Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Question regarding 6.5" comp & rear speakers

Hello everyone...

Just registered tonight on the forum after browsing for the past week. Excellent forum you guys have here, with great information!

I am currently looking to put a modest system in my vehicle (99 Acura Integra GSR hatch-back). I recently picked up the Alpine CDA-9813 as my headunit due to the MP3 playback and previous experience with the brand. I am now looking for a set of 6.5" component speakers. I intend to run an amp to them when I also purchase my sub, but for the first couple of months, they will have to suffice using the power from the HU.

I have been debating the many choices offered in the 6.5" comp variety. I had considered picking up a set of the Alpine Type-S 6.5" comp (SPS-171A) for up front and a set of the Alpine Type-S 6.5" coaxials (SPS-170A) for the rear. However, after browsing through many of the threads I've started to reconsider. I have heard wonderful things about the CDT CL-61a which have piqued my interest, especially when I found out that they may be available for roughly the same price as the Alpines. Unfortunately it seems that I missed out on the deal that TheZeb had on the CDT CL-61a's.

As for my question, should I use a coaxial speaker in the the rear of the car? At one time I was under the impression that it was better to use a midbass speaker in the rear and only have the tweeters up front. This was another reason why I thought about going with the CDT's. After researching them a bit more, I found that they offered a separate 6.5" midbass/midrange driver (CL-6) that I believe would work well with the CL-61a's. I was all set to purchase both sets until I found that they were out-of-stock on the CL-61a's. =(

Looking back at the Alpine's, I notice that they do not offer a separate midbass only speaker in their Type-S, Type-R, or Type-X (non-flagship) line. The have a full-range coaxial only.

Any thoughts on whether I should go with a coaxial or full-range speaker in the rear instead of a midbass/midrange only speaker?

I would like to stay around the $200-$250 range for a set of comp and rear speakers. Any insight would be appreciated.

sungwei is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question regarding 6.5" comp & rear speakers

I personally wouldn't put components in the rear just cause I think the best set up is to have your best sound up front. If you wanna fill the rear I think coaxials are fine. I"m contemplating midbass for the rear. I wanna keep all the details of sound up front. That's just my opinion though.

Spy021 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Question regarding 6.5" comp & rear speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sungwei
    I personally wouldn't put components in the rear just cause I think the best set up is to have your best sound up front. If you wanna fill the rear I think coaxials are fine. I"m contemplating midbass for the rear. I wanna keep all the details of sound up front. That's just my opinion though.
    I definitely will avoid using components in the rear. I was even a bit hesitant on using a coaxial in the rear- hence my thinking of a dedicated midbass.

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question regarding 6.5" comp & rear speakers

As has been stated, this will depend on your personal preference. If you want a solid front stage I would avoid rear speakers that are not bass oriented and give time and detail to aiming and positioning your fronts.

If you want fill then I'd go with the midbass.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

Closed Thread