+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Reload Thread: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

  1. #1
    tprj82's Avatar
    tprj82 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    I'm gearing up for my build and I see so many builds with like 2,3 4 or more 6 1/2 or 8 mid bass drivers and horns, Back in the day I remembered seeing like 8 6x9's or 12 6.5's why the change? Better sq out of the pro audio? better price point?

    If this is the way to go what are some recommendations for like 4 mid bass and 4 tweeters? I saw on soundqubed site some what seemed reasonably priced gear
    QP-MR6.5 (Sold As Pair) (Grills Not Included)

    QP-TH25 "SuperTweeter" (Sold As Pair)

    is that worthwhile, or is there better dayton stuff from partsexpress in a close price point? just wondering I have 2 sets of soundstream components for the kicks and front doors and and I'm looking for I guess loud rear fill for the wall.

    Also these will be going in the sides/ base of wall not going to build out my doors.

    Thanks for any help





    2006 Bass Race 149.9 World Finals 2nd place

    My references




  2. #2
    bbeljefe's Avatar
    bbeljefe is offline Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Pro audio speakers are louder because of their higher sensitivity and they can generally take more power than conventional mids. And with processing and proper placement, they can get loud and sound good while doing it.



    Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

    Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)


  3. Likes michaellane liked this post
  4. #3
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Regular stuff just can't keep up. I've heard set ups with 8 6.5 comp sets per doors, wasn't loud at all. Another set up with 26 Bosto Pro comp sets, again not all that loud.

    The SQ stuff is very good for the price and can get quite loud. If you do 4 mids then you only need 2 tweeters....




  5. #4
    tprj82's Avatar
    tprj82 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    hmmmm interesting, thanks for the input





    2006 Bass Race 149.9 World Finals 2nd place

    My references

  6. #5
    Cliff459's Avatar
    Cliff459 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Regular stuff just can't keep up. I've heard set ups with 8 6.5 comp sets per doors, wasn't loud at all. Another set up with 26 Bosto Pro comp sets, again not all that loud.

    The SQ stuff is very good for the price and can get quite loud. If you do 4 mids then you only need 2 tweeters....
    You gave some great examples here of why "more is better" just does not apply to car audio speakers. Putting large groups of speakers together with no regard to physics is a recipe for disaster. I did concert audio for quite a few years and trust me, even when speakers are purposely designed to work together there's still a LOT of issues to sort out. The specialized EQ applied to large concert arrays is crazy and difficult to do even with the very expensive DSP processors used in that industry.

    "Pro Audio" drivers are efficient (high SPL per watt of input), rugged (high power handling), and therefore require just a few units to do the job. This avoids the physics problems that come from large arrays of drivers as an attempt to achieve SPL. One thing that seems to do OK by using a "pile of speakers" is subwoofer applications, because the longer wavelengths from low frequency waves don't cancel when placed relatively close together. A 60Hz wave has a wavelength of almost 19 feet, while a 6,000 Hz one has a wavelength of 2-1/4". This means that there will be high-frequency problems even putting 6-1/2" coax speakers right next to each other.




  7. Likes hispls liked this post
  8. #6
    whitedragon551's Avatar
    whitedragon551 is offline Moderator



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    13,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    The only reason to go pro audio drivers is to get loud. They wont sound good, they dont look good, etc.



    CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules



    HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

  9. #7
    d77543020's Avatar
    d77543020 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    stockton ca
    Posts
    2,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    pro audio is loud and cheap




  10. #8
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    The only reason to go pro audio drivers is to get loud. They wont sound good, they dont look good, etc.
    Not neccessarily true. B&C and a few other higher end PA companies make very nice sounding products. Car audio branded PA is junk, though.



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  11. #9
    whitedragon551's Avatar
    whitedragon551 is offline Moderator



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    13,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by SounDrive View Post
    Not neccessarily true. B&C and a few other higher end PA companies make very nice sounding products. Car audio branded PA is junk, though.
    Nice for pro audio as a whole. Nice in the grand scheme of things absolutely not.



    CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules



    HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

  12. #10
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff459 View Post
    You gave some great examples here of why "more is better" just does not apply to car audio speakers. Putting large groups of speakers together with no regard to physics is a recipe for disaster. I did concert audio for quite a few years and trust me, even when speakers are purposely designed to work together there's still a LOT of issues to sort out. The specialized EQ applied to large concert arrays is crazy and difficult to do even with the very expensive DSP processors used in that industry.

    "Pro Audio" drivers are efficient (high SPL per watt of input), rugged (high power handling), and therefore require just a few units to do the job. This avoids the physics problems that come from large arrays of drivers as an attempt to achieve SPL. One thing that seems to do OK by using a "pile of speakers" is subwoofer applications, because the longer wavelengths from low frequency waves don't cancel when placed relatively close together. A 60Hz wave has a wavelength of almost 19 feet, while a 6,000 Hz one has a wavelength of 2-1/4". This means that there will be high-frequency problems even putting 6-1/2" coax speakers right next to each other.
    Which is a big part of the reason the setups with a dozen huge mids, horns and "super" tweeters almost invariably sound like a train wreck but nobody discusses this.




  13. #11
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Nice for pro audio as a whole. Nice in the grand scheme of things absolutely not.
    I wouldn't go that far. What about a high efficiency speaker automatically makes it sound like crap?



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  14. #12
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Nice for pro audio as a whole. Nice in the grand scheme of things absolutely not.
    I wouldn't go that far. What about a high efficiency speaker automatically makes it sound like crap?



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  15. #13
    whitedragon551's Avatar
    whitedragon551 is offline Moderator



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    13,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by SounDrive View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. What about a high efficiency speaker automatically makes it sound like crap?
    I would. Have you ever seen a pro audio setup win a sanctioned and judged SQ event? The only reason pro audio speakers are used is for their high efficiency so they can get loud. Thats it. Pro audio mids dont cover the gap below a certain XO point that traditional car audio mids do because they arent physically designed for it. There is a huge gap of missing frequencies that arent being played. If you have your subwoofer tuned and playing above 63-80Hz (80Hz is pushing it) your doing it wrong.



    CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules



    HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

  16. #14
    SounDrive's Avatar
    SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon & Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    I would. Have you ever seen a pro audio setup win a sanctioned and judged SQ event? The only reason pro audio speakers are used is for their high efficiency so they can get loud. Thats it. Pro audio mids dont cover the gap below a certain XO point that traditional car audio mids do because they arent physically designed for it. There is a huge gap of missing frequencies that arent being played. If you have your subwoofer tuned and playing above 63-80Hz (80Hz is pushing it) your doing it wrong.
    And if one were to do a proper 3 way front stage with a dedicated midbass that makes up for where the PA mid cannot play, what's the problem?



    Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

    Find us on Facebook!

  17. #15
    whitedragon551's Avatar
    whitedragon551 is offline Moderator



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    13,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

    Re: Why so many pro audio setups as compared to numerous car audio speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by SounDrive View Post
    And if one were to do a proper 3 way front stage with a dedicated midbass that makes up for where the PA mid cannot play, what's the problem?
    Find me 1 person that installs PA drivers that runs a proper 3 way front stage and we can continue this conversation.



    CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules



    HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

  18. Likes disturbed471985 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum