Closed Thread

Reload Thread: MB Quart qs216?

Tyler285 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MB Quart qs216?

I am thinking about buying some mb quart qs216 components. I found them for around $260. Are these good speakers for the money or are there other options I should be looking at in the $260 or less price range? Also what amp would work good with these speakers. Thanks for your help.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: MB Quart qs216?

Here is some background information. I have an 07 tahoe with an alpine ine s920hd head unit, jl 12w3 subwoofer powered by an alpine mrp m500 amp. My budget for front door speakers and an amp is $500, I could go up a little bit if I had too. My goal is to get some good sq components. I am open to any brands. I was interested in focals, but I feel like they might be overpriced for what you get. Thanks for your help.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There was a review of MB Quart QS components on pasmag. They got good review, but beware that pasmag seems to give good marks to every piece of hardware they receive.. so I'd take it with a grain of salt. The sound was described as "clinical", whatever that means. JBLs MS-62C components have been getting pretty good reviews, so you may want to check them out. I really like the sound of Hybrid Audio Imagine, which may be in your price range, but they need to run with "active" crossover to sound best if you install the tweeter separately from the woofer. HAT Unity may be better as they use a more sophisticated passive crossover setup.

I haven't heard Focals, but their Polyglass speakers, like PS 165, seem similar to Hybrid Audio speakers in design of the woofers. In both cases a woofer cone made with processed paper material is expected to play into hih upper mid-range frequencies (much higher than say carbon or metal woofers). The tweeters are different. The HAT tweeters are silk. The HAT tweeters sound smooth if you high pass them really high, like 5KHz or higher. The Focals are metal dome. People seem to have love or hate relationship with them. The interesting thing about PS 165 (the cheapest Polyglass speaker right now it seems) is that you can run them in bi-amp mode with stock crossovers. I heard Focal speakers are sold much cheaper in Europe, so if you ever visit France it may be a good idea to buy a set of higher end Focal speakers. I wouldn't discount all metal tweeters as "bad". I heard briefly the Seas Neo Aluminum tweeters. I thought they were detailed and smooth.

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I put 2 sets of MB Quart ONX216 components into my Dodge Nitro. I'm runing them with the MB Quart REF 4.50 and couldn't be happier for a component sound system installed for under $250. I'm sure the QS216's are much better.

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Dealt with audiobahn, sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: C2 Audio Threatcon 4 V1 12"
    Wire/Battery: SHCA 1/0 OFC--Shuriken BT-80 and Shuriken BT-35
    Alternator: Mechman 320 amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if I did end up doing an active set up what crossover would I need in order to use with the subwoofer, woofers and tweeters? I guess I would need to use a 4 channel amp too?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jasonbillnelson, where did you buy your speakers?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    People seem to have love or hate relationship with them. The interesting thing about PS 165 (the cheapest Polyglass speaker right now it seems) is that you can run them in bi-amp mode with stock crossovers.
    What is the advantage if bi-amp and how many watts would you want to send to the woofers and tweeters?

Closed Thread