Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Reload Thread: pro audio

  1. #1
    splwj47's Avatar
    splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Great White North
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    pro audio

    so im thinking about changing up my front stage, and iv seen alot of stuff on pro audio, what the difference between pro audio stuff and regular speakers? are they just designed to get loud? if that is so that is not what im looking for. i want great sq but the abilitty to get loud.

    im thinking about trying out these tweets:

    BČ audio - Sweet like Danish

    and ill pair them up with the b2 es6.1 component.



    2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz




  2. #2
    Seraphim38's Avatar
    Seraphim38 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Given that I work for one of the largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment in the world, I can speak on this topic with some authority. A few tidbits:

    Professional/commercial audio drivers are commonly higher resistance than are found in car audio applications.
    Professional/commercial audio speakers typically contain compression drivers, unlike the tweeters found in cars. Professional application compression drivers need to be mounted into horns, and performance quality is highly dependent upon the design of the horn.

    The items listed on your link are not "professional audio components". I define professional drivers as ones that are used in a setting where the reproduction of sound is contracted as a service and charged for. Small 'bullet tweeters' like that aren't installed in any real, viable commercial applications except maybe some crappy entry level dance club box that nobody buys. In a car they might be ok, but I can't say whether those particular drivers are decent or not because I don't have any personal experience with them.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    so im thinking about changing up my front stage, and iv seen alot of stuff on pro audio, what the difference between pro audio stuff and regular speakers? are they just designed to get loud? if that is so that is not what im looking for. i want great sq but the abilitty to get loud.

    im thinking about trying out these tweets:

    BČ audio - Sweet like Danish

    and ill pair them up with the b2 es6.1 component.
    Madisound Speaker Store
    I would look into these in multiples, if needed for SQ and volume
    these too:
    Madisound Speaker Store




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  4. #4
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
    Given that I work for one of the largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment in the world, I can speak on this topic with some authority. A few tidbits:

    Professional/commercial audio drivers are commonly higher resistance than are found in car audio applications.
    Professional/commercial audio speakers typically contain compression drivers, unlike the tweeters found in cars. Professional application compression drivers need to be mounted into horns, and performance quality is highly dependent upon the design of the horn.

    The items listed on your link are not "professional audio components". I define professional drivers as ones that are used in a setting where the reproduction of sound is contracted as a service and charged for. Small 'bullet tweeters' like that aren't installed in any real, viable commercial applications except maybe some crappy entry level dance club box that nobody buys. In a car they might be ok, but I can't say whether those particular drivers are decent or not because I don't have any personal experience with them.
    I agree, I have ran live sound production in clubs and outdoor venues for a few years. I have worked for a cpl large production companies in the MD area as a monitor engineer and front of house. In my experience the tweeters would be 1 difficult to mount since they need the horn and I dont believe PA tweets would sound good in a car. Most of them are 8 ohms and can take a ton of power. In my one rig which is my small set up I have my tops powered with 1000 watt QSC power amps. I never deter anyone from trying stuff I just have never thought it would be feasable.




  5. #5
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    I'm working on doing the same as OP; would these tweets work in a car environment? Madisound Speaker Store



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  6. #6
    splwj47's Avatar
    splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Great White North
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    ya i changed my mind lol, its not what im looking for. it looked interesting to try but dont think i would be happy with the end result. got something else in the works now



    2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

  7. #7
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    I have never been a fan of pro audio in cars...but that is just me lol




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    too close and personal...My head starts aching looking at those bullet tweeters




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    ya i changed my mind lol, its not what im looking for. it looked interesting to try but dont think i would be happy with the end result. got something else in the works now
    If you go with the B2 comps, do a review, bro.




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    I agree, I have ran live sound production in clubs and outdoor venues for a few years. I have worked for a cpl large production companies in the MD area as a monitor engineer and front of house. In my experience the tweeters would be 1 difficult to mount since they need the horn and I dont believe PA tweets would sound good in a car. Most of them are 8 ohms and can take a ton of power. In my one rig which is my small set up I have my tops powered with 1000 watt QSC power amps. I never deter anyone from trying stuff I just have never thought it would be feasable.
    check these out. They mount under the dash and hang parallel with the bottom of the dash line:



    1" Compression Driver
    1.75" Beryllium Diaphram
    RotoMount
    Frequency Response: 500Hz to 20kHz
    Recommend Crossover Frequency: 800Hz.
    Power Handling: 35 watts RMS
    Sensitivity: 110dB 1w/M
    Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms
    Size: Mouth - 2.5" high x 18" wide x 11.5" deep
    Motor height - 5.75"
    SpeakerWorks/USD Audio Install Gallery scroll through the top menus and notice the drivers used in the winningest Pro car in Car Audio Competition history (circa.1990)




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  11. #11
    splwj47's Avatar
    splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Great White North
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    If you go with the B2 comps, do a review, bro.
    im gonna wait for the new b2 comp set to come out, the refernce line. there gonna be geared towards sq like there new reference woofer. they are suppost to be comparable to the higher end morel and scan speak drivers.



    2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

  12. Likes quackhead liked this post
  13. #12
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    The B2 comps you linked are more like what is considered PA in the car audio world.

    You need to define your idea of SQ and go from there. Imaging, staging, ect... can be achieved with any set of speakers. Tonality is what will be different between PA stuff and regular car audio stuff.

    I've done numerous set ups with both and personally enjoy the PA stuff more now. Usually it's not as strong in the midbass region but has more of an in your face sound in the midrange area. Tweeters can be harsh and shrilly if overpowered, but set them up properly and they have a lot of top end and a full bodied sound.

    The normal mids I've run seem to have a little fuller sound for lack of a better word. The Alpine Pro tweeters are still my favs as I'm partial to ring radiators when it comes to a reg tweeter.

    I run Klipsch Horns in the home so perhaps I'm more accustomed to that type of sound...




  14. #13
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,858
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    I've chatted with Jay about the es6.1 i's and he said the new line is upgraded. Is that the ones you're talking about? Or are they releasing another dedicated reference line?

    He said the es6.1's are actually run in a ton of SQ builds overseas and do quite well. For the price, they're basically impossible not to audition.

    And PA drivers sound like shit in a car. To me. If you want loud and SQ, get multiples of quality drivers. Not loud, crappy ones.



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

  15. #14
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    I've chatted with Jay about the es6.1 i's and he said the new line is upgraded. Is that the ones you're talking about? Or are they releasing another dedicated reference line?

    He said the es6.1's are actually run in a ton of SQ builds overseas and do quite well. For the price, they're basically impossible not to audition.

    And PA drivers sound like shit in a car. To me. If you want loud and SQ, get multiples of quality drivers. Not loud, crappy ones.
    You just haven't heard a good PA set up playing real music and not turned up to max distortion. I hate PA stuff when I first heard it as it was horrible sounding, mostly because of how they users had it set up. Most run no xovers so all speakers play full range, plus they over power them and jack up the EQ settings.




  16. #15
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,858
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

    Re: pro audio

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    You just haven't heard a good PA set up playing real music and not turned up to max distortion. I hate PA stuff when I first heard it as it was horrible sounding, mostly because of how they users had it set up. Most run no xovers so all speakers play full range, plus they over power them and jack up the EQ settings.
    You're right. And it was an unfounded blanket statement. I never heard Richard Clark's car and I heard it was all PA stuff. How many people run PA gear set it up correctly? 0.000001%? People get PA crap because it's cheap and loud.

    I'm overly sensitive to midrange frequencies too so PA stuff gives me a headache. It sounds more like "Public Address" than "Pro Audio" to me.



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help-Problem with Clarion Pro Audio
    By dbhittin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2002, 11:55 PM
  2. Clarion Pro Audio APA4204
    By Mark_ab in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2002, 06:20 PM
  3. Clarion Pro Audio DRX9175L
    By stereoskitz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2002, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum