Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Amplifying tweets AND mids?

PapaGeno21 is offline Captain Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Amplifying tweets AND mids?

Ok guys, here is where I am a bit confused. I am going to try and keep this short and sweet without writing a book.

I have 4 sets of component speakers. Each in their own door. I have a 4 channel amp that powers each set.

For you people running say the FT1 super tweets and then lets go ith the PWX speakers for the mids, I don't understand how that works.

Are the tweets on their own channel, and then you have two midbass speakers on the other? IF that is the case, that would only be for my front doors. What about my rears?

Or are you guys running say the 4 channel amp to power the tweets and the mids, then you run rear doors off the deck?

No rear doors at all?

Just a little confused on how this is done. I am assuming you need to run the tweets on their own channel, unless you can buy a crossover box somewhere that would be like buying a component set form a company? Like you get the PWX as the mid, the FT1 as the high, and then some sort of crossover and then that all goes on one channel?

Yeah, I am a bit lost. Just looking at the PWX's and FT1's and not sure exactly how I would incorporate all 4 doors or if I am not going to do the rears etc...

Team Tantric
    | Pioneer | DC Audio | Tantric | Crescendo | XS Power | SHCA & Knu | CDT | DC Power |

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

Re: Amplifying tweets AND mids?

Depends on if you are running active or passive.

Active, one driver location per channel. So, each side tweeter their own channel, each side mid their own channel. This would go crossover -> amp -> driver(s). If you are running two mids in each door, then you can run them on one channel. If running active, then you would need a processor somewhere. That processor's capabilities would determine if you could run rears or not.

Passive, then you could run each side door on one channel. It would go amp -> crossover -> drivers. So here, a 4 channel would power both front and rear doors.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

you can run more than one speaker per channel ...im running a ppibk800.4 with 4 6.5 bridged on the rear channels and 2 tweets bridged on the front channels..u might be able to get away with running the tweets on hu power..not sure if that answered ur question fron what i got out of.it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Ok I believe I am running passive? The only crossovers I have are on the deck and the amp?

For me its..

Deck - Amp - Speakers

So I am still confused as how would I combine the FT1 with a Mid speaker and run that on one channel?

Team Tantric
    | Pioneer | DC Audio | Tantric | Crescendo | XS Power | SHCA & Knu | CDT | DC Power |

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Depends on if you are running active or passive.

Active, one driver location per channel. So, each side tweeter their own channel, each side mid their own channel. This would go crossover -> amp -> driver(s). If you are running two mids in each door, then you can run them on one channel. If running active, then you would need a processor somewhere. That processor's capabilities would determine if you could run rears or not.

Passive, then you could run each side door on one channel. It would go amp -> crossover -> drivers. So here, a 4 channel would power both front and rear doors.
    this ^^ i wasnt really sure what he was asking so i kept it simple

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGeno21 View Post
    Ok I believe I am running passive? The only crossovers I have are on the deck and the amp?

For me its..

Deck - Amp - Speakers

So I am still confused as how would I combine the FT1 with a Mid speaker and run that on one channel?
    if u have no extra crossovers thats active

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

For me its..

Deck - Amp - Speakers

you cant run a mid.and tweet active on the same channel because theycneed to be crossed at different freq.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Double post

Team Tantric

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

That is where I am confused. SO I would need to run the tweets on one channel that way I can set their crossovers different than the mids. So I would run the mids on the other channel...

SO would I do this if it was a 4 channel amp?

Tweets on first/second channel, they would be in the front left and right doors.

6.5" Mids in the 3rd/4th channel. They would be wired in parallel or series whatever gives me the right ohm load but there would be two 6.5's per channel so channel 3 has two of them on the left side each doing a door and same for the right side on the 4th channel?

I am assuming I would just have to turn the gains down significantly for the 1/2 channel as to not blow the crap out of my tweets?

Team Tantric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

yes u can do that or run passive or u can run the tweets on channels 1+2 and. 2 front mids on 3+4 + rears off hu power

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

That is where I am confused. SO I would need to run the tweets on one channel that way I can set their crossovers different than the mids. So I would run the mids on the other channel...

SO would I do this if it was a 4 channel amp?

Tweets on first/second channel, they would be in the front left and right doors.

6.5" Mids in the 3rd/4th channel. They would be wired in parallel or series whatever gives me the right ohm load but there would be two 6.5's per channel so channel 3 has two of them on the left side each doing a door and same for the right side on the 4th channel?

I am assuming I would just have to turn the gains down significantly for the 1/2 channel as to not blow the crap out of my tweets?
    Yep, that's right. Just know how to set your gains and what your drivers/amp ratings are.

Edit: You are active btw. Do you know where you are crossed at on each right now?

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

if those tweets are anything like the aq supertweets thy do not need muh power to get really loud like 25-30 rms

av83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

read, read, read. There's a buttload of info about how to run active and what it means around this site, but start there^.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    Active vs. Passive: An attempt by me to explain

read, read, read. There's a buttload of info about how to run active and what it means around this site, but start there^.

OK according to that I am Passive, as my amp powers my component sets but they have a crossover right before the speakers.

So for all my doors its

Deck --> Amp --> Crossover --> Mids/Tweets

But I would be active if I remove that crossover and use separate mids and highs with the 4 channel amp?

Team Tantric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)

OK according to that I am Passive, as my amp powers my component sets but they have a crossover right before the speakers.

So for all my doors its

But I would be active if I remove that crossover and use separate mids and highs with the 4 channel amp?
    Not what you said before man lol. But yes, if you removed them then its active. But you don't need another set of comps, you can still use the ones you have, just without the crossover in the middle. Or you can use the 4 channel and run passive and power front and rear.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

nvm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amplifying tweets AND mids?-passive-active-crossover.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

av83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

So for all my doors its

If you remove the crossover, you will need a processor, or headunit, that can provide you with a signal that is both below(for the mids) and above(for the tweeters) the crossover point desired for each.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast