User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: $2,000 - $3,000 Budget for Awesome Sound for my BMW M3. .... Help Please

Pianist718 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$2,000 - $3,000 Budget for Awesome Sound for my BMW M3. .... Help Please

Hi guys,

So, seems like there is a ton of info on home theater sound but not that much on Car Audio.

I am looking to do this once and if I ever change cars to be able to reuse most of the set up.

Anyway .... stock sound ***** even in BMW M3,. We know that. I value quality of sound, crisp, detail and a accurate punch. Not looking to blow the roof off my car or make others hear my bass 3 blocks away.

I listen to dance, pop, jazz, etc.

I have 2-3K to spend on good speakers, sub, amp, etc.

What do you guys suggest?
    is there a website where they sell high quality car audio gear?

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: $2,000 - $3,000 Budget for Awesome Sound for my BMW M3. .... Help Please

Not enough $$$ for a serious sound quality setup.

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

3. Dislikes Why So Cereal? disliked this post
    nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post
    Not enough $$$ for a serious sound quality setup.
    this^^^^

you want a serious SQ setup think about doubling that amount

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

5. Dislikes Why So Cereal? disliked this post
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a **** good start though... What is the stock speaker layout? Do you wanna do an aftermarket deck?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a serious SQ settup its more like 9K. im talking rainbow drivers, the whole deal. now, you can pull off one hell of a "budget"(i use that term VERY lightly since 3K is a fair bit of cash for a system) SQ system for that price.

Matt

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that the convertable or coupe?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

galacticmonkey is offline Wants a button like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont listen to these people. If you do the install yourself and are only paying for equipment, you can get some KILLER sound for $3k.

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
    Dont listen to these people. If you do the install yourself and are only paying for equipment, you can get some KILLER sound for $3k.
    This...3k will get you very VERY far. Keep in mind up to a point the equipment isn't what bottlenecks your setup, it's how everything is installed and laid out. You can get a $2,000 pair of speakers and it wouldn't sound any better than a $300 pair if you didn't install it correctly.

11. Likes Fi-brations liked this post
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
    this is very true. but a hardcore SQ system(by audiophile definition) is crazy expensive. personally, if ic ould spend 3K on a system i would be more than happy. you can get some really good 3-way sets for ~600 2-way fills for the back, and 2 8" subs and thats basicly done. just throw in a good quality HU and amps and ur done.

Matt

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000 is plenty enough to sound fantastic. You won't be into snobophile territory, but you can get some really good equipment for half that.

Keys to having really good sound in a car is location of front speakers (I'd avoid anything in the rear at your budget... If you knew how to make rears sound good you wouldn't be asking, and the type of install and processing needed isn't cheap), sound deadening as needed (door or kickpanel locations), and some good EQ, Crossover, and Time Alignment control.

Ideally if you're not a DIY type of guy, budget @ 800-1000$ for a good install (do your homework on who you use!) and use the rest for equipment. Trying to just throw 2000$ components in factory locations with no sound deadening will be a colossal failure and sound worse than 150$ worth of drivers in good locations.. I would suggest buying a high quality amp, source unit (or integration solution if you want to keep stock). Either will be worth the money in performance, reliability, and resale value. 350-500$ should be plenty to get into some great sounding separates, and 250$-350$ should get you into a nice substage that'll keep up with your fronts and be well balanced.

Considering all the limitations of a car as an accoustical environment, elite priced (my d!ck is bigger than yours) components are about the least bang for the buck you'll get out of all the money you can throw at this hobby.

14. Likes slim2fattycake, keep_hope_alive liked this post
    DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kangaroux and G/money hit it dead on the head. The man didn't say he was trying to compete or anything. If you're able, do the install yourself. If you've got the hard top then look at a set or two of the Hybrid Audio Clarus components, a Zed Audio Leviathian and maybe a single 10" or 12" sub. Depending on what year car you have the factory deck is pretty clean single wise and you now have a pretty dang good sq setup.

Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure about $3000 not being enough.. It almost sounds like some guys don't even want to try. Perhaps if you pay for labor, that may not be enough for some of higher grade setups. I would recommend a simple 2 or 3 way active front stage plus a subwoofer. Add rear speakers if you have a surround sound processor.

Let's start with the most important thing, a capable DSP. There are plenty. JBL MS-8, Arc, BitOne, Alpine H800, 3sixty3, etc. JBL MS-8 and Alpine H800 can tune themselves which is a good start for a beginner. MS-8 costs in the neighborhood of 700-800. Alternatively, a high end head unit like P99RS could work. Sound treatment: $200 should be plenty if using a budget supplier such as raammat.com. Amplifiers: one high performance 5-channel amplifier such as Hertz HDP5 or Alpine PDX V9 or JL HD900/5 ($600-800)? Wiring: $100. This leaves just over $1000 for speakers and sub. Start with nice proven relatively budget products. A set of very nice 2-way components that cost in the neighborhood of $500-600 (e.g. Focal Polyglass line, HAT Clarus, Hertz HSK165, etc). If you can't afford the best speakers, you can always throw in a set of $300 HAT Imagine or JL Audio C5, both proven performers and should sing well running active with good processing. A good SQ subwoofer can be obtained for under $300. E.g. Image Dynamics IDQ/Peerless XXLS/Scanspeak. Put it into a prefab sealed box with volume close for reasonable box qtc. In fact heck.. if you don't need to vibrate things outside of a car, Alpine SBR for $200 will give impressive SPL and SQ (this is Alpine's Rype R8 in Alpine's own prefab ported box, 0.6 cu ft total space used or so. This is a proven SQ subwoofer robust enough to handle subwoofer channel on a typical 5-channel amp, )

$3000 should be enough.. assuming you do the installation. One issue is that a lot of speakers may not fit due to peculiarities of European cars. It may be worth checking out HAT's Legatia Carbon edition woofers which were made with European cars in minds. They do cost a lot more, and that's just woofers without tweeters.

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you people smoking crack? Since when will $3k not get you an amazing setup? I have waaaay less than that into my gear and I have some sick shit. I mean, I source used and do all the install myself but Clarion drrz9255 3 way active on Dynaudio System 340 on Tru Tech and Linear Power is no joke.

Let's see...

For ease of use and budget let's go with a Pioneer 80prs or Alpine 9887 for the HU - $300ish
    Zed Leviathan to run the whole damn system - $800
    Woofers- low end - Exodus Anarchy - $180ish/pair.
    Tweeters - ScanSpeak Illuminators - $300ish/pair
    Subwoofer - $300-400 can get a pretty sick SQ sub.

That's less than $2k. Do the work yourself and you can get a processor or use that money for install, deadener, wire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

18. Thanks gckless thanked for this post
    Likes xmakeafistx liked this post
    Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    Are you people smoking crack? Since when will $3k not get you an amazing setup? I have waaaay less than that into my gear and I have some sick shit. I mean, I source used and do all the install myself but Clarion drrz9255 3 way active on Dynaudio System 340 on Tru Tech and Linear Power is no joke.

Let's see...

For ease of use and budget let's go with a Pioneer 80prs or Alpine 9887 for the HU - $300ish
    Zed Leviathan to run the whole damn system - $800
    Woofers- low end - Exodus Anarchy - $180ish/pair.
    Tweeters - ScanSpeak Illuminators - $300ish/pair
    Subwoofer - $300-400 can get a pretty sick SQ sub.

That's less than $2k. Do the work yourself and you can get a processor or use that money for install, deadener, wire, etc.
    The Taylor gang strikes again!

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

Fi-brations is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$3k?
    Headunit(stereo): Eclipse CD7200mkii, Pioneer P99rs or 80prs, Alpine 9887
    Front Stage Speakers: Hybrid Audio Clarus, Hertz MLK
    Rear Stage Speakers: None, they color the sound
    Subwoofer(s): I.D. Idq v3/v2, I.A. Flatlyne, Dayton HO, plenty more
    Amplifiers Brands: Zed is very nice (like Taylor said), Zapco, Arc, PPI Art, hertz, many more

04' Maxima Build
    Coming Soon

Xtant 4180c, 2100b For Sale
    Alpine MRV-1507 For Sale
    Business with: davidtemple(x2), infamous_e46, Bettrn'Reverse, splaudio, TaylorFade, Tallc, Louisiana_Crx, RidnClean, b.mena, Mike Burke, Gameovercca, Ram_Designs, Double 07

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast