Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Deaden doors even with woofer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deaden doors even with woofer?

So i just bought some new components (Pioneer ts-d1720c) and wondering if i should deaden my doors, i ask this because i am not using much bass if any from the components since i have a sub so is it still a good idea to deaden the doors? I really rather skip that process but also want to get the most out of these components.

Innovative:Cory is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Deaden doors even with woofer?

Yes... if you are going to use aftermarket drivers in a factory location, you should add deadner. If not just keep to the factory speakers.

Refs:

Rhoughton1, Captincheesey,Snoopdan,

Sold to: 1980Supreme, KH971, fatboyracing(couple of times)

Bought from: Brian GT PRO, Aztec

Gonzalez1988 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow its that important that its not even worth me installing the new speakers unless i use the deadener?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

deadener is less important than recreating all of the factory seals. you will notice that the factory speaker, while cheap, has foam seals on both sides of the basket. one seal is obvious, seal to the metal and use something soft and thick to prevent rattles. the second one is neglected and vital to success - the seal between the front of the woofer to the door panel/grill. if you do one thing, it should be weatherstripping foam around front and rear to seal to the door and the door panel.

beyond that, some deadener will help with resonance.
    some bags of fiberglass in the door cavity will help with midrange clarity by absorbing sound inside the door (like putting fill inside a speaker box).

beyond that, sealing the door holes will take a step to give you more midbass response.

regardless if you have a sub, your speakers are what provide bass definition by supporting the bass line harmonics that we hear. if you want music that sounds good, the front speakers are the most important part and should have the most time spent.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

5. Thanks av83 thanked for this post
    Likes Josef344, jeffdachef, OldManBass liked this post
    OldManBass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    deadener is less important than recreating all of the factory seals. you will notice that the factory speaker, while cheap, has foam seals on both sides of the basket. one seal is obvious, seal to the metal and use something soft and thick to prevent rattles. the second one is neglected and vital to success - the seal between the front of the woofer to the door panel/grill. if you do one thing, it should be weatherstripping foam around front and rear to seal to the door and the door panel.

beyond that, some deadener will help with resonance.
    some bags of fiberglass in the door cavity will help with midrange clarity by absorbing sound inside the door (like putting fill inside a speaker box).

beyond that, sealing the door holes will take a step to give you more midbass response.

regardless if you have a sub, your speakers are what provide bass definition by supporting the bass line harmonics that we hear. if you want music that sounds good, the front speakers are the most important part and should have the most time spent.
    Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. That said... he is talking bare minimum. I'd head over to the sound deadener showdown page, do some research, and decide what to do from there.

Installation is a HUGE part of the equation of how your new comps are going to sound. Do it as well as your budget allows... it will cost you once... but your ears will enjoy the results every time you listen to them!

Clarion CZ702, PPI P900.4, PHD FB 6.1 Kit Pro, Digital Designs M2b, two Fi SSD 15"

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

yep. lastly, tweeter placement is also very important. too low and the sound will be low. moving them up to the apillars or dash can help raise the soundstage. aiming is crucial as moving tweeters higher results in more reflections and, in general, reflections are bad. some will aim tweeters at the windshield for all indirect sound - it can work in some instances. just experiment with velcro/tape before you permanently mount the tweeters (do this after the woofers are installed).

crossover location depends on several factors. only put then on the door (dry area just behind the panel) if both woofer and tweeter are on the door (i.e. tweeter in the sail panel).

if the tweeter is on the dash/apillar then locating the crossovers in the cabin is a good idea. you can reuse the factory woofer wiring but you will need new wire for the tweeter. some crossovers require access to adjust level/settings. keep that in mind. a glove box can work well if sized right. or under the seats, or under the dash, etc.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the speakers actually came with seperate wiring for the tweeters and im going to mount the tweeters by the door handle about a foot up from the woofer which is at the bottom of the door panel. Im sorry for the noob questions but i really appreciate the help i wish i could just buy the stuff and pay you to do my install since you know so much. Also is some dynamat good? Im just gonna do the front doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

try moving the tweeters to the dash. i have never been happy with tweeters that low in a door. at a minimum, move them to the sail panels.

yes dynamat or similar products are great for improving front speaker sound. i just did a van with 8 sq. ft. per door.

jar1zx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a fiberglass substitute? That stuff breaks me out. When I was a kid my dad used to build houses and when it came time to run fiberglass...... Well after 1st time I made sure I was long gone lol. I have seen people use it in doors and I can see how that would help

On tweeters I've found I like to place them higher than dash then aim them say driver side tweeter aimed straight at passenger same with right side tweeter aimed straight at driver, kinda in a X. I do the same with rear (4 door truck) for me this has worked better than in door

05 gmc sierra 1500hd quad cab
    Hu pioneer avh-x8500bhs
    Front and rear stage fosgate power two sets t1652-s.
    PPI PC 450..and Audio Art 2100
    Kicker kx2500.1
    One run of stinger 0 gauge with big 3, stinger volt meter ,red top under hood for now
    2 Sundown sd-2 4ohm tens in .8 each sealed
    AppRadio Extensions on Iphone5
    Dc 270xp DC dual alt bracket

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

try moving the tweeters to the dash. i have never been happy with tweeters that low in a door. at a minimum, move them to the sail panels.

yes dynamat or similar products are great for improving front speaker sound. i just did a van with 8 sq. ft. per door.
    Dynamat 10435 12" x 36" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Just ordered this from Amazon for my front doors hope it gets here quick because i wanna install my components already. Was this dynamat kit a good buy? It was expensive (half the price of my components) but the reviews are overwhelmingly good on it so i found it hard to pass up. For what its worth the vehicle involved is a 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jar1zx View Post
    Is there a fiberglass substitute? That stuff breaks me out. When I was a kid my dad used to build houses and when it came time to run fiberglass...... Well after 1st time I made sure I was long gone lol. I have seen people use it in doors and I can see how that would help

On tweeters I've found I like to place them higher than dash then aim them say driver side tweeter aimed straight at passenger same with right side tweeter aimed straight at driver, kinda in a X. I do the same with rear (4 door truck) for me this has worked better than in door
    yes, there is a fiberglass substitute, and readily available at hardware stores
    48 in. x 75 in. UltraTouch Denim Insulation Hot Water Heater Blanket-60301-48752 at The Home Depot

you can get it in a foil wrap like this water heater blanket, or in it's raw form. it's recycled denim and has great sound absorption properties.

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Gonzalez1988;8403969]Dynamat 10435 12" x 36" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Just ordered this from Amazon for my front doors hope it gets here quick because i wanna install my components already. Was this dynamat kit a good buy? It was expensive (half the price of my components) but the reviews are overwhelmingly good on it so i found it hard to pass up. For what its worth the vehicle involved is a 1999 Toyota Corolla.[/QUOTE

cancelandgetaudiotechnixthatsonsale

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzalez1988 View Post
    Dynamat 10435 12" x 36" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Door Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Just ordered this from Amazon for my front doors hope it gets here quick because i wanna install my components already. Was this dynamat kit a good buy? It was expensive (half the price of my components) but the reviews are overwhelmingly good on it so i found it hard to pass up. For what its worth the vehicle involved is a 1999 Toyota Corolla.
    sorry cancel that order and get
    40 Sq ft Audio Technix 60 Mil Sound Deadener Heat Shield Square Feet | eBay

for a couple bucks more you go from 12 sqft of deadenr to 40

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    sorry cancel that order and get
    40 Sq ft Audio Technix 60 Mil Sound Deadener Heat Shield Square Feet | eBay

for a couple bucks more you go from 12 sqft of deadenr to 40
    Why are the reviews so high on it? It cant be that bad BESIDES the price. Btw the amount that comes in the kit i ordered is plenty for my doors, i dont need any extra it'll be just sitting around. I dont intend to go nuts with the stuff in this particular car.

Milk Mayne is offline Doing 160

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yep. lastly, tweeter placement is also very important. too low and the sound will be low. moving them up to the apillars or dash can help raise the soundstage. aiming is crucial as moving tweeters higher results in more reflections and, in general, reflections are bad. some will aim tweeters at the windshield for all indirect sound - it can work in some instances. just experiment with velcro/tape before you permanently mount the tweeters (do this after the woofers are installed).
    You know, in all my installs, I have always neglected the front seal of my mids. I never thought about that before, but it totally makes sense. I've always got weatherstripping, that's something I'm definitely going to do either tonight or this week. Thanks for bringing that to light. You sir, are truly one of the more valuable assets to this board.

17. Thanks keep_hope_alive thanked for this post
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast