Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Speaker power handling- is it important?

alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

Speaker power handling- is it important?

I have a set of 6.5 Memphis M-class up front, and a 6x9 set in the rear. They're 50 watts rms at 4 ohms, and I'm thinking of picking up a RF 2 channel that does 200@2. I know the speakers would be handling double the power, but I've never really messed with speakers much, and was wondering if the power handling on them is extremely important. Any help would be great!

Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8, 2002XLT

Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2), big scott, bad @SS chevy

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

Re: Speaker power handling- is it important?

bump. anybody?

Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8, 2002XLT

Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2), big scott, bad @SS chevy

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alec14 View Post
    I have a set of 6.5 Memphis M-class up front, and a 6x9 set in the rear. They're 50 watts rms at 4 ohms, and I'm thinking of picking up a RF 2 channel that does 200@2. I know the speakers would be handling double the power, but I've never really messed with speakers much, and was wondering if the power handling on them is extremely important. Any help would be great!
    You don't have to run 200W to them. It's not a switch, 200W or 0W, an amp is a very variable, dynamic, piece of gear. You can either turn the level down for those channels on your head unit, or when you tune gains, just tune them for 60W or something like that. It's never bad to have headroom. Just be smart and recognize when you are approaching the limits of the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    You don't have to run 200W to them. It's not a switch, 200W or 0W, an amp is a very variable, dynamic, piece of gear. You can either turn the level down for those channels on your head unit, or when you tune gains, just tune them for 60W or something like that. It's never bad to have headroom. Just be smart and recognize when you are approaching the limits of the speakers.
    Okay, thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear, lol

Kingstroker is offline Mr Dique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

Work/energy produces heat. Some claim their speakers can do twice the rating and they probably can for a limited amount of time but then after a while of overheating the voice coil it fails. Easy on the gains and volume and you will be good

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke
    Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ
    Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"
    Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods
    Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's
    Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstroker View Post
    Work/energy produces heat. Some claim their speakers can do twice the rating and they probably can for a limited amount of time but then after a while of overheating the voice coil it fails. Easy on the gains and volume and you will be good
    Okay, good to know. Right now they're being powered by an old school Pioneer 4 channel, and I was just looking to give em a bit more power.

FamousMassacre is offline Team Tantric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

What gckless said is true for subs too. You can have a 5k amp and make it only give out 1000rms.

-Team Tantric Sounds-
    -Team Ampere Audio-
    Subs: 4 Tantric MD 15"s - 17sqft 34hz
    Amp: Banda ICE 3500

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
    What gckless said is true for subs too. You can have a 5k amp and make it only give out 1000rms.
    Okay, good to know. Thanks

Closed Thread