Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: coaxial set up

  1. #1
    bgballin26's Avatar
    bgballin26 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stillwater, Ok
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    coaxial set up

    Looking to replace my stock 6.5 door speakers and 6x9 rear deck speakers, i have been reading that you can use coaxial type speakers and run them off the Head Unit, i'm running a Kenwood Excelon 696 deck, I'm not ready to add an amp so would it be ok to upgrade to coaxial speakers for now and add an amp later? I was looking at the Focal speakers, or maybe Infinity. I'm open to suggestions







  2. #2
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    I don't think that deck power is any more suited for a coaxial speaker than it is for component speaker. A lot of speaker families have coaxial and component version, so they're basically the same thing as far as materials/baskets/cones are concerned. The components usually have more robust crossover networks. Some say that more robust crossover networks may result in more power loss, but it can't be very big, may be up to 10%. On the other hand, if you use components you may actually need less power than with a coaxial speaker. The reason is that in a typical component install, the tweeter is usually moved closer to your head, and so you likely hear high frequencies better. This can be a double edge sword, as some cheaper components have bright, harsh sounding tweeters, so their sound gets worse if moved closer to your ears (some Infinity speakers have a tendency for this).

    For coaxial speakers, I'd try Hybrid Audio Mirus, Alpine Type-R, Pioneer D-Series. Morel Maximo. For components, I'd consider Pioneer D-series, Morel Maximo, or JBL MS-series.




  3. #3
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    ^^That is good info. If it was me, I would get a set of components up front, and you'll be fine with coaxials in the back. Get something with a high sensitivity and moderate power handling, as they will get a bit louder off head unit power and be fine once you add an amp.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  4. #4
    av83's Avatar
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Quote Originally Posted by bgballin26 View Post
    Looking to replace my stock 6.5 door speakers and 6x9 rear deck speakers, i have been reading that you can use coaxial type speakers and run them off the Head Unit, i'm running a Kenwood Excelon 696 deck, I'm not ready to add an amp so would it be ok to upgrade to coaxial speakers for now and add an amp later? I was looking at the Focal speakers, or maybe Infinity. I'm open to suggestions

    Boston SE series, for the low-power win.



    Pioneer 80prs
    ...
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    ...
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    ...
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

  5. #5
    jungstah's Avatar
    jungstah is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    i think polk db's give you a good run for your money



    Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    Stock Pioneer 4" components
    Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D
    Two SA-12's
    cruddy prefab ported box----new box otw

  6. #6
    butterMilk's Avatar
    butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Hybrid Audio has a convertible style speaker. So you can use it as coaxial, then when you feel like investing some time in tweeter placement you can "pop" the tweeter off and place it anywhere you like. And they are pretty good speakers.




  7. #7
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    Hybrid Audio has a convertible style speaker. So you can use it as coaxial, then when you feel like investing some time in tweeter placement you can "pop" the tweeter off and place it anywhere you like. And they are pretty good speakers.
    I think you mean Hybrid Audio Imagine. I wasn't impressed with their tweeters when running the stock crossover setup in component mode. The stock crossover "network" uses a first order high pass filter with a 6dB slope on the tweeter, allowing the tweeter to play a bit too much of upper midrange frequencies. I felt like the speakers sound a bit fatiguing at higher volume level because of this. Right now I run this active using 2nd order slopes on mid and tweeter at 6.3KHz, and they sound all right with this setup. A bit too laid back for my taste, but that can be fixed with eq. This is why I didn't recommend the HAT speakers in the component recommendations above. If the goal is to use HAT speakers as components with the supplied crossover network, the cheapest honest to god option would be HAT Unity, but I assume that's out of OP's budget. Someone recommended Polk db speakers, and they're should be decent for money too.




  8. #8
    butterMilk's Avatar
    butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    I think you mean Hybrid Audio Imagine. I wasn't impressed with their tweeters when running the stock crossover setup in component mode. The stock crossover "network" uses a first order high pass filter with a 6dB slope on the tweeter, allowing the tweeter to play a bit too much of upper midrange frequencies. I felt like the speakers sound a bit fatiguing at higher volume level because of this. Right now I run this active using 2nd order slopes on mid and tweeter at 6.3KHz, and they sound all right with this setup. A bit too laid back for my taste, but that can be fixed with eq. This is why I didn't recommend the HAT speakers in the component recommendations above. If the goal is to use HAT speakers as components with the supplied crossover network, the cheapest honest to god option would be HAT Unity, but I assume that's out of OP's budget. Someone recommended Polk db speakers, and they're should be decent for money too.
    Yeah imagine series, my bad. I do have to agree with you that they are bright and can be fatiguing. Are you talking about the HAT unity with the clarus tweeters? Are they any good, I thought they were the same as the imagine series with the upgraded clarus tweeter?




  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Tn
    Posts
    1,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Even Scott from HAT will tell you that running the Imagines as separates isn't a very good idea, but can be done with some modifications. I have the Clarus series and I'm very happy with them. Everyone talks about how solid the Imagine mids are so I really don't think you can go wrong with the Unity series.



    All girls are whores, just ask your mom how you got here.

    Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

  10. #10
    bgballin26's Avatar
    bgballin26 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stillwater, Ok
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Ok, so it sounds like there are plenty of options out there, and nobody mentioned Focal so i'm going to do some shopping around and see what i can't come up with, i have read good reviews on the Polk db's, i will check them out.



    Kenwood Excelon 696
    Precision Power Phantom P1000.1
    Sundown Audio SA-10 D2 wired @ 1 ohm
    Kicker 4 gauge wiring kit

  11. #11
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: coaxial set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Nut Hair Trick View Post
    Even Scott from HAT will tell you that running the Imagines as separates isn't a very good idea, but can be done with some modifications. I have the Clarus series and I'm very happy with them. Everyone talks about how solid the Imagine mids are so I really don't think you can go wrong with the Unity series.

    There is nothing wrong with running Imagines in component setup if you use active crossover. I haven't heard him saying this. The default crossover on the back of speaker may have been optimized for running them as coaxial speaker if placed off axis and far away from your head, and this is what he may have meant.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM
  2. Little Different set-up for you guys.Component or Coaxial?
    By shore in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-13-2002, 03:12 AM
  4. Hello, Does this set up seem right?
    By Adam182001 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2002, 01:45 PM
  5. Newbie at Car Audio set ups...Got a general Question..
    By <FakeFUBU05> in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2001, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum