+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Advice for Mids

magic8ball88 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Advice for Mids

So I'm looking to upgrade the Bose system in my 2003 Yukon XL. I already have a headunit installed and a modest bass setup (going to be upgrading that soon too but that's another thread another day) and now I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. I want to spend somewhere around $300-500 excluding wiring. I've been looking at getting 6.5 inch Alpine Type S components[/URL] in the front and back (That is assuming the rear doors have a spot for a tweeter, still haven't gotten a definite answer on this) and an Alpine 4 channel amp[/URL] to power it. If I buy all of that from Sonic it comes to $450 but if I buy from Amazon its about $330. Thoughts? I have also been looking at some Rockford Fosgate stuff but it's a little more expensive. Thanks for reading.

I guess I can't post links since I'm new (understandable) but the model numbers are SPS-610C for the speakers and MRX-F35 for the amp that I've been looking at.

Silverado SS is offline Shake Pound and Rattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Advice for Mids

Buy whatever is cheaper but make sure to make sure there not refurbished on amazon. Just about all alpine products are good so you will more than likely be happy but if you want some different options I'm sure some guys can help you out

mylows10 is offline Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

actually the type s components are crap,they sound like shlt ,dont think the fosgates will be much better .try getting convertible components for the rear ,if you want components in the rear doors .id do just mids or coaxes myself

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    actually the type s components are crap,they sound like shlt ,dont think the fosgates will be much better .try getting convertible components for the rear ,if you want components in the rear doors .id do just mids or coaxes myself
    What kind of speakers and amp would you recommend then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magic8ball88 View Post
    What kind of speakers and amp would you recommend then?
    the amp is fine if you like the alpine pdx,the components and speakers are not .there are lots of brands that are better ,take a look at the cdt com 626 set ,als look at phd components , incriminator make a decent set ,also. depends on your budget ,you should be able the mount the tweets in the doors under the grill in the front doors ,the com 626 set has the components and coaxial all in one set

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the amp is fine if you like the alpine pdx,the components and speakers are not .there are lots of brands that are better ,take a look at the cdt com 626 set ,als look at phd components , incriminator make a decent set ,also. depends on your budget ,you should be able the mount the tweets in the doors under the grill in the front doors ,the com 626 set has the components and coaxial all in one set
    This is my first real system and I haven't heard any nice systems before so I don't know what I think of Alpine but they make good looking gear, I've heard good things about them and they're affordable. I think I will go for the alpine amp and I would like to match it with the Alpine speakers too. Thank you for the recommendations but they seem just a little bit out of budget. I would love to go with any of those components though. I think handbuilt speakers would be so cool, but I don't want to spend that much yet. So I should stay away from the Alpine Type S?

Oh and how should I match up the speakers and amp? The speakers are 4 ohm and the amp wouldn't power the speakers to their full RMS that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

This is my first real system and I haven't heard any nice systems before so I don't know what I think of Alpine but they make good looking gear, I've heard good things about them and they're affordable. I think I will go for the alpine amp and I would like to match it with the Alpine speakers too. Thank you for the recommendations but they seem just a little bit out of budget. I would love to go with any of those components though. I think handbuilt speakers would be so cool, but I don't want to spend that much yet. So I should stay away from the Alpine Type S?

Oh and how should I match up the speakers and amp? The speakers are 4 ohm and the amp wouldn't power the speakers to their full RMS that way.
    stick with the 4 ohm speakers ,also i wouldnt worry so much about rear speakers as they should only be for fill anyway ,spend more on the fronts .you could actually do a 2 channel just for the doors and run the rears off the deck.would sound better and it will free up more $ for better components

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

stick with the 4 ohm speakers ,also i wouldnt worry so much about rear speakers as they should only be for fill anyway ,spend more on the fronts .you could actually do a 2 channel just for the doors and run the rears off the deck.would sound better and it will free up more $ for better components
    I would like to go with components in the rear just to match. I've heard a lot of people say that they aren't necessary though so maybe I will just go with coaxial. I don't expect you to know this since I don't know what you drive, but do you know what kind of speaker cut outs I have in the rear doors? I can't find a definite answer online and I haven't popped the door panel off yet to check.

Thank you for all the help by the way.

Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

First off, alpine type s new style speakers do not sound horrible, they sound fine for the money. For a good budget option look into jbl gto or ms62c, ia is a good set, image dynamics ctx line, hertz hi energy, focal 6a series. Plenty out there!

welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

I would like to go with components in the rear just to match. I've heard a lot of people say that they aren't necessary though so maybe I will just go with coaxial. I don't expect you to know this since I don't know what you drive, but do you know what kind of speaker cut outs I have in the rear doors? I can't find a definite answer online and I haven't popped the door panel off yet to check.

Thank you for all the help by the way.
    6.5 rear doors

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider4eva View Post
    First off, alpine type s new style speakers do not sound horrible, they sound fine for the money. For a good budget option look into jbl gto or ms62c, ia is a good set, image dynamics ctx line, hertz hi energy, focal 6a series. Plenty out there!
    Awesome will do. Thank you!
    6.5 rear doors
    With a tweeter or no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Awesome will do. Thank you!

With a tweeter or no?
    either just a mid or a coaxil only

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

either just a mid or a coaxil only
    Okay thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Okay thanks.
    np

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

+ Reply to Thread