+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: Soundstage/Component question.

  1. #1
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Soundstage/Component question.

    I am putting a system in my 79 Vette (2cd car). It has factory radio and I'd like to not mess with the factory look (use my I-phone to deliver signal) or mess with dash speakers or put them in the kick panels. My preference is to have a local shop build box for 6 1/2's and a 10" sub and put in the hatchback (the 79 is the bubble back with h/back). I'll purchase the speakers and sub from them but have the amp (an older PPI PCX I took out of one of my systems years ago).
    Since we would not be installing tweeter in the a-pillars/doors for the soundstage and it will all be coming from the rear hatchback will components do me any good or should I just buy co-axials????? If so-may even look at 6 x 9's since I have room for them.

    I'll be looking at the norm-Focals-JL Audio's-Image Dynamics-ect
    Last edited by dacocad; 04-18-2017 at 07:26 PM.







  2. #2
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is offline Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Thomas, ND
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1788 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Why do you not want to use the dash speaker locations?

    I have several ideas to get you some great clarity up front for vocals and instruments without getting into customization/molestation of the interior.




    Rubyserv - Specializing in car audio system designs and sales for those seeking great sound.
    Authorized dealer for CDT Audio - Shop With Us Now.
    Zapco, Stinger, PAC Audio and Metra
    Rubyservsales
    Rubyserv

  3. Thanks dacocad thanked for this post
    Likes beak81champ liked this post
  4. #3
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    Why do you not want to use the dash speaker locations?

    I have several ideas to get you some great clarity up front for vocals and instruments without getting into customization/molestation of the interior.
    I'd be really interested in your ideas/options. My intention was to drive it to a couple local shops this week to get quotes/options but it's been raining here and do not like to get the car out in the rain. I also have a buddy that could do the install that used to have a shop years ago if I go that route and order off internet. My inexperienced thinking was that the dash would be a worse location than the hatchback as it looks to me the largest speaker to fit there would be maybe 5 1/4 and then bouncing into the windshield when I could get 6x9's in the rear. But better options would be great!




  5. #4
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    13,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5958 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacocad View Post
    I'd be really interested in your ideas/options. My intention was to drive it to a couple local shops this week to get quotes/options but it's been raining here and do not like to get the car out in the rain. I also have a buddy that could do the install that used to have a shop years ago if I go that route and order off internet. My inexperienced thinking was that the dash would be a worse location than the hatchback as it looks to me the largest speaker to fit there would be maybe 5 1/4 and then bouncing into the windshield when I could get 6x9's in the rear. But better options would be great!
    basic question. When you go to a concert do you look at the artist/band or do you turn away from them.

    Rear is a horrible idea sound stage wise.



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  6. Thanks dacocad thanked for this post
  7. #5
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    I hear ya. I knew the rear was the worst location but didn't realize it was as bad as "horrible". It's a car that's fairly loud (motor) and will always have the T-tops off when driven if that matters. So I know with the wind noise and being open that I'm already starting off with a pretty bad soundstage.




  8. #6
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    13,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5958 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacocad View Post
    I hear ya. I knew the rear was the worst location but didn't realize it was as bad as "horrible". It's a car that's fairly loud (motor) and will always have the T-tops off when driven if that matters. So I know with the wind noise and being open that I'm already starting off with a pretty bad soundstage.
    if you think 5.25 is a limiter, you havent seen the proper drivers..

    These 5.25s have high sensitivity along with high power handling. feed them 200 watts rms each and pair them with some tweeters in the sail panel and you have yourself a nice sound stage thats more than capable of producing powerful clear sound with the sunroof off. kinda pricey tho when you factor in the amount of power you want to fully max out the speaker's capabilities. I mean it'll still get balls to the walls loud with 100 watts but it becomes a monster with 200+

    https://www.parts-express.com/prv-au...m_campaign=pla



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  9. #7
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Ya'll changed my thinking-I googled speakers on my C3 Vette forum and they are either putting 4 x 6's in the dash or 6.5's in the kicks (4 x 6 are original size for both but looks tough to get anything but a 4 x 6 in dash-6.5 (slim one) will fit in kicks if I want to) or both.




  10. #8
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    13,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5958 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacocad View Post
    Ya'll changed my thinking-I googled speakers on my C3 Vette forum and they are either putting 4 x 6's in the dash or 6.5's in the kicks (4 x 6 are original size for both but looks tough to get anything but a 4 x 6 in dash-6.5 (slim one) will fit in kicks if I want to) or both.
    i'd do the 6.5 in the kick panels.

    On the higher end side you got the PRV 6mr500 ndy
    on the cheaper side you have ct sounds neo pro 6.5
    On the middle ground you have crescendo UN 6.5s but they are usually out of stock.

    All these are pretty slim due to the neodymium motor.

    If you can get the kick panel that has a tweeter mount along with it angling up, that can do wonders for soundstage as well. However with the dash, you can fit some nice ring radiator tweeters in there. If you like screeching highs, you can do bullet tweeters... but thats a rare breed of people that actually likes them.

    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1016



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

  11. Thanks dacocad thanked for this post
  12. #9
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    Why do you not want to use the dash speaker locations?

    I have several ideas to get you some great clarity up front for vocals and instruments without getting into customization/molestation of the interior.
    I'd still be interested in your idea-thanks!




  13. #10
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is offline Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Thomas, ND
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1788 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacocad View Post
    I'd still be interested in your idea-thanks!
    I just sent out some information, with pictures, to a customer who is doing up his 79 Vette. If you would please private message me your first and last name and your best e-mail address I will forward the goods tomorrow.

    Barry Schanz




    Rubyserv - Specializing in car audio system designs and sales for those seeking great sound.
    Authorized dealer for CDT Audio - Shop With Us Now.
    Zapco, Stinger, PAC Audio and Metra
    Rubyservsales
    Rubyserv

  14. #11
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Went ahead and bought locally this morning-Hertz 6 x 9's (HCX690) for rear and Hertz 4 x 6's (DCX460) for the front (going in the dash-wasn't too keen on seeing them in the door kicks). Got a JL 10 W3 for the sub (buddy's going to build a box for the 6 x 9's and sub-will be able to take it out as well as hide with a the curtain that comes on these Vettes). The PPI is just too big, plus I wanted a 5 channel so I bought an Alpine PDX-V9 (this things small-it fits on my storage compartment behind the seats and will never be seen). Added a Bluetooth and amp kit and we are going to do the install next week.


    Thx for the advice!
    Last edited by dacocad; 04-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.




  15. #12
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    They completed the install today and it sounds excellent-a lot better than I was expecting. We did the same equipment as above except the installer had recommended that I do Infinity Kappa 4 x 6 plates instead of the Hertz's lower line (only line Hertz makes a 4x6 in). I knew with the Vetter interior and the tops off that I didn't have a good car for perfect sound but it surprised me today. Glad I went with some sound in the front-it all blends together nicely but the you can tell the majority of the sound is coming from the rear and it actually sounds great that way.




  16. #13
    LosIsATool's Avatar
    LosIsATool is online now DD subs are the best!



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Age
    36
    Posts
    16,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6938 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by dacocad View Post
    They completed the install today and it sounds excellent-a lot better than I was expecting. We did the same equipment as above except the installer had recommended that I do Infinity Kappa 4 x 6 plates instead of the Hertz's lower line (only line Hertz makes a 4x6 in). I knew with the Vetter interior and the tops off that I didn't have a good car for perfect sound but it surprised me today. Glad I went with some sound in the front-it all blends together nicely but the you can tell the majority of the sound is coming from the rear and it actually sounds great that way.
    When you go to a live concert where is the band? They are not behind you. A proper 2 channel will build a 3D holographic image of the live band in front of you. Like you are sitting a few rows back. Every voice and instrument is where it would really be spread out across the dash board. But if you are happy you are happy.



    2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T
    JBL MS-8
    DD M1c, DD SS4A
    IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed
    Hertz HT28
    Hertz HV165XL
    Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.
    I work in a factory!

  17. #14
    dacocad's Avatar
    dacocad is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by LosIsATool View Post
    When you go to a live concert where is the band? They are not behind you. A proper 2 channel will build a 3D holographic image of the live band in front of you. Like you are sitting a few rows back. Every voice and instrument is where it would really be spread out across the dash board. But if you are happy you are happy.
    I hear ya-and I'm super glad we put the Kappas up front for a front stage-turning them off made it sound pretty bad. But we rode around with the ttops off for an hour or so adjusting the front/rears and sub and have it perfect (the gains are higher on fronts but with the larger 6 x 9's and sub in rear you can sure tell a lot of the sound is coming from the rear-which is they way it should be in that car as it sounds the best).




  18. #15
    Jeffdachef's Avatar
    Jeffdachef is online now Gunz That Turn on Nunz



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Coast Metro, CA
    Posts
    13,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5958 Post(s)

    Re: Soundstage/Component question.

    Quote Originally Posted by LosIsATool View Post
    When you go to a live concert where is the band? They are not behind you. A proper 2 channel will build a 3D holographic image of the live band in front of you. Like you are sitting a few rows back. Every voice and instrument is where it would really be spread out across the dash board. But if you are happy you are happy.
    we should probably just give up on this. majority of the world has no clue what proper sound stage and music should sound like...

    If the dude thinks its good enough then fk it. move on.



    09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum