Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

WTF, Just.....WTF???

So, I have 2 pairs of Alpine SPS-610C component sets running on a little alpine 45 x 4 amp, and after only a couple months 3 out of 4 of the tweeters are blown.
    Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I am wondering if I could replace the tweeters with a couple pairs of alpine tweets, like these:

or upgrade them with these:

I don't know how the impedance works with the component sets. The speaker and tweet together are 4 ohms. Not sure if they are 8 ohms to start with, or if the inducer coils and capacitor crossover deals change the impedance. With that, I don't know if I can just change the tweeter to another model.
    Or, would moving up to the R series be best:

Running this head if it matters :
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-147bt

Any suggestions on this, women, or taxes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2020 Post(s)

Re: WTF, Just.....WTF???

Type S is very low end. You can drop whatever you want into the tweeter hole, likely won't be any worse than what you have, but I've been pretty impressed with the type R components for what they are if you like the Alpine product line.

3. Thanks SamIam71 thanked for this post
    SamIam71 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Before I bought these, I was seeing them all over ebay for sale, without the tweeters, just the 6.5 speakers for sale used. I bought these new, but I think I see why so many were being sold without tweeters, because the tweeters are straight trash. I know they are just average speakers as far as things go, but they worked well enough for their application, for what little time they worked. I don't want to keep putting s series tweets in if they are just going to be eaten up by the little amp, but don't want to pay double for a component set if I don't have to. The 6.5 is marked 4 Ω, the tweeter has no markings. Still not sure how the two pieces of the component set come together to be 4 Ω, or if I just buy a replacement tweeter that is sold as a 4Ω if it will change the overall resistance of the component set.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Just an update here. Several months back I replaced the Type S component sets with Type R due to the Type S tweeters blowing quicker than **** fluffer, and the difference is amazing. Holy **** what a difference. Incredibly louder, and all the tweets have held up fine. I think the type S components might be a really good set to use to upgrade from factory speakers, or if they were just ran straight off of a head, but they aren't going to hold up to much more than that.

Jeffdachef is offline 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1351 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam71 View Post
    Just an update here. Several months back I replaced the Type S component sets with Type R due to the Type S tweeters blowing quicker than **** fluffer, and the difference is amazing. Holy **** what a difference. Incredibly louder, and all the tweets have held up fine. I think the type S components might be a really good set to use to upgrade from factory speakers, or if they were just ran straight off of a head, but they aren't going to hold up to much more than that.
    that is true, even at a home test bench with a 12V car battery, I have to set the gains to 20% on a ppi I520.4 amp because it already reached its maximum output potential. There is very little power handling with those speakers but they are still definitely an upgrade from stock, better then a lot of the other 50-70 dollar cr@p on the market.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Yeah, all the 6.5" speakers were still working. so I gave them to a friend who put them in a jeep with a decent Pioneer head. They were a hell of an upgrade from the stock speakers while running full range and missing the tweeters that came with them. We bypassed the little capacitors on the back of the 6.5's so they would run full range. It was nothing to brag about, but definitely an upgrade from stock.

+ Reply to Thread