Reload Thread: help is appreciated.

stay_high is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help is appreciated.

Recently blew my comp set (id ctx 65cs) and i need replacement speakers. I am a college student with only a part time job so i no longer have the money to spend on car audio. I wana just fix this and be done forever. Im in the process of saving money and will have close to $200 by next week to spend of a set of speakers. (just for front stage i have no rear stage). My only goal is loud and somewhat clear. I dont care about sound imaging/staging and all that. I just want loud mids and highs that are clearly heard over my sub stage. So should i just get a set of coaxials that can take some power or another set of comps or what? I jut dont know what to go with... will be run off a kicker zx550.2 amp.

Head Unit: Clarion cz702
    Mids/Highs: Front - Image Dynamic CXS
    Mids/highs amp: PPi 900.4
    Sub: Fi Q 15 ported
    Sub amp: MB Quart onx1500.1

Subie is offline Premium Member Subie is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: help is appreciated.

Take a look at these CL-6.25 - CDT Audio Classic Series 6.25" frame 2-way component set (WoofersEtc.com - CL-6.25 - CDT Audio Classic Series 6.25" frame 2-way component set). You can use them as coaxials or components.

Head Unit - Pioneer AVH 8400BH, Pioneer Backup camera, Pioneer AVIC-U250 Nav Add-on
    Front Speakers: Morel Tempo 6 Components
    Rear Image: CDT M6 Mid/Subs
    Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W3V3-2, Wicked CAS stealth box
    Amplifier: Alpine PDX 9V
    Sound Deadening: Fat Mat
    Amp kit: StreetWires ZeroNoise 3 ZN3Ki-04

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you blew both woofers and both tweeters? is there anything you can reuse? or did you blow the crossovers and the speakers are fine?

how? that is important to determine so you don't destroy the next set. were your gains set to deliver clipped output? have you since turned your gains down?

$200 isn't going to buy you a pair of high power speakers that will take the abuse you will likely give them.

you will want a speaker with cooling built-in. that comes at a higher price. look in the classifieds section.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

stay_high is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you blew both woofers and both tweeters? is there anything you can reuse? or did you blow the crossovers and the speakers are fine?

how? that is important to determine so you don't destroy the next set. were your gains set to deliver clipped output? have you since turned your gains down?

$200 isn't going to buy you a pair of high power speakers that will take the abuse you will likely give them.

you will want a speaker with cooling built-in. that comes at a higher price. look in the classifieds section.
    Im not sure if its the crossover or the speakers that blew. Havnt had the time to invistagte much yet all i know is that both tweets stopped working at the same time and one of the 6.5s sounds distorted. Gain was close to half way up. I coudnt hear and distortion or nothing. HPF was at 100 hz. No bass boost/loud settings where turned on. I had it that way for about 6 months and all i was fine until one day a couple weeks ago they just blew. HU volume was on 35/50 when they blew.

Head Unit: Clarion cz702
    Mids/Highs: Front - Image Dynamic CXS
    Mids/highs amp: PPi 900.4
    Sub: Fi Q 15 ported
    Sub amp: MB Quart onx1500.1

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crossovers can and do fail. where are they mounted? if they got wet, kiss them goodbye. but that would be good. crossovers are cheaper than new speakers.

time to investigate!

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While you had the ID's did you like them? Because those comps sound super clear and the ratings are so high everywhere i see them that im wondering why you wouldnt just buy the same set again specially considering how they are so affordable.

okiedokie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes cross-over can go bad, but if your tweeters stop working & one mid isn't working while the other one has distortion you could of blown your speakers.
    That amp is rated at 205rms- 14volt per channel.
    You say you the gains a little bit more then halve way up?

How long have you had those speakers?
    If less then a year I would contact Image Dynamic for a warranty service.

If not you could look into a new comp set
    The new JBL should be in your budget.
    Please waste your money on CDT

Closed Thread