Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Reload Thread: Going Active

  1. #16
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    off-axis means you are closer to 90 degrees relative to the centerline of the woofer - i.e. it is aimed away from you.

    on-axis means you are closer to centerline of the wooofer - i.e. it is aimed at you.

    all speakers have substantial high frequency roll-off when off-axis.

    you can put them in the dash (and lose visibility as well as cut the dash) or you can put them in the kicks. you have plenty of kick space once you relocate some of that crap down there (behind the kick panels). i vote kicks - plenty of room to make them work and give the woofers lots of airspace so the f3 point is lower. also, you improve ITD so you are less reliant on T/A



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  2. Thanks West thanked for this post



  3. #17
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    off-axis means you are closer to 90 degrees relative to the centerline of the woofer - i.e. it is aimed away from you.

    on-axis means you are closer to centerline of the wooofer - i.e. it is aimed at you.

    all speakers have substantial high frequency roll-off when off-axis.

    you can put them in the dash (and lose visibility as well as cut the dash) or you can put them in the kicks. you have plenty of kick space once you relocate some of that crap down there (behind the kick panels). i vote kicks - plenty of room to make them work and give the woofers lots of airspace so the f3 point is lower. also, you improve ITD so you are less reliant on T/A
    How do I give the woofers more air space? I should leave the 6.5'' in the door correct?




  4. #18
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    there is no shortage of airspace in the door - there is actually too much since the volume greatly exceedes the air spring compliance air volume resulting in a "free air" configuration.

    when you're in there, i recommend adding PVC encased fiberglass batt in the cavity (see build log), that really did wonders for me.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  5. Thanks West thanked for this post
  6. #19
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Just my 2 cents here, you probably need an extra 2 channel amp to drive the tweeters and mids separate for an better active set up or drive the 6 1/2 inch drivers with a separate 2 ch amp to take full advantage of the hat components and the PR99RS.

    The tweeters and mids should be pointing towards the center between the 2 front seats for a better stage. Focals may sound better if highs are close to mids and even the 6 inch drivers.
    The hat one not so much. In any situation your head unit has plenty Of bands, like 32 bands per ch for EQ, and a time delay, the time delay will help correct any on axis or off axiss or any issues related to the distance between the drivers with any set you pick.

    Have fun! And good luck!




  7. Thanks West thanked for this post
  8. #20
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    Just my 2 cents here, you probably need an extra 2 channel amp to drive the tweeters and mids separate for an better active set up or drive the 6 1/2 inch drivers with a separate 2 ch amp to take full advantage of the hat components and the PR99RS.

    The tweeters and mids should be pointing towards the center between the 2 front seats for a better stage. Focals may sound better if highs are close to mids and even the 6 inch drivers.
    The hat one not so much. In any situation your head unit has plenty Of bands, like 32 bands per ch for EQ, and a time delay, the time delay will help correct any on axis or off axiss or any issues related to the distance between the drivers with any set you pick.

    Have fun! And good luck!
    Would a Mcc406m (mcintosh-6channel) not cut the cheese for an amp?




  9. #21
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Does anyone think ti would help if I used the McIntosh 4 channel (bridged for the 6.5'') and the Mc 6 channel (for the mids and tweeter, in bridged mode for 4 channel operation)? Would there be a big advantage there? I already have the amps, so whatever would work best is the way I'll go... I think that would be a TON of power lol

    Even if it means upgrading the alternator.




  10. #22
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Any thoughts?




  11. #23
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active





  12. #24
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    @av83 ; @pro-rabbit ;

    What do you think?




  13. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Does anyone think ti would help if I used the McIntosh 4 channel (bridged for the 6.5'') and the Mc 6 channel (for the mids and tweeter, in bridged mode for 4 channel operation)? Would there be a big advantage there? I already have the amps, so whatever would work best is the way I'll go... I think that would be a TON of power lol

    Even if it means upgrading the alternator.
    didn't read the thread, but you are wanting to bridge the 4ch on a pair of 6.5 mids and use a 6ch for another set of mids and a set of tweets?




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  14. #26
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    didn't read the thread, but you are wanting to bridge the 4ch on a pair of 6.5 mids and use a 6ch for another set of mids and a set of tweets?
    yup the 4 channel is (100x4 @ 4ohm - bridged would be 200x2 @ 4) - 6.5 mids
    the 6 channel would be (50x4 @ 4 + 100x2 @ 4 so bridging the 50's would be 100x4) - 3.5'' mids and a pair of tweets

    Would it be worth doing? Or should I just use the 6 channel as is w/o the 4 channel?




  15. #27
    av83's Avatar
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    @av83 ; @pro-rabbit ;

    What do you think?
    I think that you are going to have a very, very loud 3way setup, is what i think, lol. ...I have 100-120 rms going to each tweeter, and each mid, and its stupid loud. I'm pretty darn happy with what I'm getting out of my simple 5 speaker system, so I'm very hesitant to give you advice. I have different expectations than you, too. I sought sql on a budget, and found it. Your goals are different than mine.



    Pioneer 80prs
    ...
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    ...
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    ...
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

  16. Likes West liked this post
  17. #28
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    I think that you are going to have a very, very loud 3way setup, is what i think, lol. ...I have 100-120 rms going to each tweeter, and each mid, and its stupid loud. I'm pretty darn happy with what I'm getting out of my simple 5 speaker system, so I'm very hesitant to give you advice. I have different expectations than you, too. I sought sql on a budget, and found it. Your goals are different than mine.
    I like it loud, but not REALLY loud lol. Just was wondering if the sound quality would be better (maybe some more headroom?) dont know...




  18. #29
    av83's Avatar
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    yup the 4 channel is (100x4 @ 4ohm - bridged would be 200x2 @ 4) - 6.5 mids
    the 6 channel would be (50x4 @ 4 + 100x2 @ 4 so bridging the 50's would be 100x4) - 3.5'' mids and a pair of tweets

    Would it be worth doing? Or should I just use the 6 channel as is w/o the 4 channel?
    are you sure about those specs? bridged output is usually closer to double the 2 ohm specs per channel. bu teven if it is what you say it is, that a shitload of power... Better get some speakers that can handle it if you plan on using all that juice.



    Pioneer 80prs
    ...
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    ...
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    ...
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

  19. Likes West liked this post
  20. #30
    av83's Avatar
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

    Re: Going Active

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post

    Would it be worth doing? Or should I just use the 6 channel as is w/o the 4 channel?
    I'd do it



    Pioneer 80prs
    ...
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    ...
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    ...
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Considering going active..
    By mr Tibbs in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 12:35 AM
  2. should i go active??
    By iceteebone in forum Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 08:28 PM
  3. Going active and using an EQ
    By jacko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 11:30 PM
  4. going active
    By audiolife in forum Speakers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 03:59 AM
  5. Going Active....
    By ngsm13 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 04:22 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum