus zx4000

Closed Thread