Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: pro audio

splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

pro audio

so im thinking about changing up my front stage, and iv seen alot of stuff on pro audio, what the difference between pro audio stuff and regular speakers? are they just designed to get loud? if that is so that is not what im looking for. i want great sq but the abilitty to get loud.

im thinking about trying out these tweets:

BČ audio - Sweet like Danish

and ill pair them up with the b2 es6.1 component.

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

Seraphim38 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: pro audio

Given that I work for one of the largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment in the world, I can speak on this topic with some authority. A few tidbits:

Professional/commercial audio drivers are commonly higher resistance than are found in car audio applications.
    Professional/commercial audio speakers typically contain compression drivers, unlike the tweeters found in cars. Professional application compression drivers need to be mounted into horns, and performance quality is highly dependent upon the design of the horn.

The items listed on your link are not "professional audio components". I define professional drivers as ones that are used in a setting where the reproduction of sound is contracted as a service and charged for. Small 'bullet tweeters' like that aren't installed in any real, viable commercial applications except maybe some crappy entry level dance club box that nobody buys. In a car they might be ok, but I can't say whether those particular drivers are decent or not because I don't have any personal experience with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    so im thinking about changing up my front stage, and iv seen alot of stuff on pro audio, what the difference between pro audio stuff and regular speakers? are they just designed to get loud? if that is so that is not what im looking for. i want great sq but the abilitty to get loud.

im thinking about trying out these tweets:

BČ audio - Sweet like Danish

and ill pair them up with the b2 es6.1 component.
    Madisound Speaker Store
    I would look into these in multiples, if needed for SQ and volume
    these too:
    Madisound Speaker Store

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
    Given that I work for one of the largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment in the world, I can speak on this topic with some authority. A few tidbits:

Professional/commercial audio drivers are commonly higher resistance than are found in car audio applications.
    Professional/commercial audio speakers typically contain compression drivers, unlike the tweeters found in cars. Professional application compression drivers need to be mounted into horns, and performance quality is highly dependent upon the design of the horn.

The items listed on your link are not "professional audio components". I define professional drivers as ones that are used in a setting where the reproduction of sound is contracted as a service and charged for. Small 'bullet tweeters' like that aren't installed in any real, viable commercial applications except maybe some crappy entry level dance club box that nobody buys. In a car they might be ok, but I can't say whether those particular drivers are decent or not because I don't have any personal experience with them.
    I agree, I have ran live sound production in clubs and outdoor venues for a few years. I have worked for a cpl large production companies in the MD area as a monitor engineer and front of house. In my experience the tweeters would be 1 difficult to mount since they need the horn and I dont believe PA tweets would sound good in a car. Most of them are 8 ohms and can take a ton of power. In my one rig which is my small set up I have my tops powered with 1000 watt QSC power amps. I never deter anyone from trying stuff I just have never thought it would be feasable.

VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I'm working on doing the same as OP; would these tweets work in a car environment? Madisound Speaker Store

References: BigSix,

This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

ya i changed my mind lol, its not what im looking for. it looked interesting to try but dont think i would be happy with the end result. got something else in the works now

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I have never been a fan of pro audio in cars...but that is just me lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

too close and personal...My head starts aching looking at those bullet tweeters

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    ya i changed my mind lol, its not what im looking for. it looked interesting to try but dont think i would be happy with the end result. got something else in the works now
    If you go with the B2 comps, do a review, bro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    I agree, I have ran live sound production in clubs and outdoor venues for a few years. I have worked for a cpl large production companies in the MD area as a monitor engineer and front of house. In my experience the tweeters would be 1 difficult to mount since they need the horn and I dont believe PA tweets would sound good in a car. Most of them are 8 ohms and can take a ton of power. In my one rig which is my small set up I have my tops powered with 1000 watt QSC power amps. I never deter anyone from trying stuff I just have never thought it would be feasable.
    check these out. They mount under the dash and hang parallel with the bottom of the dash line:

1" Compression Driver
    1.75" Beryllium Diaphram
    RotoMount
    Frequency Response: 500Hz to 20kHz
    Recommend Crossover Frequency: 800Hz.
    Power Handling: 35 watts RMS
    Sensitivity: 110dB 1w/M
    Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms
    Size: Mouth - 2.5" high x 18" wide x 11.5" deep
    Motor height - 5.75"
    SpeakerWorks/USD Audio Install Gallery scroll through the top menus and notice the drivers used in the winningest Pro car in Car Audio Competition history (circa.1990)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    If you go with the B2 comps, do a review, bro.
    im gonna wait for the new b2 comp set to come out, the refernce line. there gonna be geared towards sq like there new reference woofer. they are suppost to be comparable to the higher end morel and scan speak drivers.

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

12. Likes quackhead liked this post
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The B2 comps you linked are more like what is considered PA in the car audio world.

You need to define your idea of SQ and go from there. Imaging, staging, ect... can be achieved with any set of speakers. Tonality is what will be different between PA stuff and regular car audio stuff.

I've done numerous set ups with both and personally enjoy the PA stuff more now. Usually it's not as strong in the midbass region but has more of an in your face sound in the midrange area. Tweeters can be harsh and shrilly if overpowered, but set them up properly and they have a lot of top end and a full bodied sound.

The normal mids I've run seem to have a little fuller sound for lack of a better word. The Alpine Pro tweeters are still my favs as I'm partial to ring radiators when it comes to a reg tweeter.

I run Klipsch Horns in the home so perhaps I'm more accustomed to that type of sound...

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

I've chatted with Jay about the es6.1 i's and he said the new line is upgraded. Is that the ones you're talking about? Or are they releasing another dedicated reference line?

He said the es6.1's are actually run in a ton of SQ builds overseas and do quite well. For the price, they're basically impossible not to audition.

And PA drivers sound like shit in a car. To me. If you want loud and SQ, get multiples of quality drivers. Not loud, crappy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    I've chatted with Jay about the es6.1 i's and he said the new line is upgraded. Is that the ones you're talking about? Or are they releasing another dedicated reference line?

He said the es6.1's are actually run in a ton of SQ builds overseas and do quite well. For the price, they're basically impossible not to audition.

And PA drivers sound like shit in a car. To me. If you want loud and SQ, get multiples of quality drivers. Not loud, crappy ones.
    You just haven't heard a good PA set up playing real music and not turned up to max distortion. I hate PA stuff when I first heard it as it was horrible sounding, mostly because of how they users had it set up. Most run no xovers so all speakers play full range, plus they over power them and jack up the EQ settings.

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    You just haven't heard a good PA set up playing real music and not turned up to max distortion. I hate PA stuff when I first heard it as it was horrible sounding, mostly because of how they users had it set up. Most run no xovers so all speakers play full range, plus they over power them and jack up the EQ settings.
    You're right. And it was an unfounded blanket statement. I never heard Richard Clark's car and I heard it was all PA stuff. How many people run PA gear set it up correctly? 0.000001%? People get PA crap because it's cheap and loud.

I'm overly sensitive to midrange frequencies too so PA stuff gives me a headache. It sounds more like "Public Address" than "Pro Audio" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast