Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Looking for an opinion on speakers (and ultimately amp combo).

thesethguy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking for an opinion on speakers (and ultimately amp combo).

So, to say the least, it's been about 7 years since I've touched or even thought about aftermarket car audio.

It's time to install a nice system though, and I'm undecided on speakers.

To start, I hope to use an old amp I have been keeping in storage (tested and still works). It's an Infinity Reference 7540a, approx 110w RMS per channel.

I want to hook it up to 6.5's all around or 6.5's + 6x9 rear (all 2-ways). My budget is roughly $200-$300 for the speakers themselves, and I'll be getting a monoblock amp and sub outside of that budget. The goal is SQ.

At the moment, I have picked out either the Focal CVX line of speakers or the Infinity Kappa's. They are only slightly different in price $110-$150 (SonicElectronix) and from what I've read on these forums, quite a few people highly recommend Focal. So I'm leaning towards Focal at the moment, but if anyone has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

My other question is, will the speakers be able to adequately handle the ~110w that the Infinity puts out, or would they have a difficult time? Would it be wise to look into other amp options?

Thanks!
    Seth
    Last edited by thesethguy; 01-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: Looking for an opinion on speakers (and ultimately amp combo).

I highly recommend these for front stage,as I myself have, on an old school Autotek Mean Machine 99 at the moment, and they sound fantastic
    WoofersEtc.com - HD-63it - CDT Audio HD-6.5" 2-Way Braxial Component Set
    Though, not knowing your maximum budget for both sets of speakers, these may be out of your price range?

3. Thanks thesethguy thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    I highly recommend these for front stage,as I myself have, on an old school Autotek Mean Machine 99 at the moment, and they sound fantastic
    WoofersEtc.com - HD-63it - CDT Audio HD-6.5" 2-Way Braxial Component Set
    Though, not knowing your maximum budget for both sets of speakers, these may be out of your price range?
    lol, yeah... those are definitely out of my price range. I wish I could get those though.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thesethguy View Post
    lol, yeah... those are definitely out of my price range. I wish I could get those though.
    What is your max budget for upfront components?Rearfill/6x9?JBL make some very nice speakers,as well as Polk for the money

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Most massive comp sets are decent from what I've heard.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

7. Thanks thesethguy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Most massive comp sets are decent from what I've heard.
    The high end models are nice/fair, but the lowerend are not worth the money, as I have tried both, and was not pleased with them at all..Ive tried several different brands of components, and ended with CDT.Image Dynamics are a great set for the money
    Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers
    I dont recommend Massive

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your max budget for upfront components?Rearfill/6x9?JBL make some very nice speakers,as well as Polk for the money
    If it would be more practical to just skip the rear stage and only get a front stage component set, then I could work with it up to $300.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

JBL P660C 6-1/2" 2-way Power Series Component Speakers System
    I put two sets of these in a friends 05 ford double cab, on an old school Hifonics Viii Jupiter, and they sounded fantastic for the money

11. Likes Slayerx liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

If it would be more practical to just skip the rear stage and only get a front stage component set, then I could work with it up to $300.
    front stage would be where I suggest to spend the most amount of money on,and get the best you can for your money,and not so much on the rearfill,as it may overwhelm the front stage,even with the substage running at the same time.Even though, I do recommend rearfill for Imaging,as I run myself in an xcab chevy,at low volume,and amped,it does make a big difference in my opinion, and I do recommend having,at least a midrage level of sound,to give you that over all surround imaging

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

front stage would be where I suggest to spend the most amount of money on,and get the best you can for your money,and not so much on the rearfill,as it may overwhelm the front stage,even with the substage running at the same time.Even though, I do recommend rearfill for Imaging,as I run myself in an xcab chevy,at low volume,and amped,it does make a big difference in my opinion, and I do recommend having,at least a midrage level of sound,to give you that over all surround imaging
    Interesting, thank you.

Now if I do decide to go the coaxial route (because I'm not too sure the wife will want me mounting tweeters up front) do you have any suggestions? I'm afraid to put too much rms to each speaker if they're rated around 60-80w. Does it really matter if it's a quality speaker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Rearfill doesnt have to be expensive..these go down to 45htz even, and are not expensive..You will not need that 100watts to push them, maybe only 30-50 watts to keep up tha imaging,as you tune everything in the way you like it?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERBASS-S-...item19d10290c0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Interesting, thank you.

Now if I do decide to go the coaxial route (because I'm not too sure the wife will want me mounting tweeters up front) do you have any suggestions? I'm afraid to put too much rms to each speaker if they're rated around 60-80w. Does it really matter if it's a quality speaker?
    I highly recommend component for running up front, as you generally can find better selection of speakers,as well as power handiling,and sound quality as well,as imaging

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

you can always do the cdt cl 61 cv ,its a convertible component set that can be mounted like a coaxial .

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

17. Thanks thesethguy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

As for a two way speaker, Im running these up front at the moment in my 99 honda CRv and on headunit power, yet, have had them on 60 rms of power, and sound fantastic for the money
    Polk Audio DB651 2 Way 6 5" 200 Watts Marine Car Audio Speakers 047192112784 | eBay
    Not bad for the money,decent sounding speakers,especially with a little bit of amplified power 30-60 rms even

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    you can always do the cdt cl 61 cv ,its a convertible component set that can be mounted like a coaxial .
    I have the CL-60 series, and they sound amazing..Anything that CDT make, sound excellent..not from word of mouth, but from experiencing,and these that mr mylows suggest, give you two options, to run as a coaxial, and component set

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast