Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Bridging Fronts

bradl79 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Bridging Fronts

ok so i have Rockford Fosgate T165s Comp. Speakers 80w RMS @ 4ohm, can i use my 4ch apline mrp f300 to bridge them and just get a mono block for my sub, the rms for bridging is 150w rms @ 4ohm, will that hurt the speakers or amp?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Bridging Fronts

anything?

RicksI30 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As long as you set the gain, and hpf correctly you will be fine.

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
    Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
    Front stage amp: PPI Bk800.4
    Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 4.5 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
    Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge

Team SSA

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You'll be fine. Like the above, be easy on the gains, and set your hpf.
    Idk if your amp is stable at 2ohm bridged, it'll run hot probably, but if you be easy O the gains it'll be ok.

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

So would I still set the gains accordingly using a dmm like if my amp is 150 RMS @ 4ohm bridged that sets the voltage at 24.49. Do I still set it at that ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bradl79 View Post
    So would I still set the gains accordingly using a dmm like if my amp is 150 RMS @ 4ohm bridged that sets the voltage at 24.49. Do I still set it at that ?
    The amp isn't 2 ohm stable bridged. I run the same amp. Its going to run hot. You'll be okay as long as your conservative with those gains.
    You could use dmm but go easy on the amp.

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

black05alti is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Adding some fans would help too

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    The amp isn't 2 ohm stable bridged. I run the same amp. Its going to run hot. You'll be okay as long as your conservative with those gains.
    You could use dmm but go easy on the amp.
    doesn't have to be 2 ohm stable for a single pair of 4 ohm comps. i think you are assuming front and rear in parallel. if he has a pair of 4 ohm speakers up front, he bridges channels 1&2 to the front left @ 4 ohms and bridges channels 3&4 to the front right @ 4 ohms.

the key is making sure gain is equal for all channels. so use a DMM and a test tone to set within a tenth of a volt or better.

usually set gains for the speaker RMS rated power. but leave yourself head room for the recording level of various artists.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

You'll be good. Make sure you set your HPF high enough where you don't blow your speakers from the bass passing through. You can blow a speaker really quick with bass, ask my Bostons

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    doesn't have to be 2 ohm stable for a single pair of 4 ohm comps. i think you are assuming front and rear in parallel. if he has a pair of 4 ohm speakers up front, he bridges channels 1&2 to the front left @ 4 ohms and bridges channels 3&4 to the front right @ 4 ohms.

the key is making sure gain is equal for all channels. so use a DMM and a test tone to set within a tenth of a volt or better.

usually set gains for the speaker RMS rated power. but leave yourself head room for the recording level of various artists.
    I thought when you bridge you cut the impedance in half . So a 4 ohm speaker bridged is now a2 ohm load.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bradl79 View Post
    You don't have to set speaker gain with DMM. Just don't do stupid things like trying to experiement "how hard your speakers hit". Besides, there is no good verification that the speaker will handle the rated power. Just use them to enjoy the music. Personally, I wouldn't mind running the components without bridging. Most of components with very high power ratings will still bottom out (hit back plate) on their rated power or often less unless you set your high pass to an unusually high frequency. The F300 is rated for 4x50watts, but I have seen tests showing they're underrated and will give you something like 4x65watts at 4ohm with 14.4V. Even if your voltage is lower, it's guaranteed that you should get at least 50clean watts on each channel without bridging. On the other hand, like I said, there should be no harm done when bridging. I don't like bridging class A/B amps as many run a lot hotter, but i believe F300 is class D, so it should do fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    I thought when you bridge you cut the impedance in half . So a 4 ohm speaker bridged is now a2 ohm load.
    It cuts the ohm load of your amp in half kind of, not your speaker.

If an amp is 2 ohm stable in 2 channels, and you bridge those two together, now both together are only 4 ohm stable. They usually put out the same amount of power as the 2 channels at a 2 ohm load. So say each channel is 100w @ 2 ohms, bridged total would be 200w @ 4 ohms.

Same thing works with strapping sub amps. If you have (2) 1 ohm stable sub amps and you strap them together, they can only handle a 2 ohm load.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    It cuts the ohm load of your amp in half kind of, not your speaker.

If an amp is 2 ohm stable in 2 channels, and you bridge those two together, now both together are only 4 ohm stable. They usually put out the same amount of power as the 2 channels at a 2 ohm load. So say each channel is 100w @ 2 ohms, bridged total would be 200w @ 4 ohms.

Same thing works with strapping sub amps. If you have (2) 1 ohm stable sub amps and you strap them together, they can only handle a 2 ohm load.
    Got ya. So the load is still 4 ohm.
    So basically you can only bridge 4 ohm speakers, not 2 ohm speakers.
    as long as the 2 channels are 2 ohm stable to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Another thought i've had.
    No oscope.
    So why not set your hu atty 3/4, then just up the gain until you hear either clipping or distortion, given you aren't overpowering your mids.
    Clipping is obvious at 1khz.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

I would never recommend setting gains with DMM for speakers. Just do it by ear.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast