Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Lows from 6x9s overpowered by subs

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Lows from 6x9s overpowered by subs

Cant hear some of the lows from my 6x9s because they get overpowered by my subs.
    Think adding some 8"s would help me get those tones to shine through?

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Lows from 6x9s overpowered by subs

Isn't that the point of putting subs in? You might want to learn how to use crossovers. You want your 6x9's to fade out and your sub to take over at a certain frequency. Just to clarify, do you know what frequencies you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

UnderFire is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

You usually don't want 2 different sets of speakers playing the same frequencies, there should be a crossover, about 60-80hz.

97 4runner, 3RZ, 5 Speed

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9887
    Mids: CDT HD-6CF
    Tweets: CDT DRT-25
    Fronts Amp: Hertz HDP4
    Sub Amp: American Bass VFL150.1
    Substage: 18" SSA ZCON
    Electrical: 160 Amp Alt, Duralast Gold, C&D270FR, 2/0 Throughout

Go2Sleep is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you want more midbass modify your doors and stick those 8's in there. Each part of your system when setup properly should play certain frequencies otherwise you have cancellation

* (2) Morel Ultimo 12's * Hybrid Audio Legathia SE Front Stage * RF 360.3 DSP * Brax 2400 * JL Audio HD 1200/1 *

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I see. Im gonna get an active crossover soon see what happens. I dont have the right amp for the 6x9s or tweets.... The amps dont offer the crossover points i need. 6x9s arent crossed over at all, because of the amp thats running them. Only offers a lpf at 400hz.... So ill get a crossover and see how it sounds from there.

You dont think ill loose any clarity by switching to 8s in the high range do you.

PS: What im talkiing about is, the low frequenciies get drown out by the bass..... Of course my 6x9s arent crossed over and the gain is all the way down, maybe after crossing them over and upping the gain those lows will be louder.

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

orphe is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1st off what kind of speakers and what kind of amp?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

rf t1693 6x9s. 100 watt rms a piece.
    amp as far as i can tell is a sony xplod XM-GTX1852-FB-R. Says 1000watts on the top but idk. 2 channel amp. No hpf on the amp, only a lpf with a max point of 400hz. all four spekers are connected to these 2 channels, and the amp is running hot. Im getting another amp sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    I see. Im gonna get an active crossover soon see what happens. I dont have the right amp for the 6x9s or tweets.... The amps dont offer the crossover points i need. 6x9s arent crossed over at all, because of the amp thats running them. Only offers a lpf at 400hz.... So ill get a crossover and see how it sounds from there.

You dont think ill loose any clarity by switching to 8s in the high range do you.

PS: What im talkiing about is, the low frequenciies get drown out by the bass..... Of course my 6x9s arent crossed over and the gain is all the way down, maybe after crossing them over and upping the gain those lows will be louder.
    What is your sub's crossover at? And what frequencies are you talking about? If it's less than 80Hz, that should be handled by the sub, that's why you put it in, and the 6x9's shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't hear them. Above that, your sub shouldn't be playing and your 6x9's should. Of course it's personal taste of where you want to set your crossovers, but my point is that they shouldn't be playing the same frequencies.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    What is your sub's crossover at? And what frequencies are you talking about? If it's less than 80Hz, that should be handled by the sub, that's why you put it in, and the 6x9's shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't hear them. Above that, your sub shouldn't be playing and your 6x9's should. Of course it's personal taste of where you want to set your crossovers, but my point is that they shouldn't be playing the same frequencies.
    Ok, the frequencies im talking about are probably betweeb 200 and 300hz. The sub crossover is lpf at 80hz. When the 6x9s play this frequency, the can barely hear it because the subs are quaking. Kinda like trying to hear a whisper over a scream. I just need the 6x9s to play the 200hz louder, thats why i mentioned getting 8's....

Do you understand exactly what im telling you.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well, being a complete n00b, I found a hpf on my head unit...... I set it at 80hz and was a big improvement. So then i uped the gain on the amp and it sounds alot better. Could improve though.
    And the frequency was actually at about 80hz. With the 6x9s playing lower frequencys before I crossed it over it was distorting this frequency.

murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

You need to learn A LOT before you attempt a proper active setup.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thats what im here for. So educate me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    Well, being a complete n00b, I found a hpf on my head unit...... I set it at 80hz and was a big improvement. So then i uped the gain on the amp and it sounds alot better. Could improve though.
    And the frequency was actually at about 80hz. With the 6x9s playing lower frequencys before I crossed it over it was distorting this frequency.
    So are you considering the problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    You need to learn A LOT before you attempt a proper active setup.
    This. You should do some reading around here on the forum. There is a lot of info if you do some searching. Do you know the difference between active and passive?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nah i think its far from solved. Faar. Heavy metal seems impossible to tune.... And im just not 100% satisfied.
    From what I gather active is pre amp, passive is after.
    And yea this forum is filled with stuff.
    Any links you got with some good reads? Im getting addicted lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Active vs. passive is concerning the crossover network. Active is electronic, passive is mechanical.

Use the search function, and look through the sticky'd threads at the top of each section.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast