+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: speaker idea's for custom fiberglass A-Pillars, need more front sound stage!

macantley is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

speaker idea's for custom fiberglass A-Pillars, need more front sound stage!

im probably going to rebuild the A-Pillars in my Infiniti G35 to accept some speakers.

first off i cant do kick panels, the fuse box is where the kick panel speakers would normally go.

I Can rebuild the door panels, but that still puts the sound down low instead of at ear level, and currently all four doors of the car have infinity Kappa 6.5" co-ax speakers.

so that leaves me with the pillars, the existing pillars are approx. 2.5" wide, I would "prefer not to fit any speakers larger than 3" because the larger i go the less visibility ill have, so size is a big factor.

i want full range, prefer 100hz-15KHZ range, but lower or higher is fine. the pillars will be made with fiberglass and then repainted to match the car. i can do a single full range, or even a pair of full range, and also add a tweeter in if needed, currrently the doors do have a tweeter mounted at the top front corner where most factory sound systems mount them.

also mounting depth is definitely a concern, 2" would be about the absolute max i can do, any more and it will impair visibility.

here are some of the options for speakers that ive looked at already:

Fountek FR88EX 3" Neodymium Full Range Driver | 296-719

This is the one im most looking at due to its size and range, i would run two of these in each pillar.

Tang Band W2-748SG 2" Full Range Driver | 264-861

Dayton Audio RS75T-8 3" Reference Full-Range Driver Truncate | 295-336

Fountek FR58EX 2" Neodymium Full Range Driver | 296-725

Im not sure where else to look other than parts-express, maybe there's something else out there, Id prefer a nice sound quality woofer, but dont want to break the bank doing so. Maybe find a happy medium.

any suggestions would be helpful on more options for speakers, My old car (nissan maxima) had qlogic kick panels and between them and the door speakers i had ALOT more sound stage and clarity.

matthew

bbeljefe is offline Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: speaker idea's for custom fiberglass A-Pillars, need more front sound stage!

Any of those 3" mids would be fine. I wouldn't go to the trouble of fabbing up panels for 2" drivers but that's just my preference. I'd also add a tweeter in those pods.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

garychoffmann is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: speaker idea's for custom fiberglass A-Pillars, need more front sound stage!

I did 4 per side of the tang band 2" in my old BMW x5. Sounded awesome

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

were they the same 2" ones i have listed above? they look amazing, i was thinking 2 of them per side, but 4 would probably sound even better, more clarity without pushing them as hard, but the cost is what gets me, that would be around $200 for the woofers, plus having another $100 or so in the build materials. my wife's ready to kill me now because the headunit im ordering is $550 for the unit, install kit and steering control adapter.

but i guess i can order them one pair at a time

matthew

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This SQ or just loud and clear?

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

dbjunior is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Personally I'd do an active front stage with a pair of quality pa 6.5 or 8's if you could fit with a pa tweeter per a pillar. With xovers and levels plus time alignment set correctly it should sound great and get very loud. Quality component sets would do well but won't have near the output of the pa equipment.

bought from MBROOKY, johnny law.Lulz, subzero, tc3k101
    sold to mytrunkslamz , vitveet, cd6551, martiandancer31 (x2), pro-rabbit, whytellyou
    Trade with cf2004

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

id like to think that its SQ, but i like loud and clear also, i have too much bass for a true SQ i think, i have three american bass VFL 12's in the trunk.

I cant fit 6.5 or 8" speakers in the pillars so thats out, i could possibly do an 8" in the door, but ive already got 6.5" Infinity Kappa speakers there.

matthew

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why not just form a panel over the fuse box fur kicks.

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

+ Reply to Thread