Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help needed improving stock gm sound, please...

tds73 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help needed improving stock gm sound, please...

Hello all,
    I will try to be short and to the point. I am a newbie here and not a big audio buff. I have a new Buick Lacrosse with the Intellilink stereo, base with 7 speakers(not Harmon Kardon). I just had a Rockford 750 amp installed with a pioneer shallow box and a 12" ts-w3001 s2 in it. Trouble is, the stock speakers lack the mid-bass, tight thump. I have to turn down the bass on the head unit to turn up the volume and I am guessing this is where a lot of the problem comes from.
    Question is, can something be done (like crossovers) to the stock speakers so i can turn the bass back up a little to regain some mids without distorting with the lower freq notes? If so, would it be dumb to add say a 5 channel amp, 1 channel to run sub and the others to run the stock speakers and maybe crispen/clean up the sound a little. I am just not sure i want to spend all the money to replace the stock speakers. Thanks for your time.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Help needed improving stock gm sound, please...

You can put "bass blockers" inline with the speakers to keep the low bass out of them. I would start with 75Hz or 80Hz blockers (check Crutchfield) and see if that does it.

Upgrading the speakers would of course help. Adding an amp would be a good solution too, since you can set the lowest frequency the speakers wil play.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

tds73 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    You can put "bass blockers" inline with the speakers to keep the low bass out of them. I would start with 75Hz or 80Hz blockers (check Crutchfield) and see if that does it.

Upgrading the speakers would of course help. Adding an amp would be a good solution too, since you can set the lowest frequency the speakers wil play.
    Do you think adding an amp to the stock speakers would be ok ? would it be worth it?
    i know i am being cheap, but since i already have an amp for the sub, i may swap it for an amp that will do sub and others, this way there is minor cost for upgrade of amp.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The big advantage in your case is that aftermarket amps have adjustable hipass filters that let you set the amount of bass that the speakers play just by turning a knob. It's almost always an improvement even with stock speakers, and gives you the ability to give more power to them if you decide to upgrade speakers in the future.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

You won't get more midbass from the stock speakers. Some $5 bass blockers would help yo get more output from the sub by removing.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Closed Thread