Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Frequency

TwistedVisions is offline pimpin my granny to shrap

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Frequency

I was looking around at different 5.25 for my car and i noticed that they are rated by "HZ and KHZ" which i have no idea what that is. I know it might be hard to explain i just need to know if its better to have a lower hz or is it higher the better? Also how do they figure db in with the hz?? thanks

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Frequency

The dB ratings tell you the relative sensitivity of a speaker, generally measured with 1 watt of input and at a distance of 1 meter. It is generally measured @ 1000hz.

1 Hz is one cycle per second. 20Hz is the lowest frequency that most people can hear. 1 kHz is 1 kilohertz or 1000 Hz. 20 kHz is generally the highest frequency that people can hear. Generally a component set will have a frequency range listed and generally it is BS. The speaker might reproduce the low frequency listed, but usually only at low levels. If you turn it up and try to play that frequency, you will usually cook the speaker. If you have a sub, the low frequency extension of most speakers is enough. In fact, you usually want to cross the mids over in their linear range to keep from asking too much of them. If you are stuck using 5.25s, you might want to run a dedicated midbass to fill in the gap between the sub freqs and the midrange if you are using a large sub.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

TwistedVisions is offline pimpin my granny to shrap

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Frequency

To cross my mids over to their linear range can i use a built in crossover in a head unit or do i have to use a built in equalizer?(I ask because i am buying a head unit next friday and the eclipse i was looking at has built in crossovers but no equalizer). Also if i remeber right i saw online that you can buy 5.25 speakers that comes with a midbass,I just can't remeber where and what brand. I think i should have invested more time and money into my front speakers but i was in such a hurry to buy new ones after i blew my factory ones. Can you think of hand where i can buy a good set of 5.25 speakers(brand+location) that come with a midbass?? Im hoping to buy it at a store close by me that way i can get the warrenty and they can install it but there really isn't to many audio stores in mobile,sad to say

Closed Thread