Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Reload Thread: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

  1. #1
    Hoptologist's Avatar
    Hoptologist is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    I've had the Hertz MLK 165 for a couple years now. They are the first and only components I've ever had.

    I love them, but if I could change them, I would make them a little more smooth on the highs and more forgiving of the harshness from bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers.

    I used to run them passive, but ever since going active on my Audison LRX 5.1k, they just sound a little too- I don't know how to put it- sometimes I feel like I'm about to get a headache- from extended listening, so fatiguing I guess? Whereas I didn't notice it as much when running passive.

    I'm getting a new car soon and kind of want to keep the Audison, but get new sub and components. Plus, I love the thrill and feeling of having new and different equipment again :P

    What would be great:
    Slightly smoother highs or midrange
    Little more midbass
    Slightly more forgiving of harsher sounds - like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Jimi Hendrix (I guess I have sensitive ears) - but that will still 'rock'

    I've been listening to a lot of newer electronic/electro-pop lately on my Hertz MLK 165 because that is what sounds best on them, to me. I'd like to listen to more classic rock, rock, and alternative, but it just gets fatiguing after a while for me on the Hertz.

    I would love to hear some Morel's because I've heard they are 'warmer' but many of the Morel dealers I've called have switched to HAT. I'm looking to stay under $700, so from HAT, that would give me the Clarus C61-2. What do you guys think?







  2. #2
    shutmdown's Avatar
    shutmdown is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    have you tried running the tweeters with the different cups? The large chamber seems to be less harsh.




  3. #3
    ejschultz's Avatar
    ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Schererville, IN
    Posts
    2,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Californication is a great CD that's mixed for crap. The entire CD is clipped. By the Way is mixed decently. I'm With You is alright half the time; the other half is pretty clipped. Stadium Arcadium is, all in all, a pretty well mixed CD. Going to the stuff that's a little older, One Hot Minute is pretty good quality wise, Blood Sugar *** Magic is mixed very well but is a lot quieter than the rest of their albums, and the rest are pretty good if you get the remasters (Mother's Milk, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Freaky Styley, and the self titled album). If you don't have the remasters, they're subpar at best. Being a huge Chili Peppers fan, I've learned to disregard source level clipping when needed. As for Hendrix, I've only got a couple of his albums and I don't really listen to them all too often, at least not enough to break them down like the Chili Peppers.

    I'd say keep the MLKs and see if you can play with your EQ to tone down the tweeters rather than swapping the whole set out for something different.



    94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed




    Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

  4. #4
    Hoptologist's Avatar
    Hoptologist is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Quote Originally Posted by shutmdown View Post
    have you tried running the tweeters with the different cups? The large chamber seems to be less harsh.
    Unfortunately no, I've only been running the small chambers due to available space in my current car where they were installed, inside of my side mirrors, whatever that's called.




  5. #5
    Hoptologist's Avatar
    Hoptologist is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Quote Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
    Californication is a great CD that's mixed for crap. The entire CD is clipped. By the Way is mixed decently. I'm With You is alright half the time; the other half is pretty clipped. Stadium Arcadium is, all in all, a pretty well mixed CD. Going to the stuff that's a little older, One Hot Minute is pretty good quality wise, Blood Sugar *** Magic is mixed very well but is a lot quieter than the rest of their albums, and the rest are pretty good if you get the remasters (Mother's Milk, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Freaky Styley, and the self titled album). If you don't have the remasters, they're subpar at best. Being a huge Chili Peppers fan, I've learned to disregard source level clipping when needed. As for Hendrix, I've only got a couple of his albums and I don't really listen to them all too often, at least not enough to break them down like the Chili Peppers.

    I'd say keep the MLKs and see if you can play with your EQ to tone down the tweeters rather than swapping the whole set out for something different.
    Good to know about RHCP, ill have to get the remasters. That said, when I get the new car, everything is going to be swapped out anyways out of my current ride, and I always enjoy getting new 'toys' lol. I guess I could try the large chambers first, do you think it would be tough to find something on par or better than the mlk?

    Also Also my Pioneer deh 5100ub deck only has a 7 band eq. I have the highs down a notch. I love the pioneers because of their direct iPod control through USB.




  6. #6
    Hoptologist's Avatar
    Hoptologist is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    I think it's not the highs that kind of give me the onset of a headache, but the midrange. On my EQ, lowering the 2k band and 5k band make the most improvement. The next band is 12.5k and it sounds fine at 'even' or even +1.

    I don't know what I want to do. I kind of have the upgrade bug, or just the want for a new/different sound, but definitely wouldn't want to downgrade. Smoother midrange and more midbass would be awesome.




  7. #7
    shutmdown's Avatar
    shutmdown is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoptologist View Post
    I think it's not the highs that kind of give me the onset of a headache, but the midrange. On my EQ, lowering the 2k band and 5k band make the most improvement. The next band is 12.5k and it sounds fine at 'even' or even +1.

    I don't know what I want to do. I kind of have the upgrade bug, or just the want for a new/different sound, but definitely wouldn't want to downgrade. Smoother midrange and more midbass would be awesome.
    quick question what are you crossover points? Not sure if you have the latest model or the previous model, but I believe the crossover points of the passives were 2.5k @ 12db slope. What do you have it crossed at the moment? adjusting the 5k band will most likely be apparent in the tweeters so maybe play with your crossover points




  8. #8
    ejschultz's Avatar
    ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Schererville, IN
    Posts
    2,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    You could always just send the speakers to me, I'll test them out in my Jeep. If they're good, I'll send them back. If they suck, I'll just keep em so you don't have to worry about having shitty speakers.



    94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed




    Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

  9. #9
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    I would check out the Focals or the raimbow germanium they are smoother and may sound better with bad recordings.




  10. #10
    shutmdown's Avatar
    shutmdown is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    havent auditioned the rainbow germaniums, but i think most of the focals had a harsher tweeter than the mlk's




  11. #11
    Hoptologist's Avatar
    Hoptologist is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Quote Originally Posted by shutmdown View Post
    quick question what are you crossover points? Not sure if you have the latest model or the previous model, but I believe the crossover points of the passives were 2.5k @ 12db slope. What do you have it crossed at the moment? adjusting the 5k band will most likely be apparent in the tweeters so maybe play with your crossover points
    Can't remember off hand, I'll have to check and post later. They are the previous model (not the new ones that came out this year). It might also just be my car that I've growing to dislike lol. It's old and even though it has a ton of deadening, I'm sure a new car one would have better interior acoustics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
    You could always just send the speakers to me, I'll test them out in my Jeep. If they're good, I'll send them back. If they suck, I'll just keep em so you don't have to worry about having shitty speakers.
    :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    I would check out the Focals or the raimbow germanium they are smoother and may sound better with bad recordings.
    I would love to hear some Rainbows, but the closest dealer is like 10 hours away according to their website list. Do the Germaniums fall in their mid-range in their speaker lineup?

    Quote Originally Posted by shutmdown View Post
    havent auditioned the rainbow germaniums, but i think most of the focals had a harsher tweeter than the mlk's
    I always thought of Focals as bright too, from reading about them.




  12. #12
    shadow's Avatar
    shadow is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dallas,Texas
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    I have the ML1600 ML700 and ML280
    Smooth ....
    PS. If ya want laid back check out Morel...




  13. #13
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    There are more a couple of more expensive models in the Rainbow line I think.

    Maybe you need an HU that has more EQ bands, or a sound processor with time delay, better hi/low pass crossovers.

    It is difficult, tweeter placement is a big factor, you need to try different positions to see what works better, maybe placing them on the dash, maybe just above knee level.

    You already have great speakers, maybe you need other components to get the most from them.




  14. #14
    ejschultz's Avatar
    ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Schererville, IN
    Posts
    2,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    You could get a new HU and possibly a new amp to allow you to go active. That'd allow you to tone down the tweeter entirely rather than just EQing it down. The harshness of the tweeters is the main reason I went active in my Jeep. The passive crossovers, even at their lowest setting, passed too much power onto the tweeters.



    94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed




    Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

  15. #15
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Re: Upgrade / Sidegrade from Hertz MLK 165

    Active is the way to go if the op is willing to be patient to set it, an HU with a good HP LP crossover or a 3 way may be better. The amp used can make a difference in the sound too. I would start with the HU, then spend $600 plus if that does not help. [:-)




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hertz mlk 165 vs hertz m2
    By gamecock guru in forum Speakers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 03:47 AM
  2. Hertz MLK 165
    By kramster in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
  3. Morel Supremo Vs Hertz Mlk 165
    By DIPKICK88 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
  4. Morel Supremo Vs Hertz Mlk 165
    By DIPKICK88 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
  5. Morel Supremo Vs Hertz Mlk 165
    By DIPKICK88 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 08:36 AM

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum