Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Good component speakers on HU power?

spuloo is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Good component speakers on HU power?

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    I honestly didn't get this part.. a speaker amplifier will use a fraction of what a subwoofer amplifier will use (when driven hard), so I don't see how your pulleys are a limitation of any kind. In any case, you will probably find that almost _any_ speaker will get loud on head unit power. The issue is with distortion. With a dedicated amplifier you know you shouldn't hear any amplifier generated distortion. With head unit power, the signal can easily get distorted before it is converted into a mechanical wave. A discerning ear will identify that something is off. In any case, if you want speaker with good sensitivity, consider Morel Maximo. A lot of people said they take very little power. Of course, they would still benefit from a good amplifier.
    The underdrive pulleys turn the alternator slower and you get a lower charge. That means less power than before. Sub amp is 350W rms, and the head unit uses as much as 150W drawing as much as 1 amp (or so says the tech specs). I guess that's not all the time, so we'll see. I might pick up an amp that runs 50W x 4 used or something, and if it doesn't work out electrically, I could do something smaller for the fronts, I suppose. I do like what I'm reading about those maximos.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Good component speakers on HU power?

Quote Originally Posted by spuloo View Post
    The underdrive pulleys turn the alternator slower and you get a lower charge. That means less power than before. Sub amp is 350W rms, and the head unit uses as much as 150W drawing as much as 1 amp (or so says the tech specs). I guess that's not all the time, so we'll see. I might pick up an amp that runs 50W x 4 used or something, and if it doesn't work out electrically, I could do something smaller for the fronts, I suppose. I do like what I'm reading about those maximos.

If you need to run 350watts to a sub stage, you could get away with an efficient 5-channel Class D amplifier, such as Alpine MRX-V70 or Polk D5000.5. Most of the time, they won't need to see even 50amps of current. Class D amplification is fairly efficient, and don't need that much current to play loud. A lot of alternators give you easily +100amps of current. Even with slower pulleys, what you lose due to slower pulley speed is not a big deal. Don't also forget the batteries. They're a great and still the most important source of current you have.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2