Closed Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Reload Thread: Possibly blow speaker?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Fl
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon8 Possibly blow speaker?

    I had a post before about my speakers making crackling noise and that I think it was due to a bad amp. I got a new head unit (Pioneer 80prs) kicker and monster rca cables and got a new 2 channel amp for the two back speakers (Fosgate t400-2) the back speakers are cdt hd 690 cf's. I've been suggest it to be a bad ground, voltage drop, bad amp, but I don't think it's any of those, the voltage stays constant at around 13.8-14.0 volts. I think it could be that the speakers are blown, though i've never played them over powered. when I first got them I forgot to turn the setting to high pass and played it and it made a popping sound from the cone bottoming out. Which I think is why it does that (oops) anyone have any input or would they agree with me?







  2. #2
    Callingindogs's Avatar
    Callingindogs is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Fl
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Anyone?




  3. #3
    Callingindogs's Avatar
    Callingindogs is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Fl
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    bump




  4. #4
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Push on it. Does it make a scratchy sound?




  5. #5
    Below20hzonly's Avatar
    Below20hzonly is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Grand Forks, MN
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    sounds like you might have blew it when you didnt have the HPF on but, try hooking it up to another receiver, like in your house and see if it still makes that noise.



    Pioneer 80prs
    Image dynamics xs65 comps
    JL audio w6v.2 12"
    Elemental designs nine.2x
    Alpine mrp m1000
    Audio technix deadner, mlv
    Knu and monster wiring
    1.75net tuned~34hz

  6. #6
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by Below20hzonly View Post
    sounds like you might have blew it when you didnt have the HPF on but, try hooking it up to another receiver, like in your house and see if it still makes that noise.
    It's safe to do that?




  7. #7
    Below20hzonly's Avatar
    Below20hzonly is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Grand Forks, MN
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    why woundnt it be just as long as the settings are correct, it would be the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    It's safe to do that?



    Pioneer 80prs
    Image dynamics xs65 comps
    JL audio w6v.2 12"
    Elemental designs nine.2x
    Alpine mrp m1000
    Audio technix deadner, mlv
    Knu and monster wiring
    1.75net tuned~34hz

  8. #8
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by Below20hzonly View Post
    why woundnt it be just as long as the settings are correct, it would be the same thing.
    But most car audio speakers are 4 ohm, and most home audio equipment put out their correct power at 8ohms right? Is the home audio equipment safe to see a 4 ohm load?




  9. #9
    Below20hzonly's Avatar
    Below20hzonly is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Grand Forks, MN
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    I have three different receivers in my house, 2 pioneers and 1 Jvc and they are both rated at 4 ohms, some may be 8 but i dont think its nearly as common and itll be fine if he just shows the speaker a little bit of power to see if it makes any noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    But most car audio speakers are 4 ohm, and most home audio equipment put out their correct power at 8ohms right? Is the home audio equipment safe to see a 4 ohm load?



    Pioneer 80prs
    Image dynamics xs65 comps
    JL audio w6v.2 12"
    Elemental designs nine.2x
    Alpine mrp m1000
    Audio technix deadner, mlv
    Knu and monster wiring
    1.75net tuned~34hz

  10. #10
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Quote Originally Posted by Below20hzonly View Post
    I have three different receivers in my house, 2 pioneers and 1 Jvc and they are both rated at 4 ohms, some may be 8 but i dont think its nearly as common and itll be fine if he just shows the speaker a little bit of power to see if it makes any noise.
    Touché




  11. #11
    VWBobby's Avatar
    VWBobby is online now PG and SS nuthugger



    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nibiru
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    Its perfectly fine to power speakers off a home receiver at moderate volume levels. I wouldn't free air a speaker at half volume, but turning it up a little to hear how it sounds wont hurt anything.

    If the speaker didn't blow, its possible it was damaged from bottoming out. You can tear spiders, surrounds, and even damage the coil former if it contacts the slug.
    I like to HPF my main speakers around 80-120hz depending on how well my subs play in the higher range (80-100hz)...



    '65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

    '02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

  12. #12
    Callingindogs's Avatar
    Callingindogs is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Fl
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Possibly blow speaker?

    I'm thinking it's damaged not actually blown, I didn't play it loud with the low pass but I think it could have been enough to damage it, it doesn't a low volumes but it makes noise way below it's rated rms handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    Its perfectly fine to power speakers off a home receiver at moderate volume levels. I wouldn't free air a speaker at half volume, but turning it up a little to hear how it sounds wont hurt anything.

    If the speaker didn't blow, its possible it was damaged from bottoming out. You can tear spiders, surrounds, and even damage the coil former if it contacts the slug.
    I like to HPF my main speakers around 80-120hz depending on how well my subs play in the higher range (80-100hz)...




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. blowing speaker...
    By IshbOO in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 07:45 PM
  2. blowing speakers
    By PV Audio in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
  3. Need Help to prevent blowing speakers
    By hargenoff in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM
  4. Amp is blowing speakers
    By BulldogSr04 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 04:25 AM
  5. Blowing Speakers
    By mwess in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum