Closed Thread

Reload Thread: decent speaker for a garbage ride...

vain mccain is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

decent speaker for a garbage ride...

my friend has this beat up 2001 ford windstar van. the door speakers are shot and she needs some news ones. they are factory stock 5X7. got about a little less than 3" mounting depth. for power her ex left a clarion 2ch amp that was designed by jeff at arc audio. it's a clone. it does like 190 X 2 @ 4ohm. i figured while im in there, mind aswell throw in the amp to. she listens mostly to metal. it would be nice to find a 5X7 comp or coaxil with good midbass and loud. wanna keep these speakers around $200-$250

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: decent speaker for a garbage ride...

Front: (use mdf or a cheap adapter to fit)
    WoofersEtc.com - CL-S50A - CDT Audio Classic 5.25" 2 Way Component Speakers

edit: Forgot that 6.5's will work with an adapter, too... so these would be better if they can fit in the budget.
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9365-cl-...-speakers.aspx

Rear: WoofersEtc.com - SE8375 - Eclipse 5 x 7" 3 Way Coaxial Speakers

Run the CDT's off the amp and the Eclipse's off the hu. Use the remainder of budget on a couple of sheets of Audiotechnix 60 mil deadener.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

vain mccain is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmmm... ive owned cdt's in the past, eurosports. i wasnt too fond of the mid bass. the highs were pretty good.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

JL Audio C3-570 comps come with a 5x7 woofer. If you're going to make a mounting bracket for round woofers, check one of Massive Audio CK6 X convertible speakers. They can be installed as coaxial or component. Power handling is very good, as is low end extension.

Ronny is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Attaining some good mid-bass is more about the install than drivers, unless we are talking Roadmaster vs. Scan-Speak or something lol.
    Sealing up that door will make the biggest difference, but I assume those inner door skins are very open with lots of holes/access gaps and whatnot.

That's quite a bit of power, it will be tough finding drivers that will take and use that power well, I can't think of many 5x7" speakers that have high power handling. You might as well keep that amplifier turned down, and essentially use checking for bottoming out and sounding muddy when turned up etc. to set the gain and crossovers.
    Making or buying speaker adapters is not a bad idea, as it will make for more mounting depth, and be a baffle in itself. And there would be a ton more options on a good 5.25" and better yet a 6.5" set. I recommend staying away from ever using MDF in or on doors, MANY cars allow plenty of moisture on the inside of the doors, hence, the reason many manufacturers use vapor barriers. Wood, in or on most car doors is not a good idea as a whole starting with longevity's sake; it would certainly cause swelling and flaking away of the MDF eventually. I've seen it happen a hundred times. On a Windstar, well, unfortunately I can bet moisture is abundant after a rain fall. There are many vehicles out there which are probably going to be fine, like my newer Mercedes C and S-class are sealed up incredibly well (interestingly enough, being SEALED is actually part of the vehicle's safety and airbag system, but anyhow)... Of course, water can still easily head down the window glass on the outside as weatherstripping is soaked and wear away and whatnot. So, sure, the inner door skin is sealed away, but the area between the door skins can have moisture sitting in there, which means the speaker's motor and the inner side of the baffle or mounting ring will be subject to it from the inside. I highly recommend utilizing some "plastic" cutting boards, and making the adapters or baffles out of that. They work phenomenally, and if you need more mounting depth just do as many layers adhered or cemented together as you need for thickness, but I guarantee a simple Google search will find you a place that makes adapters for that vehicle.

neonblack is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Put 6.5" in. Infinity Perfects or similar. I had CDT, Diamond and didn't like either. I listen to Sabbath, Satriani, ZZ Top, Rammstein, Trower, Santana. My ADS 246 are perfect.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers
    These here would be very nice for front staging..They should be just fine on that amp..you can also get some ABS plastic sheets to make some easy speaker plates/, and pretty cheap to do..I would look at maybe doing some deaner if budget allows,or you can try these as well to protect them from getting wet also reasonably priced
    (2) 6.5" Acoustic Speaker Baffle VXT60 Pair Baffles New | eBay

Closed Thread