+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Help! Blown speakers? Defective headunit? Amp issue? Audio distorts when increased.

Infligo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help! Blown speakers? Defective headunit? Amp issue? Audio distorts when increased.

About a year ago I bought Kenwood KDC-BT752HD radio headunit for my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6. I bought the necessary wiring harness and had it installed. Whenever I increase the volume it gets distorted until you're unable to hear any music and it's just noise. It worked perfectly for a while, except sometimes it would do what it is doing now, but I found that when I opened and slammed the door it would fix this, but not always. Then about 6 months ago it decided to crap out on me and now it is always like this. At first I thought it was my speaker's, but then someone who has had some experience with speakers and radios told me it's very rare that both speakers would blow at the same time, and that in fact it is a problem with the headunit or maybe amp? So I called the company to use the warranty and return the device when they gave their opinion and said that maybe the radio isn't using the car's amp and that's why it distorts when it gets louder. I thought that made a lot of sense, so I didn't return it. But if it is the radio not using the amp, then how did it work before? So do you think the amp is just blown? Or a fuse? I would greatly appreciate any help from someone who has had experience with this kind of thing before. I hate not being able to listen to music properly while driving. Thank you so much!

I recorded it and uploaded it to youtube for you all to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-bD...ature=youtu.be

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Re: Help! Blown speakers? Defective headunit? Amp issue? Audio distorts when increase

Likely something shorted out (bare wire touching bare wire, or bare wire touching metal)

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Help! Blown speakers? Defective headunit? Amp issue? Audio distorts when increase

Sounds like speaker wires are crossed

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

+ Reply to Thread