Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Advice on SQ Component Speakers. Price Range $150-$300

wettems35 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Advice on SQ Component Speakers. Price Range $150-$300

I bought some boston acoustics last yr and my tweeters pretty much have blown out by now. I havent even checked if the mids or crossovers are still good. Anyway, I'm looking for some new components for sound quality. I wasnt really happy with the bostons. They will have to be 5.5's. Ive looked into the hybrid audio Imagines and have read good things. What other components rival those or trumps those in your opinion? Same price range of course

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: Advice on SQ Component Speakers. Price Range $150-$300

Beyma SCK50 5 25" 280 Watt Pair 2 Way Complete Component Speaker System | eBay
    One of my nephews has this set, in a toyota xcab,little modification we did to make them fit in the 4x6 existing mounting area, but they sound absolutely fantastic on an old school Alpine Duo-B 3525..great speakers..I was going to recommend Hertz HSK, but about a$100 over your budget,,excellent SQ speakers

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I have HAT Imagine 5.25's in my current install and they have good and bad points for me. They take power well, have great midbass and overall are really smooth sounding. But not as detailed as I like and certainly way different than any Boston speaker.

The Hertz ESK is within your budget too.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    Beyma SCK50 5 25" 280 Watt Pair 2 Way Complete Component Speaker System | eBay
    One of my nephews has this set, in a toyota xcab,little modification we did to make them fit in the 4x6 existing mounting area, but they sound absolutely fantastic on an old school Alpine Duo-B 3525..great speakers..I was going to recommend Hertz HSK, but about a$100 over your budget,,excellent SQ speakers
    Interesting find. What would you compare them to overall?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Sonic. is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the price, the hat is hard to beat.

PHD - USA is online now I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

I can get you a good deal on some PHD MF series components. I would put money on the fact that they would sound better than the imagines. Hell, even the CF line should sound about equal with the imagines. PHD - Speakers - Model MF 5.1 KIT -

PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    I have HAT Imagine 5.25's in my current install and they have good and bad points for me. They take power well, have great midbass and overall are really smooth sounding. But not as detailed as I like and certainly way different than any Boston speaker.

The Hertz ESK is within your budget too.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Interesting find. What would you compare them to overall?
    i think that i would compare them to the older MB Quarts actually,,smooth clear and pretty clean,tweets are pretty crisp if you want, but can be quite smooth as well,,excellent midrange..go a little lower than a few that you hear or see on the market..If you want the best any speaker can offer,it also comes with the price of an excellent amplifier.I chose this amp, for one i had,two, this is considered one of the best version from Alpine in sq, and no joke in a bit of power.great speakers.i recommend them

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I've heard mixed reviews about the Imagines as well. @West ; wasn't too hot on them due to poor imaging quality. Plus, at 300 it would max out your budget. My personal recommendations would be Massive Audio CK6X, JBL MS-62c, Focal Polyglass (tweeters are touchy, though...placement is key), and even Sundown's new comps. Suprisingly enough, even though Jacob's not marketing the comps as a SQ set (he's working on prototyping his SQ line soon), they've been great performers.

I personally love my MS comps and once I have everything deadened and in place, you'll see a review for mine. So far, let me just say even my wife who's a car audio noob and not an audio snob could notice the massive jump in clarity and separation of notes. We heard basslines nonexistent in songs we'd previously heard, too, which brings a permanent smile to my face.

As with all speakers, though, your install is going to be key, so keep that in mind. Are you planning on doing this yourself?

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ge_off_me View Post
    I can get you a good deal on some PHD MF series components. I would put money on the fact that they would sound better than the imagines. Hell, even the CF line should sound about equal with the imagines. PHD - Speakers - Model MF 5.1 KIT -
    pm me bff price on the phd's

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews about the Imagines as well. @West ; wasn't too hot on them due to poor imaging quality. Plus, at 300 it would max out your budget. My personal recommendations would be Massive Audio CK6X, JBL MS-62c, Focal Polyglass (tweeters are touchy, though...placement is key), and even Sundown's new comps. Suprisingly enough, even though Jacob's not marketing the comps as a SQ set (he's working on prototyping his SQ line soon), they've been great performers.

I personally love my MS comps and once I have everything deadened and in place, you'll see a review for mine. So far, let me just say even my wife who's a car audio noob and not an audio snob could notice the massive jump in clarity and separation of notes. We heard basslines nonexistent in songs we'd previously heard, too, which brings a permanent smile to my face.

As with all speakers, though, your install is going to be key, so keep that in mind. Are you planning on doing this yourself?
    The thing about speakers is a lot of it is personal preference.
    If I were the OP I would find a nice set of 3 way comps (new/used) and do a bang up install. Tweeter A-pillars and mid's in the kickpannels. Will be a gaint improvment. I am sure you could find something good ones for 300$.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    The thing about speakers is a lot of it is personal preference.
    If I were the OP I would find a nice set of 3 way comps (new/used) and do a bang up install. Tweeter A-pillars and mid's in the kickpannels. Will be a gaint improvment. I am sure you could find something good ones for 300$.
    What about the PPIs?

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

look at the mmats components and some of the dls components ,and of course the cdt es models

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

wettems35 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much are you looking to sell them for?

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

JBL MS-62C (6.5 inch woofer) have been getting good reviews all over place. Perhaps, by translation, the 5-1/4 inch version of these speakers also sounds good? I'd also look at JL Audio C5-525 comps.

As for HAT Imagine speakers, they are awesome as long as you run then fully active with crossover frequency between woofer and tweeter in the 5-6KHz range with sharp slopes. The key is to run them fully active because the supplied crossover "network" does not attenuate the tweeter sharply enough. With supplied passives, they sound very good, neutral and clear, when car is parked when engine is off, then once you start moving and turn up the volume the sound gets fatiguing. Even if you run HAT Imagine active as I suggested, it may also be a good idea to bump the frequencies above 2KHz with equalizer as a 6.5 inch woofer will have a dip in FR above about 2.5KHz (the 5 inch woofer will have dip perhaps above 3KHz). If you wish to use the passive crossovers, then consider using HAT Unity (the same woofer as Imagine, but comes with a better crossover network and Clarus tweeter).

PHD - USA is online now I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wettems35 View Post
    Who are you talking to?

PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wettems35 View Post
    it depends on which model you are interested in cut there is a few i can suggest
    CDT Audio HD 52
    Reference R5A - 2-way component 5,25 inches
    Ultimate UP5i - 2-way component 5,25 inches these are a bit more than your budget
    http://mmatsproaudio.com/proseries/ pro 5.2

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast