Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

dragtek1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

Hello,

I have been helping my cousin with his audio system; he is out of state, so communication with him was rather difficult. I have also been purchasing products for him, because the prices here are a lot more affordable than internationally.

This brings up my current predicament. Originally, my plans for the system was very basic. From my first impression, he wanted a loud system (bass head) with pretty decent sound quality. We have already picked up 3 amplifiers. We picked up the new Reference series by Soundstream, 1) REF4.920 and 2) REF1.1000.

I was hoping to set him up with a high end component setup that has good power handling and SQ as well, maybe Focal, Cadence or Image Dynamics though I have not done much research.

The problem is, he had a fabricator in his country custom make a fiberglass door setup for him. Each door panel has 2 super Tweets, 2 midrange drivers and 2 midbass drivers; that makes a total of 12 drivers. (2 door panels)

This definitely through a curb ball at me, since his setup seemed more serious and SPL orientated than I anticipated. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like we will probably need at least another 2 channel amplifier. (Run 4 tweets on 2 channels, 4 midranges on 2 channels and purchase another amplifier for the 2 midbass drivers) From what I know, all drivers are 4 ohms, so this will be running the high-pass amps on a 2 ohm load... more SPL than SQ, but that's what he wants.

The subwoofer of choice is going to be a pair of 15 Image dynamics in a custom ported box, tuned to 32 hz. Each sub will have a REF1.1000 driving them.

My question basically has to do with the door speakers. Running 12 speakers on 6 channels is my solution, is there a better solution? Most importantly, I am looking for an active crossover or more than one active crossover to hook these speakers up to... any recommendations? How do I set this up? We are going for a SPL setup, but do want to keep as much SQ as possible.

The doors are fiberglassed and lined with deadener as well.

The head unit of choice will probably be a pioneer or alpine double din, with 3 sets of pre-amp outputs... ADVICE PLEASE!! The only thing we can't change on the setup are the 3 amps and the door speakers. TIA!

dragtek1 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

Okay just did some research and came across the Mini-DSP website. Their processor seems extremely flexible and has multitudes of adjustments: multiple crossover options, eq, delay, volume per each channel. Any other recommendations?

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

I have an Alpine 9855 for sale that would work for you

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

You would need some sort of 3 way crossover + sub, not a 2 way plus sub, not many options but the DEH-P99RS.

Also, Curve ball.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yeah you will want to look at each door panel as a 3 way system, only instead of using 1 tweeter, midrange, and midbass per channel you are using 2. Probably wire each in parallel. The Pio p99rs head unit can do that, or you can buy a DSP, which I'm not familiar with any, sorry. But you are correct in needing another 2 channels, for a total of six.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

nudels is offline KNOCK-KNOCK!, MOFAKOO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3way active head unit + a 2 way crossover on the mid channels to separate the mid/midbass will yield a 4way split with virtually no need for time alignment between said mids/midbass provided they are in close proximity of one another.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.???

refs; mlstrass, krazykilroy, 98ackCL23, 95k1500 , iamsonic, rustyarmadillo,alex95sl2, audiobahnfan, oldschooljunkie, oslouie, stills, rocksolid84, ellocogeorge, 350zkid, hurrication, jcorkin ,f3m4, juancolchado, coma_toast (sound_around) .. more than enough. ask, and ye shall receive.

ca.comcacodiymasplc

Closed Thread