Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Reload Thread: 8" midrange in the front?

  1. #1
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    8" midrange in the front?

    Hey, ive been thinking of different ways to set up my front stage.

    So far I have 2x12" subs in the trunk, 2x8"mid-bass in the rear deck, and 6.5 coax in the rear doors.

    I can only have one midrange in the front and I am considering making it an 8" seeing as I have the space. I am also liking this option because 8" midrange can handle more power as well and im looking for good power handling. My only question is whether the 8's will be too muddy in the higher fz before the tweeter takes over, or will it sound fine in the range they will be crossed?(Thinking 5,000 @12db or so)







  2. #2
    logan963's Avatar
    logan963 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Hey, ive been thinking of different ways to set up my front stage.

    So far I have 2x12" subs in the trunk, 2x8"mid-bass in the rear deck, and 6.5 coax in the rear doors.

    I can only have one midrange in the front and I am considering making it an 8" seeing as I have the space. I am also liking this option because 8" midrange can handle more power as well and im looking for good power handling. My only question is whether the 8's will be too muddy in the higher fz before the tweeter takes over, or will it sound fine in the range they will be crossed?(Thinking 5,000 @12db or so)
    If you are going to do that, you need to run a 3-way setup, you will need a dedicated midbass 4' or something close to that size to cover from about 1000-6000hz, trying to play an 8' woofer that high will tear it up




  3. #3
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by logan963 View Post
    If you are going to do that, you need to run a 3-way setup, you will need a dedicated midbass 4' or something close to that size to cover from about 1000-6000hz, trying to play an 8' woofer that high will tear it up
    Did you mean 4" midrange?

    Anyway, it is an 8" midrange that I am looking to install, I already have 8" mid-bass in my rear deck.
    Does anyone have any experience crossing 8" midrange high?




  4. #4
    logan963's Avatar
    logan963 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Did you mean 4" midrange?

    Anyway, it is an 8" midrange that I am looking to install, I already have 8" mid-bass in my rear deck.
    Does anyone have any experience crossing 8" midrange high?
    mid range and midbass are the same thing..




  5. Likes erod liked this post
    Dislikes matt_bennett05 disliked this post
  6. #5
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by logan963 View Post
    mid range and midbass are the same thing..
    Sorry, but please don't offer advice on something you obviously don't fully understand. Yes there is a difference between mid-range and mid-bass.




  7. #6
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by logan963 View Post
    mid range and midbass are the same thing..
    No

    ---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Sorry, but please don't offer advice on something you obviously don't fully understand. Yes there is a difference between mid-range and mid-bass.
    Move the mid bass to the front where it supposed to be.



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  8. #7
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    No

    ---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------



    Move the mid bass to the front where it supposed to be.
    Hmm it would be very difficult the way things are mounted already, its in a Volvo so things are tight and I silicone everything.. also the 8" midbass in the read deck have boxes for them.

    Wouldn't it be better to have the midrange in the front anyway for better blending with the tweeters?




  9. #8
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Any input on the original question would be appreciated.
    If the 8 is a real mid it's fine. Just make sure the freq response is as high as you need. But really.. Move the mid bass to the front.



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  10. #9
    T3mpest's Avatar
    T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    get a pro audio midrange. Look for something with a demodulating ring to control inductance if you don't want it to be muddy, a phase plug would also be nice, but not required by any means. Pyle has an 8 that has both and it's 4ohm and doesn't sound bad at all. If you want to spend a little more then try a B&C driver, they almost all have rings.



    Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.


  11. #10
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Hmm it would be very difficult the way things are mounted already, its in a Volvo so things are tight and I silicone everything.. also the 8" midbass in the read deck have boxes for them.

    Wouldn't it be better to have the midrange in the front anyway for better blending with the tweeters?
    I edited my post after I saw you edited yours lol..




  12. #11
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    get a pro audio midrange. Look for something with a demodulating ring to control inductance if you don't want it to be muddy, a phase plug would also be nice, but not required by any means. Pyle has an 8 that has both and it's 4ohm and doesn't sound bad at all. If you want to spend a little more then try a B&C driver, they almost all have rings.
    oo thanks, ill definitely take a look at B&C.. I am looking for SQ, I hear Pyle isn't the best.




  13. #12
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    I edited my post after I saw you edited yours lol..
    You want 100hz and up in front of you. That's how you get the illusion of up front bass.

    ---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    oo thanks, ill definitely take a look at B&C.. I am looking for SQ, I hear Pyle isn't the best.
    Rainbow has a nice 7 inch mid range.



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  14. #13
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?




    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  15. #14
    Bwap's Avatar
    Bwap is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    You want 100hz and up in front of you. That's how you get the illusion of up front bass.

    ---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------



    Rainbow has a nice 7 inch mid range.
    Hmm I like the look of rainbow they look like good quality.

    Does the fact I have the 8's facing up boxed and the 12's facing forward, sealed off from the trunk help with the illusion of up front bass?




  16. #15
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: 8" midrange in the front?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwap View Post
    Hmm I like the look of rainbow they look like good quality.

    Does the fact I have the 8's facing up boxed and the 12's facing forward, sealed off from the trunk help with the illusion of up front bass?
    No sorry. A good mid bass does not have to be enclosed. A good sealed door or kick pod is what they want. They get punchy and want to act like subs when they are in a box. Where you planning on putting the new 8s in the doors? If so you can seal it up good and put the mid bass there. Put a nice 6.5 in the kick or 3.5 in a pillar pod.



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2-way or 3-way in the front
    By md2o2o in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
  2. (2) sets of components in the front of a coupe??
    By BIGGUP21 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
  3. If I have HcdL in the front what should I do in the back?
    By Geminidj2000 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:36 PM
  4. Can i convert 4" speaker hole in the front to 6.5" from the back?
    By venom107 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 12:27 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2002, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum