Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Reload Thread: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

  1. #1
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    I went to the shop the other day to narrow down my components. I fell in love with the midbass and overall clarity from the Hertz MLK 2 TW, I just did not budget for $1000 components up front. Is there anything out there that can even compare to these speakers at a cheaper price? My budget is about $500, I'm willing to go a couple hundred in either direction.

    The rest of my system is still a work in progress as well:
    Sony MEX gs600bt in dash with Nexus 7 tablet molded in front

    Amps I'm considering:
    Jl hd900/5
    ZED leviathan III
    Hertz hdp5

    Sub I'm considering (finally finished my glass box, came out to .85 cu ft):
    Sundown SA 10
    IDQv3 10
    DCON 10

    Installing in a 2012 Ram Crew Cab

    Feel free to comment on the rest of the system if you like but I'm really curious about anything that can compare to the MLK 2 TW at a little bit cheaper price.

    Thanks!







  2. #2
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    No input at all?




  3. #3
    rvpps2rocks's Avatar
    rvpps2rocks is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    im def interested. Are you stuck with the sony interface? Was recently looking to having just the Nexus 7 with a USB DAC but keeping my options ope



    eD NINe.1
    2 Planet Audio BB12dvc

  4. #4
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by rvpps2rocks View Post
    im def interested. Are you stuck with the sony interface? Was recently looking to having just the Nexus 7 with a USB DAC but keeping my options ope
    Not really stuck with the sony but after a TON research and tossing around different ideas, I thought it was my best option for what I wanted. I thought about everything from the USB DAC to a parot bluetooth unit. I wanted bluetooth and I wanted to have control with some type of eq without having to spend hundreds on a bit one/ten so the headunit does all of that for me for cheap. Got it on sale for $150. The headunit is mounted behind the tablet so anytime the tablet isn't there I still have a radio with bluetooth in the truck. When I do have the tablet in, I can control everything on the headunit from the sony app. I also have the remote with an IR repeater installed, I just like the flexibility that I have with having a headunit behind the tablet. I'll post some pics here this weekend for you to checkout.

    I pulled the trigger on all my speakers, just got some "place holders" for now. I went with a Sundown Audio SA-10, SA-6.5CS components and the Alpine PDX-V9 amp. I'm installing all of it on Saturday so i'll let you know how it turns out.

    I don't think there's anything out there that compares to the MLK for a cheaper price so I'm putting all of this in until I have some Hertz type money in the bank ha.




  5. #5
    marc2112's Avatar
    marc2112 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Lots of great choices right here and prices are negotiable.


    New JBL GTI 6.5 inch speakers

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speak...stem-*new.html




  6. #6
    murph's Avatar
    murph is online now Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Too bad you went from interest in nice sq to an average choice. You could have gone with are recent vendor Phd and gotten speakers half the price that sound equal if not better. The sub choice is fine but, the Idq would have been the best sounding followed by the Dcon...



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  7. #7
    marc2112's Avatar
    marc2112 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Too bad you went from interest in nice sq to an average choice. You could have gone with are recent vendor Phd and gotten speakers half the price that sound equal if not better. The sub choice is fine but, the Idq would have been the best sounding followed by the Dcon...
    Probably less average than Eclipse speakers.




  8. #8
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Too bad you went from interest in nice sq to an average choice. You could have gone with are recent vendor Phd and gotten speakers half the price that sound equal if not better. The sub choice is fine but, the Idq would have been the best sounding followed by the Dcon...
    hahaha crap now you have me going back to the drawing board. I got really anxious and the 21 days for the build of the DCON threw me off. I was afraid the IDQ wouldn't be enough for me. I'm going for SQ but I do want a little bump if I decide to turn it up. Well the good thing is I haven't even touched the Sundown stuff and it can be returned. I think I may return the SA-10 for the DCON and just wait the 20ish days or whatever it takes. The DCON is a better fit for my box and amp, I should have just stuck with it in the first place.




  9. #9
    murph's Avatar
    murph is online now Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by marc2112 View Post
    Probably less average than Eclipse speakers.
    If you are dissing my gear you must be mistaken. The speakers I have although aren't anything great they are above average. @whitedragon551 ; could tell you. I am going with much higher end speakers in the near future anyways.



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  10. #10
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Ok after seeing those two, it's official that at least the sundown 6.5's are going back. I guess getting anxious and drinking while shopping online isn't a very good idea ha.

    Would you put those in the same boat as the hsk's? I think the hsk sounds great but I love the the midbass and how clear the MLK's are.




  11. #11
    murph's Avatar
    murph is online now Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    hahaha crap now you have me going back to the drawing board. I got really anxious and the 21 days for the build of the DCON threw me off. I was afraid the IDQ wouldn't be enough for me. I'm going for SQ but I do want a little bump if I decide to turn it up. Well the good thing is I haven't even touched the Sundown stuff and it can be returned. I think I may return the SA-10 for the DCON and just wait the 20ish days or whatever it takes. The DCON is a better fit for my box and amp, I should have just stuck with it in the first place.
    The Dcon isn't going to get as loud as the sa10 but, will be more sq oriented. I would personally go with the Idqv3 it will be louder than the Dcon and sound better. If you want I nice sq oriented driver in that range this is also nice. Arc AudioARC 10



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  12. #12
    marc2112's Avatar
    marc2112 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    If you are dissing my gear you must be mistaken. The speakers I have although aren't anything great they are above average. @whitedragon551 ; could tell you. I am going with much higher end speakers in the near future anyways.
    Not dissing just confused... you don't seem to have any experience with the phds or the mlks.




  13. #13
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    The Dcon isn't going to get as loud as the sa10 but, will be more sq oriented. I would personally go with the Idqv3 it will be louder than the Dcon and sound better. If you want I nice sq oriented driver in that range this is also nice. Arc AudioARC 10
    Oh ok cool, I was definitely worried about the IDQ not being loud enough so that's good to know. Thanks for the info, I think I'll definitely go back to the drawing board and do it right the first time.




  14. #14
    murph's Avatar
    murph is online now Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by marc2112 View Post
    Not dissing just confused... you don't seem to have any experience with the phds or the mlks.
    I haven't used Phd yet but, from a quality stand point plus research done I believe they can beat out the Mlk's for less. The Millie's would be a different monster though because they are quite the excellent speakers. I don't mean to piss off a fellow Hertz fan/nuthugger but, I am not a fan of most of their products. I have heard many setups at a NOVA show that had all the different MLK series in them and was not a fan.



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  15. #15
    Bru's Avatar
    Bru
    Bru is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hertz MLK 2 TW help needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    I haven't used Phd yet but, from a quality stand point plus research done I believe they can beat out the Mlk's for less. The Millie's would be a different monster though because they are quite the excellent speakers. I don't mean to piss off a fellow Hertz fan/nuthugger but, I am not a fan of most of their products. I have heard many setups at a NOVA show that had all the different MLK series in them and was not a fan.
    Which PHD's were you recommending? I'm not familiar with them at all. I'm checking out their site and they have a quite a few. I'm having a local shop put them in so I would be fine runing active or passive.




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hertz MLK - Need to cut panels....help!
    By mannyahles in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
  2. help needed for wiring, please!!!!!!!
    By Snapnakk in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 11:25 PM
  3. Tube Sub Help Needed !!!
    By jrivera666 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2002, 11:04 AM
  4. help needed on 12dvc 1000w American pro
    By kevinsonic in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2001, 05:58 PM
  5. somebody help....need some opinons
    By quoiry in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2001, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum