Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

Hello,

I have been helping my cousin with his audio system; he is out of state, so communication with him was rather difficult. I have also been purchasing products for him, because the prices here are a lot more affordable than internationally.

This brings up my current predicament. Originally, my plans for the system was very basic. From my first impression, he wanted a loud system (bass head) with pretty decent sound quality. We have already picked up 3 amplifiers. We picked up the new Reference series by Soundstream, 1) REF4.920 and 2) REF1.1000.

I was hoping to set him up with a high end component setup that has good power handling and SQ as well, maybe Focal, Cadence or Image Dynamics though I have not done much research.

The problem is, he had a fabricator in his country custom make a fiberglass door setup for him. Each door panel has 2 super Tweets, 2 midrange drivers and 2 midbass drivers; that makes a total of 12 drivers. (2 door panels)

This definitely through a curb ball at me, since his setup seemed more serious and SPL orientated than I anticipated. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like we will probably need at least another 2 channel amplifier. (Run 4 tweets on 2 channels, 4 midranges on 2 channels and purchase another amplifier for the 2 midbass drivers) From what I know, all drivers are 4 ohms, so this will be running the high-pass amps on a 2 ohm load... more SPL than SQ, but that's what he wants.

The subwoofer of choice is going to be a pair of 15 Image dynamics in a custom ported box, tuned to 32 hz. Each sub will have a REF1.1000 driving them.

My question basically has to do with the door speakers. Running 12 speakers on 6 channels is my solution, is there a better solution? Most importantly, I am looking for an active crossover or more than one active crossover to hook these speakers up to... any recommendations? How do I set this up? We are going for a SPL setup, but do want to keep as much SQ as possible.

The doors are fiberglassed and lined with deadener as well.

The head unit of choice will probably be a pioneer or alpine double din, with 3 sets of pre-amp outputs... ADVICE PLEASE!! The only thing we can't change on the setup are the 3 amps and the door speakers. TIA!

dragtek1 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

Okay just did some research and came across the Mini-DSP website. Their processor seems extremely flexible and has multitudes of adjustments: multiple crossover options, eq, delay, volume per each channel. Any other recommendations?

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

I have an Alpine 9855 for sale that would work for you

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

nismos14 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)

You would need some sort of 3 way crossover + sub, not a 2 way plus sub, not many options but the DEH-P99RS.

Also, Curve ball.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2036 Post(s)

Yeah you will want to look at each door panel as a 3 way system, only instead of using 1 tweeter, midrange, and midbass per channel you are using 2. Probably wire each in parallel. The Pio p99rs head unit can do that, or you can buy a DSP, which I'm not familiar with any, sorry. But you are correct in needing another 2 channels, for a total of six.

Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer
    High resolution photos: http://www.gilbertklessphotography.com/

nudels is offline KNOCK-KNOCK!, MOFAKOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

3way active head unit + a 2 way crossover on the mid channels to separate the mid/midbass will yield a 4way split with virtually no need for time alignment between said mids/midbass provided they are in close proximity of one another.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.???

refs; mlstrass, krazykilroy, 98ackCL23, 95k1500 , iamsonic, rustyarmadillo,alex95sl2, audiobahnfan, oldschooljunkie, oslouie, stills, rocksolid84, ellocogeorge, 350zkid, hurrication, jcorkin ,f3m4, juancolchado, coma_toast (sound_around) .. more than enough. ask, and ye shall receive.

ca.comcacodiymasplc

Closed Thread