+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: New Alpine Type R Speakers just sound ok - not sure why

brownsfan019 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Alpine Type R Speakers just sound ok - not sure why

I bought a 2013 Optima and had a local shop install a new audio system. I got the car back tonight and was really disappointed in the bass output of the system. This is my first real audio upgrade, so I wanted to get some more information before I talk to the shop.

Setup:
    • Kept the factory head unit (maybe the problem?)
    • Installed Alpine Type R 6.5" component up-front, coax in back
    • Installed Alpine amp
    • Installed sound mat/deadening (maybe the problem?)
    • No sub installed - obvious way to get more bass but I didn't want to go there unless no other options

My previous car had some cheap 6.5" Alpines that I got on clearance at Best Buy and could really put out some bass. I also installed a new head unit. There was no amp or sound mat installed.

I'd appreciate any input as to why I'm receiving so little bass from the current design.

Thanks!

raptor727 is online now come get some!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: New Alpine Type R Speakers just sound ok - not sure why

I would do head unit first then check to see if the speakers are sealed off, a foam ring on the front like oem speakers have will make a tremendous impact on bass, abother thing check low pass filters on the amp to make sure they are set correctly. A little more in depth on your part would help though as I am not too sure exactly what your looking for... Door speakers are usually good to about 100hrtz imo and then a sub is needed to take care of everything below

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wants more bass output....doesn't buy subwoofer.

These are very conflicting things my friend. You are looking in the complete wrong direction on this. A subwoofer should be the first thing you think about if you want more bass. Even sound quality wise, it would do you more good to go for a subwoofer before looking into aftermarket speakers. Sound deadener will only help your bass output. The stock radio is not the main problem.

Now don't get me wrong those are nice components and will be able to produce some decent midbass, but thats what they are for, they are not for the low bass, thats what subwoofers are designed for, the lowest (bass) frequencies.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

From reviews, the Type Rs seem pretty average speakers. Yes, an average 6.5 speaker in a door install won't deliver a lot of bass. If you want to hear bass, as well as feel it, add a subwoofer.

Oh yes, check the high pass filters on the stereo as well as on the amplifier. It will take some trial and error to figure out the correct setting. Sometimes, you can just run the speakers without an HP filter if you don't drive them too hard. Just make sure it's not set too high, like 150Hz.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the car is at the shop now b/c I found the new HID headlights they put in did not work properly. While they have the car, going to adjust the amp and see if they can get some more bass out of the speakers. If that doesn't do the trick, a sub is looking more and more likely.

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brownsfan019 View Post
    Well the car is at the shop now b/c I found the new HID headlights they put in did not work properly. While they have the car, going to adjust the amp and see if they can get some more bass out of the speakers. If that doesn't do the trick, a sub is looking more and more likely.
    Ask the shop if you can buy the amp and sub and have them install it. Speaking from experience, shops rip you off, even if you think you're getting a good deal. Do some posting around on here to get an idea of what you can get for the money you want to spend. I made the mistake of just listening to the shop and I could have gotten way better equipment for the price I paid. I'm much more educated now though, but dont do what I did back then. Post around on here and do some research.

Another thing.... a custom box designed and built to suit your specific subwoofer model and your listening preferences will be recommended by 100% of users on here, and for only $150 shipped to your door.... it is probably the single best "bang for your buck" item you can buy.

Car audio is addictive... you're only going to want more. Good luck buddy!

quakerroatmeal is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You would have been better off adding a sub+amp with the LOC they ran (assuming they ran a LOC since you kept the stock head-unit).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Ask the shop if you can buy the amp and sub and have them install it. Speaking from experience, shops rip you off, even if you think you're getting a good deal. Do some posting around on here to get an idea of what you can get for the money you want to spend. I made the mistake of just listening to the shop and I could have gotten way better equipment for the price I paid. I'm much more educated now though, but dont do what I did back then. Post around on here and do some research.

Another thing.... a custom box designed and built to suit your specific subwoofer model and your listening preferences will be recommended by 100% of users on here, and for only $150 shipped to your door.... it is probably the single best "bang for your buck" item you can buy.

Car audio is addictive... you're only going to want more. Good luck buddy!
    I wanted to buy my own stuff but they would 'strongly recommended' to buy from them direct... I knew I was probably paying more than getting from Amazon or wherever, but this is my first try w/ a full aftermarket stereo so just went w/ it. Their prices were fair though, I did check around.

+ Reply to Thread