Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Re: Polk Audio?

You can go with whatever you like, man. Personally, I'd go with dedicated midbass in the rear so when you do get a sub, you'll have something to fill in between what the subs and components can't. For now, just focus on the front stage and get that sounding as good as you possibly can. After that, move on to the next step. Nothing is more frustrating than taking on a whole system overhaul and having to fine-tune everything at once.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

-Josh- is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    You can go with whatever you like, man. Personally, I'd go with dedicated midbass in the rear so when you do get a sub, you'll have something to fill in between what the subs and components can't. For now, just focus on the front stage and get that sounding as good as you possibly can. After that, move on to the next step. Nothing is more frustrating than taking on a whole system overhaul and having to fine-tune everything at once.
    Thanks, for the advice I appreciate it. I will stick for the front stage now.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Josh- View Post
    this thread is a day old; but I just wanted to point out that, if you have not bought anything yet, and you are firmly against bright tweeters, then those JL C2s would be a very good option in the price range. The midrange on them is great and they have some very smooth midbass to them.

Those JBLs are nice as well, with a brighter tweeter than the JL set but not often reported as too bright

Basically in order of what you have listed the Alpines are the brightest, the JL's the most laidback...with the JBLs falling right in the middle.

-Josh- is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    this thread is a day old; but I just wanted to point out that, if you have not bought anything yet, and you are firmly against bright tweeters, then those JL C2s would be a very good option in the price range. The midrange on them is great and they have some very smooth midbass to them.

Those JBLs are nice as well, with a brighter tweeter than the JL set but not often reported as too bright

Basically in order of what you have listed the Alpines are the brightest, the JL's the most laidback...with the JBLs falling right in the middle.
    I appreciate the information. I am aiming for the JBL's now.

Do you have any input for these:
    JL Audio C5-525 Evolution™ C5 Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
    or these
    JL Audio C3-525 Evolution™ C3 Series 5-1/4" convertible component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Polk has been around awhile. I have a few sets of the original MM components from the 90's Blow the new ones away but Polk is decent stuff for china made. There home audio is on the line of Bose and Klipshe

-Josh- is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Polk has been around awhile. I have a few sets of the original MM components from the 90's Blow the new ones away but Polk is decent stuff for china made. There home audio is on the line of Bose and Klipshe
    I am not saying polk audio is bad, just wanted to know if they made what I was looking for in a speaker.

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Lol.. I cant believe you would put Bose and Klipsch in the same category... But this isnt a home theater forum, so I digress.

Does anyone ( @princ3cmo ; ) know where my Focal IS 165 comps would fall in that range of Alpine, JBL, and then JL?
    Last edited by sjv13; 01-04-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: add mention

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Josh- View Post
    I don't like the C3s for the simple fact that they don't seem to fit into a legit price range. They sound only very slightly better than the C2s (but not worth the extra cost) yet they do not compare to the C5s. I would go C2 or C5. The C5s are legit speakers for their online prices. In fact the C5 3 way set is one of the best for the money IMO. I would vouch for the C5s against pretty much any other set in their price range and the SQ lanes prove that JL C5s and ZRs are proven SQ winners.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    Lol.. I cant believe you would put Bose and Klipsch in the same category... But this isnt a home theater forum, so I digress.

Does anyone ( @princ3cmo ; ) know where my Focal IS 165 comps would fall in that range of Alpine, JBL, and then JL?
    I honestly couldn't tell you as thats literally the only line of Focal speakers I have yet to hear.

I don't generally like lower line Focal stuff, just didn't do it for me. But, another thing to consider when looking at comps in this price range is that they will all have a unique sound. Focals and Alpines tend to be bright, while JLs are laid back. JBL has placed themselves somewhere in the middle in that aspect.

Best thing to do is find the sound you like by auditioning some sets and stick with it. I could give you an idea of how some of these comps sound from the listening I've done but nothing compares to actually hearing them and getting an idea of what you like for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

I honestly couldn't tell you as thats literally the only line of Focal speakers I have yet to hear.

I don't generally like lower line Focal stuff, just didn't do it for me. But, another thing to consider when looking at comps in this price range is that they will all have a unique sound. Focals and Alpines tend to be bright, while JLs are laid back. JBL has placed themselves somewhere in the middle in that aspect.

Best thing to do is find the sound you like by auditioning some sets and stick with it. I could give you an idea of how some of these comps sound from the listening I've done but nothing compares to actually hearing them and getting an idea of what you like for yourself.
    ah thanks anyways. I like them alright, but that's mainly because the only other thing I've heard is my friend's type r comps on hifonics amp. haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1555 Post(s)

ah thanks anyways. I like them alright, but that's mainly because the only other thing I've heard is my friend's type r comps on hifonics amp. haha.
    If you're just looking to give something else a try that is pretty value driven, give those JBLs a shot. Also look into the Image Dynamics CTX comps. Those are my two favorite comp sets in this price range at the moment.

Quick vid I made of the CTXs in my room when I had them:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

I really like my Polk DB components ran active. They get loud without any distortion. Need at least 50+ watts RMS each side though. If ran passive, set the tweeters to -3 and rock out.

Simple SQ System:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117
    Active Crossover: Cache' CEX
    Front Stage Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-704
    Components: Polk Audio DB 6501
    Sub Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-1000m
    Sub: JBL P1224, 2.5 ft^3 @ 25 hz enclosure
    Rear Fill: Sony Xplod 5.25s on HU power lolz

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Ok so they dont have the wave radio, But Ill put every speaker that is in there Baltimore Designed American made line up against any. I have polk prototypes that blow away most on market. It helps my bass playe was a key engineer in the orignal DB and Momo series. and I have plenty of free polk stuff. Now adays noway Chinese made Crap like all the old good stuff. Im a union worker so I believe in buy crap this countrty makes but I digress.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)

Polk's MM series is decent, but I believe you can get better in their price range. I'd take the JBL MS's any day over those. The dB line is a good set in its price range though.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

One thing I have heard about Polk MM speakers is that their tweeters are detailed and even bright, mid-bass is good, but mid-range is too laid back. The previous generation of Alpine Type-R (SPR-17S, which were good speakers IMO), had decent bass, average highs, but powerful and clear mid-range. Perhaps with good tuning, these differences could go away. The latest Type-Rs don't seem as popular due to new tweeters.

One thing I heard about JBL MS-62C speakers is that they're pretty good and sound nice out of box without any tuning (or at least better than most others).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

If you're just looking to give something else a try that is pretty value driven, give those JBLs a shot. Also look into the Image Dynamics CTX comps. Those are my two favorite comp sets in this price range at the moment.

Quick vid I made of the CTXs in my room when I had them:
    Interesting. How did you power that in your house?

I looked those CTXs up on the ID website. They look like they have pretty big magnets! Much bigger than my Focals anyways. I know I paid way too much for mine, but I was a noob. But it's also hard to find decent speakers with a 2.3" top mount depth.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2