Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Good component speakers on HU power?

spuloo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good component speakers on HU power?

Hey guys. I have a new pioneer HU running 14 watts RMS per channel. My power budget doesn't really allow me to do a separate amp because I'm running underdrive pulleys that limit me to about what my sub amp puts out plus the HU's max power.

So I have no plans to amp the front and rear ever. Is there a decent low power component set you might recommend for the front? Got a 6-3/4" hole there and a 6x9 spot in the rear deck. I could do up to $200 per pair.

Thanks

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Good component speakers on HU power?

Look for the highest db sensitivity rating you can find. I've used JBL's that were 92db and they did well off HU power...

Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Take off the under drive pulleys or get an overdrive alt pulley...

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus
    Pioneer 80PRS (3 way active)/(Walled) (2) DC lvl3 18's/AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)PPA mids/(4) PH25 tweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/102AH Batt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get the alpine ktp-445u amp its a small amp that connects to your radio and you dont have to run any wires nor even run a power wire to your battery. I have it and it puts out some good power for my interior speakers and best of all it only cost me $100 brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So instead of spending $400 on speakers spend $100 on the Alpine ktp-445u and another $150 on a component set and you will have a nice AMPED front stage for $250 maybe even less. Components are useless if they arent amped, might aswell pay half the price and buy coaxials if you arent gonna send the components atleast 50 watts.

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

still better off getting a small power amp that puts out 50rms with little amp pull

US Acoustics USX 4065 | eBay
    amazing little amp with only 20 amp of fuses just like your headunit will sound a million times better than the headunit

US Acoustics USX 2080 | eBay
    even better off getting a 2 channel run the front off the headunit and get comps for the rears

do not waste your time running components off headunit.

if i was you get the 2 channel us acoustic i have one its amazing designed by zed audio

US Acoustics USX 2080 | eBay
    for the fronts

JBL P660C Power 6.5" Components
    CTX65CS Image Dynamics New 6 5" Pro Component Speakers | eBay
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C
    or if you want to go 3 way these are amazing for the deal
    Amazon.com: I65C Incriminator Audio 6.5" 85W RMS Component Speaker System: Car Electronics

for the rears get a nice high effeciency coaxil for rear fill to run off headunit

T3 Audio T69C 6" x 9" Coaxial Speaker Pair 269-096
    Cadence CVLS69 6x9 600 Watt Competition 3 Way Speakers Crossovers 70 oz Magnets | eBay
    if you go with the 4 channel amp these speakers are basically unbeatable in midbass. amazing speakers for rear fill

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Amazon.com: Incriminator Audio I Series 6x9 Coaxials: Car Electronics

also nice pair of rear fill coaxils if going with 2 channel

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestions. This should be more than enough for me to sift through.

I won't be taking off the pulleys. This car's primary purpose is a high efficiency eco driver. I get 55 to 60 mpg and it's not a hybrid.

I'm looking for a much better sound than stock by upgrading the HU and to very good low wattage speakers and I figure there should be some out there. I'm sure you guys have set me up for success. I'll let you know what I go with.

Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ahhh. Gotcha. What car? I

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus
    Pioneer 80PRS (3 way active)/(Walled) (2) DC lvl3 18's/AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)PPA mids/(4) PH25 tweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/102AH Batt

BrownVanMan is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

yeah what car and even a low power 4 ch will help with SQ i know directed had a 4 ch that did like 25 watts per ch and was fused at 25 amps, you should see much if any pull at that point. plus then you have much better sounding equipment while saving power draw and weight

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's an 04 corolla I had to rebuild, and I put in some 12:1 pistons for better overall efficiency, lightwieght pulleys flywheel and crank, and one of those AEM water/methanol kits which lowers overalltemps (among other things) allowing you to tune to the most efficient fuel levels, where all of it is burned.

Most cars run rich. The cooling of the excess liquid fuel (even "atomized") keeps temps low enough to stop detonation. There are other mods. I took off the side views and mounted little convex ones on the frame internal, full underpan, lowered to reduce drag, wiper removal, higher top drive gear... Basically everything I can do to it so far.

I've got a welder friend who wants to help me chop the top to get it lower for aerodynamics. Seems a little overboard because of how expensive it normally is, but I'm not off to the idea of a friend being like "let me see what I can do." He's not an amateur, and it's not my primary vehicle, so it could be out of service for a little bit.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll have to start getting technical. I think a 100Watt (25Wx4 or 50Wx2 for front components) amp would work. I wouldn't count on anything more than that though unless I whipped out the old multimeter and figured out exactly how far I can go somehow. I don't want to start getting into an area where my battery is at its limits.
    Last edited by spuloo; 04-25-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Subie is offline Premium Member Subie is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would get a pair of high efficiency above 90db coax speakers and all it a day.

Head Unit - Pioneer AVH 8400BH, Pioneer Backup camera, Pioneer AVIC-U250 Nav Add-on
    Front Speakers: Morel Tempo 6 Components
    Rear Image: CDT M6 Mid/Subs
    Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W3V3-2, Wicked CAS stealth box
    Amplifier: Alpine PDX 9V
    Sound Deadening: Fat Mat
    Amp kit: StreetWires ZeroNoise 3 ZN3Ki-04

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Look for the highest db sensitivity rating you can find.
    These are gamed a lot, and can't be verified without a formal test. At best, they should be ignored.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spuloo View Post
    Hey guys. I have a new pioneer HU running 14 watts RMS per channel. My power budget doesn't really allow me to do a separate amp because I'm running underdrive pulleys that limit me to about what my sub amp puts out plus the HU's max power.
    I honestly didn't get this part.. a speaker amplifier will use a fraction of what a subwoofer amplifier will use (when driven hard), so I don't see how your pulleys are a limitation of any kind. In any case, you will probably find that almost _any_ speaker will get loud on head unit power. The issue is with distortion. With a dedicated amplifier you know you shouldn't hear any amplifier generated distortion. With head unit power, the signal can easily get distorted before it is converted into a mechanical wave. A discerning ear will identify that something is off. In any case, if you want speaker with good sensitivity, consider Morel Maximo. A lot of people said they take very little power. Of course, they would still benefit from a good amplifier.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast